1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Same name?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by T-Hunt, Oct 26, 2009.

1. T-Hunt

T-Hunt Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

OK wasent it not possible for more then 1 person having the same name in Game..

I meen everything , every letter is perfect..

I have seen 5 people having the same name in game, same server..

And no its not mirrore image from ninja...

Kind of lost here??

2. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

As long as I remember multiple players with the same name was always possible.

Maybe it was different at the very start but I wasn't around at the beginning.

3. Tazar

Tazar Guest

There has never been a unique naming rule in UO. I have dozens of Tazar characters on Atlantic.

4. Maggie

Maggie Guest

I think you are remembering a different game.

5. Lady Arwen

Lady Arwen Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Yup, As long as I have been playing UO you have always been able to have the same name. I have quite a few characters named Arwen on Legends :)

6. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Oh.. its possible!

I remember a time when people would use their extra slots to create dopplegangers of another player's characters and then would totally screw up another player's reputation... yep... them were the days.

7. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

When I started in 1998, I used to get whacked all the time because I had the same name as one of the more notorious PKs on the shard. Once the screwup was finally figured out the bloke who was whacking me for the (non)-bounty laid off and we were pretty decent hunting mates after that.

Soooo, same names have been allowed since at least then.

8. That would be WoW....

9. Slayvite

Slayvite Certifiable

That's why it's good to put yourself into a guild, even if its just you. Guild stuff can't be duplicated.

10. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie

Never participated in Bob invasions?

11. dreadflame

dreadflame Guest

hmmm did this happen before server down?

12. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

Bob invasions were planned events by large amounts of players to <insert reason here>. Eveyone was encouraged to create a new char on a target event shard and name them "Bob". Depending on the event objective, certain recommendations for skills and dress were made.

There were also "Angry Santa" events and some others. Could be a lot of fun.

13. Ibram Vale

Ibram Vale Guest

To expand, it was the Bob Vs Fred wars, back when it was just fel. For a little while before server down, the server wouldn't save what went on, so everyone would jump on their Bob or Fred character (a complete newb character made on a selected shard) and would go to a location (when I was doing it, it was the Brit Graveyard) for all-out war.

Needless to say, it was a roaring good time, with no repercussions because it wouldn't save to the server. The selected colors were red robes for Bob, Freds wore Blue robes. On a good night, like Saturday, it would be a 30 vs 30 all-out brawl. BRING THE NOISE!!!

On anotehr note, I've always had "mirrored" characters. If one was a swordsman, I'd make another as a armsman. Saved having to explain who you were, and running two accounts, that's way too many characters to name, at any rate/

14. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Guest

it's always been capable - there's just certain names that you can't have...like Lord British or Blackthorn...stuff from UO lore

15. Altpersona

Altpersona Guest

Why does anything that isn't UO have to be WoW?

16. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

As far back as I can remember, you could always have dupe char names.
    Maybe you're thinking of account names, they have to be unique, if you try to use one already in use it will kick it back to ya, saying that name is already taken.

17. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah, I'm pretty certain WoW didn't come up with the 1 of each name restriction.

18. Sindris

Sindris Guest

Since beta anyone could use any name they cared to. There was never a duplicate rule. Which is why back when UO started there were like two dozen Raistlins, Sparhawks and however many other unoriginal/stolen names by the multitude.

My smith was a victim of one of the rep smashers back in the day. He created a carbon of my character and started talking heaps of trash at the Brit Blacksmiths where I used to do repairs. He was mad because I was selling my stuff for too cheap. People wouldn't pay his prices, they would wait for me to log on. He tried to organize shard-wide price fixing for ingots and armor sets. My guild refused and he harassed us for months.

I wouldn't mind seeing unique ID's in UO, but its been 12 years and it seems a little late in the game to bother with it.

19. Altpersona

Altpersona Guest

I like this post. ^^b

20. shanshu

shanshu Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I still have "An Angry Farmer" on Cats or Chessy.

21. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

I remember seeing a bunch of guys running around named Borg back around 99 or so.

Lorddog