1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Discussion] Shard Name & Date

Discussion in 'UO Rares Collector' started by Smoot, Feb 9, 2014.

?

How do you feel about shard name and real life date on items

1. I dont like it

69.6%
  2. I prefer it

8.7%
  3. I couldnt care less one way or the other

21.7%
  1. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Part of why i love UO is because it takes me to another time and place. As a rare collector, i like my collectables to fit into the theme and decor of my house or my character (for wearables)

Having the shard and the real life date listed in a title ruins what otherwise might be a really cool item for me.
    My characters have no idea about these strange holidays, other shards, or foreign numbers.

Just wondering everyone elses opinion on Real Life date and shard being added to items.

Flutter and Alexander of ATL. like this.
  2. Orich

Orich Seasoned Veteran

It depends for me.

If you've been collecting rares for a long time, you may know the inherent date of an item. For newer or returning collectors, it might help knowing how old it is for nostalgic reasons or simply a perceived value in age.

Phoenix Suits and Singing Balls, for me, remind me of the year I graduated highschool. A constant reminder just how special this game truly is, and how important the items are within it :)

azmodanb and JohnnyPow like this.
  3. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Can't say I'm a big fan of it myself either mate.

4. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I don't collect anything that has a shard name, date and I'm slowly phasing out all RL holidays as well as EM/Staff names from my collection.

Flutter likes this.
  5. Kolka

Kolka Babbling Loonie
    Professional Campaign Patron

I am OK with it on limited items like EM holiday gifts, but would prefer that other items had more realistic names. This goes for the trend for recent items to have a two paragraph title as well - things like "Smoot's extra large, slightly wrinkled, long-lost, lime-green, frilly leisure suit that he wore once to prom in 1968 and had such a bad time that he put it in the back of his closet and forgot about it until the fire forced him to move temporarily to his third cousins house in Boise". I would much prefer something with a title of "Orc Axe" or some such.

6. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

How did you know what i wore to the prom ! :eyes:

Kolka, Flutter and Assia Penryn like this.
  7. 4gregu

4gregu Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I also agree that I like it on em holiday gift items, besides that I'd really prefer they didn't put the shard names on items.

8. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I wish instead of the RL year they would put the UO year. That would be AWESOME. Mesanna PLEASE?

Smoot likes this.
  9. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I lost and my wife lost some things that can be replaced... but not the originals we collected. My original singing ball for example... i gave to her and was lost due to account management changes.. when both our houses fell on baja. ..

10. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Id be happy with the uo year for items for stuff that absolutely must have a date for some reason. at least it would fit in the game.

11. Faeryl

Faeryl Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I dont like having the shard/date on items... There are a few that I like the name of and would likely collect, but having the date just ruins them for me.