1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Script Mining Protocol for Malas

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Parser, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Parser

Parser Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

May 15, 2008
    I was walking around Malas and saw another player. I said Hi and was ignored, no biggie I get that sometimes. But I see them dump ore and a gem into a bag on the porch of a private tower. So I watched and watched and watched. The char would recall in drop off and recall out like clockwork. Still not enough to verify scripting. So i stood in the recall spot and the char did not come back until I moved off of it. I figured I would block the spot with a water barrel. After doing so I came back and the char was standing on the barrel... doing nothing. Guess I learned that barrels cannot block recalls but seem to break the script.

So what is the proper way to handle a non-fel scripter? Do you page, barrel him/her, lure bad critters to the house? Or just sigh and walk away?
  2. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Jul 16, 2003
    It's against the rules to lure (or tame and release, for that matter), stuff where they might target innocents.

The rules concerning herding, and picking a location to abandon one's herd, are a bit more vague.

I wouldn't go that route, myself (it may well be against the rules), but if pages on the person do not produce results, consider more drastic action within the rules of the game. And, there are several aggro tamables that can be herded in Malas, not the least of which are the Nightmares around Umbra.

Even parking a herd of non-aggro animals around their house (but not the recall spot - that can get you smacked by the GMs) might get the message across. Intersperse a few released packies renamed for infamous reds on your shard in the herd (blocked by herd creatures where they can't wander off) to put the fear of Blackthorne in them....
  3. Inspector

Inspector Guest

bagballs work to block runes.
  4. Trinsie

Trinsie Guest

I would think if you are not in fel and can kill them, then their isn't much you can physically do by yourself against them. I would think anyone going through enough trouble to make a script for mining would not only have 1 spot marked to mine at. They would probably have a bunch of books full of marked spot, and when 1 place is blocked it would just skip it and go to the next location instead.

If you are sure they are scripting then report it. I wouldn't think sticking something in the recall location would do much at all. Or at least I wouldn't think it would.
  5. Kellgory

Kellgory Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

May 14, 2008
    Just block the spot they recall into to unload. That way they are stuck at the mining spot casting recall over and over, and if it just so happens to be in a bad spot and they get killed then oh well. Paging really isn't going to do anything but get you upset when you keep seeing them day after day afterwards, but by blocking their spot your at least letting them know that your watching them.
  6. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sep 2, 2003
    You are supposed to call a GM on the person and report them.

However, if the GM ever comes they will likley do nothing.

What EA seems to want you to do is download and run your own scripting program since it doesn't seem to be illegal.
  7. Clyde

Clyde Guest

My miner has really clumsy fingers, when he tries to handle delicate items like candleabras. He drops them quite often on the ground. :eyes: Maybe his hands are too rough from carrying ore and working near hot forges.

8. Kariny

Kariny UO Lake Superior News Reporter
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Apr 7, 2004
    I keep a garg pick ax in case of such of an event. I'm not sure if thats a bannable offence or not.
  9. If you happen to be garg mining and happen to unearth an elemental, then you have no choice but to just run away - after all you're just a miner you can't fight it. If the other guy mining right next to you chooses to stay and keep mining, that can't possibly be your problem.
  10. Fink

Fink Guest

If you said "Hi" to me, I'd ignore you too. Not because I'm unattended, but because I'm a snooty elitist. I'd wait until you came up with a proper greeting. :scholar:

One thing to keep in mind when trying to determine a player's consciousness is that nobody has to respond to you. It doesn't really help your crusade, but it's worth remembering. Good luck and may your particular gods bless you.