1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Shard Population

Discussion in 'UHall' started by BeardsMagoo, Apr 5, 2015.

1. BeardsMagoo

BeardsMagoo Visitor

Anyone have any idea which shards are the most populated? I'm thinking about resubbing, but I don't know which shard I want to play on. I'm looking for PVE, mostly.

Christina Kardos likes this.
  2. Lord Taliesin

Lord Taliesin Seasoned Veteran

Atlantic is by far far far (far) the busiest shard. Great Lakes is pretty active, not sure if there are any other US shards similar to Great Lakes. All the rest are quiet. Napa is the best shard because I say so. :scholar:We're mellow but there's usually folks around and if you ask in general chat you can find folks to hunt with or pvp. If you happen to go Napa I'd be happy to make some gear for you. How long have you been gone?

Philly and Kirthag like this.
  3. BeardsMagoo

BeardsMagoo Visitor

I've played off and on (mostly off) for about 14 years. My account is only about four years in age in terms of being active, so I've been away for a while.

Philly and Christina Kardos like this.
  4. Lord Taliesin

Lord Taliesin Seasoned Veteran

If you've been gone since before Stygian Abyss (2009ish?) there's quite a bit to get caught up on. What kind of template are you looking at playing?

5. BeardsMagoo

BeardsMagoo Visitor

I have Stygian Abyss activated, but it's not an xpack I really fully explored all that much. I haven't really decided what template I want to play. When I stopped playing, I was playing a thief on Siege Perilous.

Philly likes this.
  6. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I'd recommend Great Lakes. Not the most populated US shard but the 2nd, at least.

7. grimiz

grimiz Seasoned Veteran

Just play on Atlantic. Anything else will seem like a ghost town. There's no point in arguing about it - everyone knows it's true whether they let themselves admit it or not.

8. BeardsMagoo

BeardsMagoo Visitor

What guilds can you recommend?

Philly and Christina Kardos like this.
  9. Christina Kardos

UWF

Welcome back! Once you have set up your account try all the servers and decide which shard you like. If you are looking for lots of traffic then yes Atl is your best choice... but other servers are quite cool too with lovely communities and very helpful chaps!

Server?

Philly likes this.
  10. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The higher the population the more crowded the PvE spots will be. You may want to reconsider. You may also want to check your ping before you pick.

Philly likes this.
  11. petemage

petemage Seasoned Veteran

Total myth. Crowded spots are a thing from the past. Of course not for the people defining "crowded" as in "there is another player at MY spot and he has to leave because i want to farm it NOW and ALONE"

Like the usual Miasma trolls, or the guys hating you for shooting a fireball at THEIR artic ogre lord :D

Recommending Atlantic as well of course :)

Philly likes this.
  12. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Depends on how much interaction you crave in the game.

Atlantic or Catskills is my suggestion.

Philly and Zuckuss like this.
  13. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

What do you hunt that nobody is around, skeletons. Any good PvE spot will have more people at it on the higher populations shards than lower populations shards.

14. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

I guess Atlantic would be ok if you don't mind living in an inn and not having a house lol

Philly and OREOGL like this.
  15. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

There are house spots avail.. Even max storage if you dont mind looking around a bit.

If you wanna place an 18x18 secluded hit up any other shard.

When i moved to ATL over a year ago i had three 18x18 in a couple months.. In the same area. Since sold them when i found better spots.
    And hunting is not crowded.. But Im one that likes seeing other players in a mmorpg

Philly likes this.
  16. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

If you come to the Atlantic shard, we will have a spot for you in the Dread Pirates [DRED]. We typically have a fair amount of people online in our TeamSpeak chatroom each night and we have players of all levels of experience. Plenty of folks who do both PVE & PVP, others who just do decorating and role playing. We can help with suit building, any template advice and getting you set up with a house. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd like any additional information.

Hope your decision goes well. :)

Philly and Keith of Sonoma like this.
  17. Ox_AO

Ox_AO Adventurer

Fixed.

18. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I always think I want to play on Atlantic til I hear this. I'd rather just play on the 2nd or 3rd most populated shard. Its still enough when you're part of a large guild and/or alliance.

19. Keith of Sonoma

Keith of Sonoma Certifiable

Good for you Merlin for offering to help! I don't always agree with your posts, LOL, But I think that was an awesome gesture.

Philly likes this.
  20. Gem

Gem Lore Keeper
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Come to GL...busier than many shards but you can still place an 18x18 quite easily :)

Lord Frodo and Philly like this.
  21. Philly

Philly Journeyman
    The Valorian Knights

Is there a problem? Is UO going Bankrupt? Do shards need merged to save the game? If so I haven't heard anything about it. I enjoy my Grandfathered account and visit 6 shards regularly. =]

22. Val'lyn De'ana

Val'lyn De'ana Seasoned Veteran

Stay where you are, the populations of the shards fluctuation all the time. Now, if you'd like my 2 cents, I'd tell you to start a character up on Siege Perilous and join the fun. I am a recent returnee to UO and have been loving this shard.

Yes it is a lower population, but an awesome group of players.

I've been back for a little while now, and only yesterday got chased by any reds while out working up some PVE skills.

-Val'lyn

Troop_Gil likes this.
  23. Troop_Gil

Troop_Gil Journeyman

May as well start back on Siege then.

24. grimiz

grimiz Seasoned Veteran

Hah. You never will hear anything about it until the decision to shut down has been finalized. That's just how most businesses operate - the majority of employees in a private company don't know anything about the financial health.

I do believe uo brings in more money than we think. Otherwise they wouldn't be hiring even part time.

Philly likes this.
  25. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If you have been playing UO longer then 3 months and cant figure out how to easily get a large tower or 18x18 in Tram or Fel on Atlantic you are the problem my friend. Not the shard

Merlin and Philly like this.
  26. Val'lyn De'ana

I found a nice spot (11x14) on Moonglow (Fel) a few weeks back. Granted, Siege is my permanent shard, but from a newbies perspective, there are plenty of housing spots left, even on Atlantic.

-Val'lyn

Philly likes this.
  27. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

It's way too much of a nut house there for me even if someone gave me a castle lol

28. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

I second Goldberg's comment. Maybe you can't find the perfect 18x18 or Tower within the first hour of playing, but if you get in with an active guild and start to build up fellowship with other players, you will have no problem finding something through word of mouth.

As noted in my offer to the original poster about guild membership, if you come join DRED and get into our TeamSpeak chat, there would be plenty of people glad to help you find a location for a decent house on Atlantic.

29. Val'lyn De'ana

HEY!!! You need to spend more time recruiting for Siege...not Atlantic :)

-Val'lyn

Merlin likes this.