1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice

Seriously considering changing a miner to an elf.

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Ezekiel Zane, Mar 13, 2008.

  1. Ezekiel Zane

    Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Messages:
    4,556
    Likes Received:
    113
    I'm thinking of at least trying it out on one of my miners. It seems like the extra 20% chance at colored ore should outweigh the additional strike that humans get.

    Anyone have both elf and human miners for comparison?
     
  2. Storm

    Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2004
    Messages:
    7,469
    Likes Received:
    361
    Im wondering about this my self and have seen no posts on this I have thought of moving mining over to my elf archer just to test it and see
    does the percent apply to just the iron spots giving them a colored chance or does it add to the percent for all coloreds to be bumped I have no clue how this works would be a good thing to figure out then sticky it
     
  3. Ezekiel Zane

    Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Messages:
    4,556
    Likes Received:
    113
    If I understood a recent dev post an ore vein or a tree have a finite amount of resource and each strike gives you a 40% chance at colored ore or wood and a 60% chance for normal. This is on each swing of the axe, pick or shovel.

    An elf gets a 60% chance at colored ore or wood and 40% chance that the strike or axe swing will be normal colored.

    At the miserably low rate with which I'm finding verite and valorite veins, I'm thinking the increased 20% chance at producing colored ore per strike may be worth the switch to an elf miner.
     
  4. Ezekiel Zane

    Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Messages:
    4,556
    Likes Received:
    113
    Oops. Somehow I posted this in the smith's forum but I meant to put it in the miner's forum.
     
  5. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,461
    Likes Received:
    583
    Want me to move it? (I moderate both, after all)
     
  6. jelake

    jelake Guest

    Either the RNG is broken or the colored/non-colored ratios are not as they are advertised, for mining at least. I have a human and I usually get 60-75% colored per spawn. Many times I have swung for colored ore 6 or more times in a row without getting a non-colored ore pile. I haven't tried an elf miner, though, so I don't know if it would be better than that or not. Perhaps other human miners can corroborate this.
     
  7. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,461
    Likes Received:
    583
    Yeah; I've heard this 40% number bandied about, but NEVER seen it in practice.

    While ore types have changed, I kept some notes - including dumping my least productive runes well before then.

    In my experience, every spot has a DIFFERENT colored ore percentage, that is intrinsic to that resource square. No matter the ore color, the tend to produce almost the same amount of ore each time, if allowed to fully refresh (+/- 2 large). And, the percentage of iron to colored ore holds true, for that spot, even if it goes to iron, and you have to use a prospector tool to get Dull copper from it. If it tends to give 50% colored, you'll get a bell curve based on 50% color from charting mining trips there - regardless of what color you get. Some places give 80-90% colored consistantly, like the TRAMMEL spot I went to that gave 30 swings of ore, 27 of which were colored (and counting doubles as one swing). And that is TYPICAL results for that spot, over the last 4 years.

    There is no way in H-E-Double-toothpicks that a 40% chance that a human supposedly has, is going to go THAT far off the chart, repeatedly. BTW, for the statistically impaired, that's less than a 0.0000000004% chance of occurring, if the 40% chance value was valid in any way. And that is the chance of it occuring once. I don't want to have to dig up my old textbooks and try to figure out the chance of it happening TWICE in a row.
     
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    why not head on over to test shard,

    make a human miner (gm mining, gm tinker for tools) and go out and hit mountains near new haven 1000 times.

    then 20 minutes later after the mountain repawns

    make a elf miner (same skills) and go out and hit the same mountains 1000 times.
     
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    No need, my miner is an elf and the boost is a myth. I spent 2 hours mining in Ilshendar last night (I was hoping for paragon elementals), during that time I was noting the colored/vs plain iron ratios. I used a prospectors and garg pick on every spot I mined to get at least to shadow ore (again for ellies). I maybe broke even three times, most spots I was gettin 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 iron/colored. Hardly seems like I was getting a better shot at the colored to me.


    Rey~
     
  10. jelake

    jelake Guest

    Just ran a small test with my human miner.

    5 spawns, same spot.

    Colored - Iron Swings

    12-1
    13-6
    14-4
    14-4
    30-8 Whoa! Not sure why it had so much this last time.

    I also believe some spots yield higher ratios than others. Some on my runebook will maybe give half while others like the one above give insane amounts of colored; even for a human.
     
  11. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,461
    Likes Received:
    583
    I'm beginning to suspect the following:

    1. The 40% number, if it was ever valid for anything, was the chance to make a NEVER-MINED area colored, when the colored ores were introduced. It doesn't apply anymore, unless by some miracle that you find a place never mined (most likely in Ilshenar). There's a slight chance it might mean the amount of Dull copper one gets from elevating an iron spot, but I've seen some ore veins that make this doubtful.

    2. The resource squares have a randomly-set, but permanent percentage chance for the iron to colored ratio, that stays the same no matter what the ore changes to (though if it changes to iron, you have to use a prospector's tool to get the colored ore).

    3. The elven 20% is probably applied like the Elder/legendary smith's color bonus - in the formula, resulting in a much lower number.

    Examples:
    Elder smiths get 20% more colored bods - Because half the BODs are always iron weapons, this is 20% increase of color BOD only in the ARMOR half of the equation. Weapons: 100% iron, Armor: 70% colored, 30% iron. This is a 20% increase for the armor BODs, but only a 10% increase to the TOTAL number of colored BODs (with weapons included, goes from 75% iron/25% colored to 65%/35%).
    Legendary smiths: As elder, but the 40% increase (armor BODs are 90% colored) translates to 55% iron/45% colored for all total BODs.

    If this holds true for mining, then it's probable the 20% (or 1/5, written as a fraction) increase for elves is something like one of these two scenarios:

    Increase similar to BODs:
    Human: A specific ore vein gives 35% colored ore.
    Elf: the same vein gives 35% +35%/5 = 35%+7% = 42% colored ore.

    Or a dig number factor, like the chop increase for elven lumberjacks:
    Human: will average 15 digs at a specific spot
    Elf: will get 18 digs on average at the same spot (15+15/5)
     
  12. Ezekiel Zane

    Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Messages:
    4,556
    Likes Received:
    113
    Hey thanks for moving it. I was gonna repost but I figured enough smith's were miners anyway.

    Interesting topic huh? Hehe.

    I'm gonna take one poster's advice and do some testing on TC.

    I'll get back with how it goes.
     
  13. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,461
    Likes Received:
    583
    I believe the last number was the result of the site hitting its respawn time WHILE you were mining it. It happens on rare occasions. So, you effectively got two trips' worth in one stop.
     
  14. Well I am not sure that you get better ore.I changed to a elf to obtain more gems.Not really sure it matters much tho