1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Scripting and macroing out in the open

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Guest, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello i got just a simple question! Can we get some gms working during the night shift?
    I play on Great lakes during the night when i get off work. I have noticed a ton of people sitting out in the open in luna around the bank area macroing and scripting away working there spirit speak, necro, and chivlry skills. You walk up to them and they will never say anything to you if you ask them anything. Now i know its possible that they might just be ignoring me if they are there. I do find it hard to beleve that someone can sit and push 2 macro buttons they have set up repeatedly non stop for 5 hours straight. I have tried to call and report them but i never get past the number & in que for gm.
    I loved the burning houses and all but nothing are being done about the scripters that are right out in the open. Whats the point in having a option to ask for help or report a exploiter if you have nobody to do anything about it.
    Please Help! [​IMG]

2. I'm not saying you shouldn't page on people for unattended training however...

I don't see why anyone would script skills that are so easy to work with a UO macro. Scripts do not add any benefit to skill gain only penalty, they might get caught. Scripts don't get you faster gains than the game allows normal skill use.

You don't know that their scripting/exploiting or anything else and it's not for you to decide.

I have been accused of being unattended/scripting no end of times in UO, how do I know? I was sitting there laughing at the guy wasting his time. I think it's not just possible that their ignoring you, but likely. It's always obvious when someone is 'testing' wether your attended or not, if they share my opinion that it's no ones buisness but game staff then it'd be likely that they are ignoring you.
    When people invis me while golem training to see if I'm attended or not it's them that gets paged on.

Everyone on Uhall seems convinced that everyone is scripting/hacking/exploiting most of the time it is beyond plausability.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Scripts may not gain you 'faster', as in 'more skill-gain-per-hour' ... but they gain you 'faster' in 'skill-gain-per-week', and they sure as heck gain you faster in 'skill-gain-while-asleep', no?

And until they started blowing up your house and branding you a traitor, 'no one' ever 'saw' 'anyone' get 'caught' for unattended use of UO, no?

Not that I do that mess - just that it's easy to see why some might.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I have been accused of being unattended/scripting no end of times in UO, how do I know? I was sitting there laughing at the guy wasting his time. I think it's not just possible that their ignoring you, but likely. It's always obvious when someone is 'testing' wether your attended or not, if they share my opinion that it's no ones buisness but game staff then it'd be likely that they are ignoring you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never quite understood this "ignore" attitude. Why not just say: "It´s OK, I´m here" or a simple "=)" would do too.

This whole "I was attended but I chose to ignore the person" just seems like a bad excuse an unattended person would use...

5. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I have been accused of being unattended/scripting no end of times in UO, how do I know? I was sitting there laughing at the guy wasting his time.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You're laughing about wasting everyone's time?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think players should be forced to answer to vigilante squads, but I think taking pleasure in disrupting people who are trying to do some good is a little odd. Not to mention that it also wastes the time of GMs when they have to investigate a page.

6. uo addict

uo addict Guest

Surely there's a huge difference between somebody macroing up some skills and somebody macroing to make RL money. I'm sure the GMs have better things to do than spend time on the first category, and I don't see how reporting them can be described as "doing some good". I'd call it wasting GM time.

7. Kith Kanan

Kith Kanan Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never quite understood this "ignore" attitude. Why not just say: "It´s OK, I´m here" or a simple "=)" would do too.

This whole "I was attended but I chose to ignore the person" just seems like a bad excuse an unattended person would use...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure as hell depends on my mood , if the person is coming on as a wise guy I wont reply to him/her AT ALL , and I'm allways having fun paging on the muppets who think they can try and get me killed , invising my golem because they think im afk macroing , that is a bannable offense , golem bashing but not talking to a muppet is not [​IMG]

8. Paris_Hilton

Paris_Hilton Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Surely there's a huge difference between somebody macroing up some skills and somebody macroing to make RL money. I'm sure the GMs have better things to do than spend time on the first category, and I don't see how reporting them can be described as "doing some good". I'd call it wasting GM time.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Surely there's a huge difference between somebody macroing up some skills and somebody macroing to make RL money."

Well I don't know how to tell if they are macroing blacksmithing "skill" while afk or filling blacksmith bods so they can get a valorite runic hammer to sell for 30 mill ($2 per gold = $60 real cash).

The smithing sounds for doing both things sound the same.

You don't think the guys/girls macroing afk filling bods don't sell the runics for real life cash?

How to prove the character who is afk "skill gaining" isn't someone power leveling a character for real life money?

Best rule of thumb for the afker's:

Don't.

Best rule for everyone else:

Page on them, if they are attended, then no harm done.

I expect that the scripters who are paged on most get checked by the GMs and those who get paged on only once tend to be ignored.

9. Black Majick

Black Majick Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

<blockquote><hr>

Hello i got just a simple question! Can we get some gms working during the night shift?
    I play on Great lakes during the night when i get off work. I have noticed a ton of people sitting out in the open in luna around the bank area macroing and scripting away working there spirit speak, necro, and chivlry skills. You walk up to them and they will never say anything to you if you ask them anything. Now i know its possible that they might just be ignoring me if they are there. I do find it hard to beleve that someone can sit and push 2 macro buttons they have set up repeatedly non stop for 5 hours straight. I have tried to call and report them but i never get past the number &amp; in que for gm.

Edit: For those that wanna say use paragraphs. I dont feel like it tonight. Just read the wall of text!!!! [​IMG]
    I loved the burning houses and all but nothing are being done about the scripters that are right out in the open. Whats the point in having a option to ask for help or report a exploiter if you have nobody to do anything about it.
    Please Help! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres some help. Go find something better to do. I do not see how someone training there skills is effecting your gameplay. You play your way, let them play theres. Not everyone I know plays 4-5 hours per day. I assume you do as you said you see them there 5 hours steadily casting. I get usually 1-2 per day if that. Sometimes none at all. I have admited before. I have used scripts to gain skill and only to gain skill. I am smart enough though to find hiding spots to keep the UO Wanna Be GM's off my case. I dont see the problem with macroing up my Hiding to a usable level. I have played for 107 months. I have made my fair share of new chars. Have a 5-7xGM char on almost all american shards. I play for the end game. I play to get on and just hang with friends. Go do a peerless, spawn, doom, PvP, w/e I feel like that day. Lately I have been enjoying burning through my rather large collection of stockpiled runic tools. Gotten some cool armor. So. How about you go find something you enjoy to do in game and not worry about the skill trainers. If you find someone resource farming or using scripts to gain gold/items, feel free to page on them. Be my quest. Just leave the guy who works a 40 hour week, has a baby and GF, and who also goes to school alone while he trains his chivalry up.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

No matter one's opinions on the subject, surely you can appreciate the irony that the skill you chose for your defense of breaking rules is chivalry [​IMG]

11. Guest

Guest Guest

*chuckles* well if you use scripts of course you're going to suggest people don't page on cheats.

The funniest thing is though, if you expect players to just leave you alone because you're "not hurting anyone". You're cheating, end of discussion. A player has no idea when they find a bot, whether it's a casual bot or it's been parked in various activities for months. So once said player determines that you are definitely AFK then it's down to them to call a GM to check the bot out. Walking past doing nothing has contributed to the rife cheating we have now.

But it's ok, because who gets the last laugh if you do get caught in your little hideout? [​IMG]

Wenchy

12. Paris_Hilton

Paris_Hilton Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I play on Great lakes during the night when i get off work. I have noticed a ton of people sitting out in the open in luna around the bank area macroing and scripting away working there spirit speak, necro, and chivlry skills. You walk up to them and they will never say anything to you if you ask them anything. Now i know its possible that they might just be ignoring me if they are there. I do find it hard to beleve that someone can sit and push 2 macro buttons they have set up repeatedly non stop for 5 hours straight. I have tried to call and report them but i never get past the number &amp; in que for gm.

Edit: For those that wanna say use paragraphs. I dont feel like it tonight. Just read the wall of text!!!! [​IMG]
    Please Help! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heres some help. Go find something better to do. I do not see how someone training there skills is effecting your gameplay. You play your way, let them play theres. Not everyone I know plays 4-5 hours per day. I assume you do as you said you see them there 5 hours steadily casting. I get usually 1-2 per day if that. Sometimes none at all. I have admited before. I have used scripts to gain skill and only to gain skill. I am smart enough though to find hiding spots to keep the UO Wanna Be GM's off my case. I dont see the problem with macroing up my Hiding to a usable level. I have played for 107 months. I have made my fair share of new chars. Have a 5-7xGM char on almost all american shards. I play for the end game. I play to get on and just hang with friends. Go do a peerless, spawn, doom, PvP, w/e I feel like that day. Lately I have been enjoying burning through my rather large collection of stockpiled runic tools. Gotten some cool armor. So. How about you go find something you enjoy to do in game and not worry about the skill trainers. If you find someone resource farming or using scripts to gain gold/items, feel free to page on them. Be my quest. Just leave the guy who works a 40 hour week, has a baby and GF, and who also goes to school alone while he trains his chivalry up.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Just leave the guy who works a 40 hour week, has a baby and GF, and who also goes to school alone while he trains his chivalry up."

Personally, I think you are jerking our chains here.

But let's say that you DO have all the real life stuff going on that you claim you do.

Why does that make you "special" in the world of UO?

I fail to see how being busy in real life entitles ANYONE in UO to break the agreement that THEY agreed to when they signed up to play the game?

You think I am happy that you are in the game cheating just because your account is 109 months old?

For all I know you "cheated" your way into that account.

Would I page on you if I think you are afk macroing ANYTHING?

Yes.

Would I miss you if you got banned?

No.

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to tell us that if WE don't ALLOW you to skill gain while afk in UO that you will lose your job, lost your gf, fail school and your baby will have no raisin"?

13. <blockquote><hr>

Scripts may not gain you 'faster', as in 'more skill-gain-per-hour' ... but they gain you 'faster' in 'skill-gain-per-week', and they sure as heck gain you faster in 'skill-gain-while-asleep', no?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No. [​IMG], the gain is as fast as the game allows. If their asleep then their unattended and can be caught. I don't think theres a script that can randomly improvise a conversation with a GM.

<blockquote><hr>

And until they started blowing up your house and branding you a traitor, 'no one' ever 'saw' 'anyone' get 'caught' for unattended use of UO, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually plenty have. Ingot Dude has been shut down twice. (possibly more)

As far as skill gain goes, it's no harder doing it legit than it would be with a script which only brings up one question - why take the risk if you don't gain anything. If your bothered enough about your account to train a character then you presumably wan't to keep that account.

14. <blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple reason, it's none of your buisness what I do in game. You got a problem with something I'm doing then page a GM. Don't expect me to care that you have nothing better to do.

15. <blockquote><hr>

You're laughing about wasting everyone's time?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think players should be forced to answer to vigilante squads, but I think taking pleasure in disrupting people who are trying to do some good is a little odd. Not to mention that it also wastes the time of GMs when they have to investigate a page.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not wasting their time, their wasting their own and the GM's. Yes I find it funny to think that people are so clueless that they think there is a script that makes people not take turns at swoops. Their very rarely trying to do good. I've also had people invis me repeatedly while golem training, even when it's blatantly obvious I'm attended. You think I shouldn't page on them for harassment?

16. There's certainly a number of things to think about here.

In one example, you have someone who decides that a char needs gm spirit speak to do the job he wants the char to do. He creates a legal macro for spirit speak and then uses some means to loop the macro and leaves the char unattended. And, I guess a couple days later or something, he's got what he wants, a char with GM spirit speak, which he then uses to go out and do legitimate gameplay.

In terms of what both EA and other players seriously care about, how evil was this? In context, not very.

Then say, you have a guy who's running a pot guzzling script. The script is in this case replacing personal skill and essentially creates a victim every time the guy kills someone whom his real skill level does not actually support him being able to kill. Same for if he gets away from someone where the escape wasn't really justified by the guy's real skill.

This is certainly worse than the spirit speak dude, he's someone that the non-cheaters would very much prefer to stop in his tracks. Non-cheaters don't like dying to someone who would not have been able to kill them except for their cheating. This cheat has a real element of 'evil' to it, relative to the situation.

And then, you have a guy who has an involved script done up that lets him collect some valuable resource or item in a completely unattended way. Through the use of the script and temporary accounts, he's able to collect vast in-game financial rewards which are then moved on into basically a gold-creation engine which contributes toward screwing up the whole UO economy.

Or maybe he goes a step farther and adds some duping to his repertoire.

That's the kinda cheater that gets his house burnt down (heh)... certainly the worst kind of cheater from a game-economy standpoint.

UO has already gone to some measures to help players build up skill quickly. The New Haven stuff lets you take your char up to 50 in just about anything, you can buy the skill up to 40 and then get a quest to get to 50 fast.

Based on that description of unattended macroing in Luna, it would seem that the UO people don't give too-too much of a sh*t about the people who are powering up chars in an unattended way, and neither do I. That's just people who are trying to make characters be the way they want them to be so that they can engage in otherwise normal gameplay. This is not an act that negatively impacts the game economy, nor does it create a victim.

The day they start burning down the houses of anyone found unattended macroing skills is the day I start to think that things are getting very, very weird......

17. Guest

Guest Guest

My concern with the power trainer script users (setting aside the advantage over others) is the mentality of "well I got off with that, what about doing this unattended too?"

It also creates a grey area where you get degrees of cheating as semi-accepted and others which nobody wants.

Also, some players think that because player X didn't get punished for blatantly training unattended, it's ok for them to go script BODs or whatever.

Wenchy

18. cheatings cheating anyway you look at it. And you dont have to worry about wasting a gms time because they have the messages already typed all they need to do is send.
    Thank you for your page.......blah blah blah.... we arent gonna do anything but because you already know this we wont inform you again.
    sound close??

19. That perspective makes UO out as though it is some sorta kindergarten or something. I don't feel like it's a good idea to be concerned about what we think people are going to try to 'get away with'.

I don't think it's necessary or wise to try to train people to be afraid of doing something that's officially 'wrong' even if their common sense tells them that the act is harmless to everyone and everything. Such attempts don't work well when less-than-clueful parents try it on their kids, and they work even less well on adults.

Each person and his choices need to be judged on a basis that is relative to each individual choice.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm not trying to kindergarten anyone. The more it's seen as unpunished, the more players cheat. "He got off with it, so I will too".

It's how we got in the mess UO is with all the bots. Nobody thinks they'll get caught, nobody thinks there's much point reporting cheats. Round and round in circles.

Wenchy

21. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Simple reason, it's none of your buisness what I do in game. You got a problem with something I'm doing then page a GM. Don't expect me to care that you have nothing better to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

So people who are concerned about the cheating/scripting that´s going on in this game are just people who "have nothing better to do"?

The way I see it, there´s two types of players in this game:

1. The honest people.
    2. The cheating people.

I think I know which side you´re on...

Like I said...

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

22. <blockquote><hr>

So people who are concerned about the cheating/scripting that´s going on in this game are just people who "have nothing better to do"?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no means for any player to know wether or not someone is attended short of being in the same room irl. So yeah when it comes down to it their often wasting their time.

<blockquote><hr>

1. The honest people.
    2. The cheating people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a very narrow way of seeing it. There also people who think their being an honest player but when they've paged and not got the answer they wanted (regardless of not having any proof) will start harassing someone.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I expect you do, like most other players you assume your right. When a GM shows up accepts that I'm attended and leaves it's a shame the person paging can't accept it and usually starts harassing me, causing me to have to page on them, as their harassment is usually in the journal action gets taken.

You call it an excuse that I don't want to talk to people when training. If it's an excuse that would imply I need to justify what I'm doing to someone, as that someone will never be another player that can only mean it was given to a GM. So if they were unattended how would they give the excuse? If they were unattended the GM would have taken action. Which would be the case resolved. As your not informed of that action your only way of knowing if a GM does something is if the player suddenly dissapears. If the player doesn't dissapear you (probably) like most players will assume the GM either didn't check or was wrong and start griefing the player. Making you worse than they are.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Here here goooo wenchy

24. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

There is no means for any player to know wether or not someone is attended short of being in the same room irl. So yeah when it comes down to it their often wasting their time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't assume we're all so stupid that we can't spot bots, or that all players report falsely. I've not been proved wrong yet. I check each and every bot with loving care, then I page on their worthless backside. It's time well spent when I have 1 less bot to trip over [​IMG]

Wenchy

25. Paris_Hilton

Paris_Hilton Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

1. The honest people.
    2. The cheating people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a very narrow way of seeing it. There also people who think their being an honest player but when they've paged and not got the answer they wanted (regardless of not having any proof) will start harassing someone.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I expect you do, like most other players you assume your right. When a GM shows up accepts that I'm attended and leaves it's a shame the person paging can't accept it and usually starts harassing me, causing me to have to page on them, as their harassment is usually in the journal action gets taken.

You call it an excuse that I don't want to talk to people when training. If it's an excuse that would imply I need to justify what I'm doing to someone, as that someone will never be another player that can only mean it was given to a GM. So if they were unattended how would they give the excuse? If they were unattended the GM would have taken action. Which would be the case resolved. As your not informed of that action your only way of knowing if a GM does something is if the player suddenly dissapears. If the player doesn't dissapear you (probably) like most players will assume the GM either didn't check or was wrong and start griefing the player. Making you worse than they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bottom line is we ALL have the option to page a GM and it is OUR choice to do it or not to do it.

I choose to page on afking scripters, and I don't give a crap about their crybaby excuses about why they're "special" (and have special NEEDS) and should be allowed to break the rules.

Just like you have the option to page if someone is harrassing you ingame.

So page already.

26. <blockquote><hr>

Don't assume we're all so stupid that we can't spot bots, or that all players report falsely. I've not been proved wrong yet. I check each and every bot with loving care, then I page on their worthless backside. It's time well spent when I have 1 less bot to trip over

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you spot them?

I've had people grief me after a GM visit because the player thought the GM didn't check. Making them the rule rule breaker.

I've had people accuse me of scripting playing my tamer at swoops, because their crys of 'dude' &amp; 'wtf' didn't make me want to take turns with them.

I've had someone repeatedly invis me while golem training, even after proving I was attended by telling them to stop. They maintained that I was unattended because it took me 30 seconds to reply. I told them that was because I was filling out a harassment page. (they didn't understand why)

Any of those three sound like a non stupid player to you? I go by experience and in my experience people are stupid, page on anything and don't accept it when their proved wrong.

27. Paris_Hilton

Paris_Hilton Guest

Lol.

"I've had people accuse me of scripting playing my tamer at swoops..."

You just don't mess around at swoops!

I was at swoops once while sick with a cold. Was casting my 2 evs and then closing my eyes because it felt like I was being repeatedly stabbed in the sinuses by sharp little needles.

Well I know it's about time to recast my evs so I open my eyes and there's this dead guy standing there in front of me.

I try to rez him but it doesn't work...

I think he said something like "Paris, are you there?"

Which a dead person might ask if he needed a rez and you didn't cast it the second he ran up to you...

Meanwhile I am moving off swoop hill because I am thinking we need to move so I can rez him...

But I said to the dead guy (NO I still didn't realize it was a GM): "Yeah, I'm just feeling sleepy".

(Which was lots easier than typing I am sick and shouldn't even be out of bed much less sitting up playing a video game and because it feels like my sinuses are being stabbed with tiny little needles I am casting my 2 evs and then closing my eyes for a few seconds while the evs kill the swoop.)

I think when I got off the hill and the dead guy didn't follow me for a rez and I had time to actually look at him a little more closely is when I realized that it was a GM and not a dead player needing a rez.

Anyways I always refused to "take turns" at swoop (is the swoop area of UO like umm...kindergarten playground or something)?

[​IMG]

People would get really ticked off thinking they might actually have to S H A R E the loot off a swoop (Oh the horror of playing a mmorpg! With all those nasty OTHER players).

I put myself in the position of getting myself paged on I suppose by casting evs then not keeping my eyes open while they did what evs do, but I was NOT afk so no harm done in my opinion.

You put yourself in the position of getting yourself paged on by not answering other players when they ask if you are present, so you really can not complain if a GM comes to check on you.

If they harrass you afterward then THEY are breaking the rules so yes, page on them.

28. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I have seen obvious scripters get cold busted and then a couple days later they are back doing it again. That completely killed me and made me lose all hope for this game being rid of em one day.

I know they have to be discreet about how they punish people but seeing something like that makes me think that i can do it too until i get caught and then i'll take my punishment and learn my lesson. In the meantime, i would have gotten a huge advantage (financially and skillwise) over all the honest players.

29. rtlfc

I don't support any kind of cheating in UO, never have and never will. I've done everything the legit way and still get paged on probably as much as anyone else.

It's this simple, if you think someone is cheating in any way shape or form report them. However if they don't dissapear when you get your concluded request message accept the posibility that you may have been wrong.

30. Black Majick

Black Majick Certifiable

<blockquote><hr>

"Just leave the guy who works a 40 hour week, has a baby and GF, and who also goes to school alone while he trains his chivalry up."

Personally, I think you are jerking our chains here.

But let's say that you DO have all the real life stuff going on that you claim you do.

Why does that make you "special" in the world of UO?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing those RL things does not make me feel special in UO. I do go to school have GF and a baby, while also working a 40 hour work week minimum. I do not have all the time in the world to play UO. When I do play I dont like to sit and press a button over and over again to train a skill. I like to get on, enjoy some PvP action, fill some bods, burn some runics. Just escape from reality persay. UO is not supposed to have a work feel. Hitting that same button 2k times to get you to a decent skill level is work.

Ya. I really cannot say that what I am doing is 100% ethical. You would be suprised the number of peeps who have used scripts to gain there skills atleast one time. The number would astonish you I am sure. I have to say I am atleast smart enough to have a spot specifically set aside for training skills that I go too. I dont do wide open in luna.

<blockquote><hr>

I fail to see how being busy in real life entitles ANYONE in UO to break the agreement that THEY agreed to when they signed up to play the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

It does not. I did not say it did. I just said that I do.

<blockquote><hr>

You think I am happy that you are in the game cheating just because your account is 109 months old?

For all I know you "cheated" your way into that account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it is the account that me and my dad used to share. We got account for both of us. When I was able to pay for my own account I did. He played this account mostly til he quit about a year ago. I have since taken over the account. I still have my chars that I play, and I play his.

<blockquote><hr>

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to tell us that if WE don't ALLOW you to skill gain while afk in UO that you will lose your job, lost your gf, fail school and your baby will have no raisin"?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I am saying that I would not be playing EA servers. I would find another server to play on and EA would lose another 3 subs. There are plenty of servers out there that require alot less tiem to train my chars, understand that skill gaining is not what you play UO too do, and want you too have fun. They give there players regular events. They take feedback from players and actually apply alot of it to there servers. They make tehre game what the players want. EA should learn soemthing from them.

Now on an ending note. I play my game the way I want to play it. If you feel that you need to walk around paging on anyone casting a spell while standing in same spot. Feel free too. I honestly feel that you need to play the game though. The guy training his necro is in no way effecting your game play. Perhaps the person just wants to get and play a necro mage. Perhaps they like the end game rather than what goes on to get there.

31. Paris_Hilton

Paris_Hilton Guest

"I honestly feel that you need to play the game though."

Golly Gee.

I thought I was "playing" the game when I was on my newb killing those ettins and earth ellies in Despise to raise my skills.

Silly me.

32. Black Majick

Black Majick Certifiable

<blockquote><hr>

"I honestly feel that you need to play the game though."

Golly Gee.

I thought I was "playing" the game when I was on my newb killing those ettins and earth ellies in Despise to raise my skills.

Silly me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you were. Running around looking for scripters sounds to me like EA needs to start paying to police there game. Go kill some moer etteins. Enjoy playing the game doing what you do. Leave the guy alone next door that is working up his Magery so he can go kill some monsters. Perhaps working your char up from 50 and doing it w/o powergaming is your way of playing. My way of playing is doing things I enjoy when I can get on.

33. Guest

Guest Guest

Well see there are signs of certain scripts being used, repetitive robotic behaviour, moving in a stop-start fashion for example, always to the same spots. Doing things faster than a normal player, continuously. For hours.

Just a few examples.

I page when I'm certain, often I'll try talking to the player. I allow for the silent treatment, so if I get that from someone I'll sometimes just leave for a few hours and return. If they're still there, depending on what I've seen, I'll decide if I want to call it.

It also kinda stands out if a player does not respond to events around them as any attended player would. If a big bad monster comes round the corner and that player apparently offers himself up as the sacrifice of the week, I don't tend to think "bravery" so much as "bot" [​IMG]

I've also sometimes looked up certain sites to see if particular actions can be performed by scripts.

Bagballs are a great identifier of bots. I've balled over the Minoc mining bridge to check a few bots out, needless to say they stand like zombies behind the barricade [​IMG] It's a cruel (but amusing) game if you randomly lift then drop the balls to see the wee bots run and try to escape... Though one thief used to wait by the forge, steal the ingots and the bot kept making more because he hadn't reached his "bank ingot weight" [​IMG]

Static ones can be harder to figure out, but they're not impossible.

Wenchy

34. Guest

Guest Guest

Like wenchy i too have stood and watched and timed many bots and thankfully some ive paged on ive never seen again [​IMG]

the best are the felucca ones that once killed and using a necro you can still see them trying to do what they were doing stilll [​IMG]

35. The Great Witch Hunt of Ultima Online.

36. Guest

Guest Guest

*shrugs*

If you're not cheating, it doesn't hurt you, does it?

Wenchy

37. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

Well, I for one don't report anyone "skill building" and quite frankly, from my end, I can't tell if someone is using a script to cast spirit speak or if they have "Cast last spell" set in options -so I'm not quite sure how anyone else can make that determination.

Tattle-Telling for such minor (undeterminable) offenses is a bit ridiculous (humble opinion of course). I know someone who is constantly paged on for "scripting" in Luna - he answers no one when they - "are you there, answer me or I'll report you" - him to death. Why should he? Who is anyone in this game to mandate he validate his "presence" behind the keyboard? I've taken the same stand - ask away, I'll be happy to respond to the GM if/when one pops up, but keep in mind, wasting the GM's time with something so ridiculous ups your que time when you just did something royally stupid and need help ASAP!

38. Guest

Guest Guest

&lt;&lt;wasting the GM's time with something so ridiculous ups your que time when you just did something royally stupid and need help ASAP!&gt;&gt;

If cheaters weren`t doing something as royally stupid as unattended macero`ing or cheating off murder counts,us honest players wouldn`t have a reason to page.Therefore wouldn`t hafta waste a GM`s time. So blaming honesty on wasting time is rediculous.

Heres a thought,if you want to ignore players and not talk to peaple who may think someone is cheating...... go sumwhere you won`t encounter that.Oh I know,you`d look outa place all alone motionless for 14 hours in your house or something,LOL I forgot.

39. Black Majick

Black Majick Certifiable

<blockquote><hr>

Two more paged on today! God you cheaters make it waaaaay to easy.
    I mean out in the open,blatent unattended macro`ing.Even if its something stupid like item ID with it turned down,me thinks someone is working off counts or something.

No matter,they can explain it to the man when the red robe says...Goodmorning......hello? Sir are you there?........

All you defendants of the cheats think peaple are walking around looking for you,well some of your bretheron are so stupid to do it near gates or towns where anyone passing by can see them.Like last night when I went to bed.Here it is almost 14 hours later and guess what? Cheatin bastages are still there,unmoved in same spot.Hrmm maybe its just their autolog isn`t working.LOL
    I mean ROFL,gimme a break.

It gives me pleasure to page on such scum and I`ll do it everytime.Play the game the way it was meant to be played AND the way you agree`d to in the ToS. Or you can go to hel.....I mean Wow or whatever game ya wanna cheat at next. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must sleep better at nite dont you??? I mean tattling on someone for doing something that in no way effects your game play. Remind me if I ever see you in game to give you a pat on the back. Maybe a mil check or something. You have spent your time getting someone in trouble who did absolutely nothing too you. Your a big person now. Only thing that will make this better is that the person is doing school work or something at there desk watching the screen and just didnt feel like talking too you. They could have also logged out shortly after you and logged back in before you. You said you came back 14 hours later and they were still there. There is alot of time there for them to log, sleep, and get back on!!!!

Also. Are they actually macroing something. Says they are just standing there. I have left my char standing in one spot for 3 days straight. Was not able to get onto the computer to play, but had time between RL stuff to log char in if he had logged. In luna though, auto log does not work there most of the time as there are too many peeps running around. You do not have to be doing anything other than standing there. Your char "WILL NOT LOG". I do thank you though for being UO's Tattle Tale. Thank you for taking up the GM's time for dealing with someone who is more than likely there, when they could have been actually catching the AFK miners recalling everywhere.

40. Black Majick

Black Majick Certifiable

<blockquote><hr>

Heres a thought,if you want to ignore players and not talk to peaple who may think someone is cheating...... go sumwhere you won`t encounter that.Oh I know,you`d look outa place all alone motionless for 14 hours in your house or something,LOL I forgot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if your in your house you get 100% hide chance all the time. So just set a macro to hide you every 5-6 mins. Can run that for 3-4 hours min with just UOA. Set to use skill. set a delay til next time you use. So actually you would never see someone in there house. They make no noise, just stand there.

41. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

<blockquote><hr>

&lt;&lt;wasting the GM's time with something so ridiculous ups your que time when you just did something royally stupid and need help ASAP!&gt;&gt;

If cheaters weren`t doing something as royally stupid as unattended macero`ing or cheating off murder counts,us honest players wouldn`t have a reason to page.Therefore wouldn`t hafta waste a GM`s time. So blaming honesty on wasting time is rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

May God have mercy on your soul.

42. <blockquote><hr>

Well see there are signs of certain scripts being used, repetitive robotic behaviour, moving in a stop-start fashion for example, always to the same spots. Doing things faster than a normal player, continuously. For hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like someone with a bad conn who can only play a miner for example?
    Doing what faster than a normal player? Really need to know specifically because if you try and do two (even simple) things at once such as opening two chests in quick succession you get a message saying 'You must wait to perform another action.' For hours, maybe they just like mining. When I used to mine it used to take a hours to get a decent amount of anything.

<blockquote><hr>

It also kinda stands out if a player does not respond to events around them as any attended player would.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is something totally relative to the individual, some players are aware enough of their characters setup vs whatever is going to attack them that can decide wether or not they need to run. For example I don't run when someone starts luring changelings around at swoops because I know I've set my character up to not die to low level spawn.

<blockquote><hr>

If a big bad monster comes round the corner and that player apparently offers himself up as the sacrifice of the week, I don't tend to think "bravery" so much as "bot"

[/ QUOTE ]
    Or if something gets lured around the corner. I think theres a lot of people starting their arguments with 'When I see a bot' 'When I see a scripter' etc etc, sounds like you've decided their guilty already.

<blockquote><hr>

I've also sometimes looked up certain sites to see if particular actions can be performed by scripts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    In addition to monsters 'coming' round the corner you also visit script sites, hm ok, starting to get an idea of you now... no of course not! I'm just kidding, but you see how a lot of the time people will judge based on suspicion rather than fact.

<blockquote><hr>

Bagballs are a great identifier of bots. I've balled over the Minoc mining bridge to check a few bots out, needless to say they stand like zombies behind the barricade It's a cruel (but amusing) game if you randomly lift then drop the balls to see the wee bots run and try to escape... Though one thief used to wait by the forge, steal the ingots and the bot kept making more because he hadn't reached his "bank ingot weight"

[/ QUOTE ]
    Isn't it an offense to deliberately block paths in UO with items? [​IMG]
    You should have paged on them.

<blockquote><hr>

Static ones can be harder to figure out, but they're not impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Some skills can be used without giving out any indication that it's being used. Anatomy and Eval for example can be macro'd to cap standing at brit bank. They can also be done while hidden without revealing the player. Only a GM can see wether someone is working those skills which is handy as only a GM can suspend/ban for unattended macroing.

43. <blockquote><hr>

If you're not cheating, it doesn't hurt you, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you bag balled the bridge to stop a rail script miner, did you ever think what if a non script miner needs to get past? I bet if one had they wouldn't have thought ah it's ok hes wasting my time for a good cause.

Most people I've seen don't leave it at paging a GM when they see no action taken, wonder why, oh yeah because it'd mean they were wrong. It's amazing how quickly honorable caring about the community citizens will turn in to real jackass' when they don't get someone removed from the game.

44. <blockquote><hr>

Well, I for one don't report anyone "skill building" and quite frankly, from my end, I can't tell if someone is using a script to cast spirit speak or if they have "Cast last spell" set in options -so I'm not quite sure how anyone else can make that determination.

Tattle-Telling for such minor (undeterminable) offenses is a bit ridiculous (humble opinion of course). I know someone who is constantly paged on for "scripting" in Luna - he answers no one when they - "are you there, answer me or I'll report you" - him to death. Why should he? Who is anyone in this game to mandate he validate his "presence" behind the keyboard? I've taken the same stand - ask away, I'll be happy to respond to the GM if/when one pops up, but keep in mind, wasting the GM's time with something so ridiculous ups your que time when you just did something royally stupid and need help ASAP!

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT!

45. <blockquote><hr>

Here it is almost 14 hours later and guess what? Cheatin bastages are still there,unmoved in same spot.Hrmm maybe its just their autolog isn`t working.LOL
    I mean ROFL,gimme a break.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Um, sorry to burst your bubble but auto log doesn't work if something moves on that screen. If people leave their characters logged in at busy areas like luna gate or brit bank or yew fel gate then the screen will have been refreshed.

You people that don't know how the game works make it too easy.

46. lord dog, get over yourself.
    here you are saying 'waaa waa don't people have anything better to do than page on people' but then in the same post you say 'oh boy oh boy I love to page on the people that page on me!' Can we all say: Hypocracy!

Whether you like it or not, THERE ARE SCRIPTERS.
    Just because people mistake you for one every now and then doesn't mean they don't find 'real scripters' other times.

And, believe me, there are ways to tell someone is scripting for sure. When you can steal someones axe, and tell them you did, but still watch them walk their path to a tree before the script discovers the axe is "depleted" and returns home, thats a sign. When you can box them in and watch them keep trying to run in various directions for HOURS (rather than moving the obstacle) , you know thats a script. When you can page one someone, and eventually watch them disappearand not come back, you know thats a script. When you can kill someone, and watch them continue (trying to) doing what they were doing but as a ghost, you know thats a script.

Or are you goign to tell me "well, maybe the guy just wanted to run in place for three hours after being boxed in" - lol.

Just because you have had bad experiences with people harrassing you, doesn;t mean there are no unattended scripters otu there.

47. <blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    "If cheaters" Another guy assuming everyones cheating without any knowledge. Tried and sentenced! "But what did I do?" - "Nothing, doesn't matter some dumbass decided you were zomg haxxoring".

"cheating off murder counts" How in the sickness of your mind do you cheat off having to be logged in for 40 hours pet count?

"us honest players" Theres a big diference between honest player and someone who doesn't understand how half the game works.

"Therefore wouldn`t hafta waste a GM`s time. So blaming honesty on wasting time is rediculous." People could start applying that to other parts of life, If they didn't horde all that money in the bank we wouldn't have to rob them.

"Oh I know,you`d look outa place all alone motionless for 14 hours in your house or something,LOL I forgot."
    Look out of place to who? The doors set on no dumbasses.

48. <blockquote><hr>

here you are saying 'waaa waa don't people have anything better to do than page on people'

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't, I said people SHOULD page on people and SHOULD leave it at that rather than pretend that when they start griefing them it's in any way justified. Reading comprehnsion 4tw?

<blockquote><hr>

Whether you like it or not, THERE ARE SCRIPTERS.
    Just because people mistake you for one every now and then doesn't mean they don't find 'real scripters' other times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there are, I didn't say there wasn't. What I said is that people need to page GM's and accept their action because when they don't their no better than the scripters.

<blockquote><hr>

And, believe me, there are ways to tell someone is scripting for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah it's called page a GM and see if their removed, not harass the [censored] out of someone.

<blockquote><hr>

Or are you goign to tell me "well, maybe the guy just wanted to run in place for three hours after being boxed in" - lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, I'm going to tell you to re-read the thread as you don't seem to understand whats being said.

<blockquote><hr>

Just because you have had bad experiences with people harrassing you, doesn;t mean there are no unattended scripters otu there.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Turn that around - Just because there are scripters out there doesn't give anyone an excuse to harass me.

49. Guest

Guest Guest

Ye gads, post dissection...

It would have saved you time if you'd understood that I don't take any individual signs as absolute proof of anything. I leave any that I'm not certain of. That's quite a few players. I do not go around going "bam there's a script" because I'm not dumb enough to jump to conclusions without considering the honest players.

If you've been harassed, that does not mean everyone who reports cheats does the same. I leave it to the GM. Unfortunately, there are scripts with GM alarms, so some slip through the net. I wish GMs could turn up in the form of a normal player sometimes rather than in robes.

<blockquote><hr>

When you bag balled the bridge to stop a rail script miner, did you ever think what if a non script miner needs to get past? I bet if one had they wouldn't have thought ah it's ok hes wasting my time for a good cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the rules about blocking thanks. No innocent players were meddled with. The balls (empty) go down for a second to see if the player is there. I try speaking to them at this point. Give them a few secs then lift the ball and see what happens. Chances are they'll run off on their rail again. You get the same reaction with any bots who use pathfinding to get to a spot.

Wenchy

50. <blockquote><hr>

It would have saved you time if you'd understood that I don't take any individual signs as absolute proof of anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't understood from your other posts. Fear not! I have plenty of time. [​IMG]