1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Shield Special Moves and Other Randomness

Discussion in 'UHall' started by WarderDragon, Jul 9, 2010.

1. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

I had this idea earlier and thought I would throw it out there.

What if Shields had special moves or bonus abilities associated with them? As it stands most effective warriors use Bushido (meaning eschewing the most common defensive ornamentation in the ancient world) leaving Shields under the domain of Mystics and Sorcerers.

But what if a Warrior with Parrying could evoke a series of special moves associated with his or her skill? Shield Slam; the ability to damage your opponent and knock him back a tile or two (would be useful in Feluccian Sieges). Or perhaps Phalanx? If several warriors evoke this ability then all party members receive a significant DCI Buff.

How about a grapple ability for Wrestlers? Allowing one character to grapple an opponent (which would make them immobile as well) allowing a second person to pummel the character you immobilized.

This would all encourage folks to work together (which is what we want in an MMO) but not going to far as to make them ineffective for going solo like we did for Spellweaving (something we don't want).

Thoughts?

2. Zyon Rockler

Zyon Rockler Guest

I think they should add alot of different moves. I can't see why anyone would reject to actually being able to do something besides for what we have been doing for the last 10 years.

Wrestling should have maybe 5 or 6 moves. Maybe a wrestler could kick or flip an opponent. Maybe they could add some cool sounds too. More things connected to parties with the number being the factor of affectiveness.

That's an awesome idea.

3. WarderDragon

Agreed.

I think encouraging people to work together (without forcing them to do so) would go a long way towards improving interaction and community in what should be an MMORPG.

Could you imagine a wall of soldiers bearing heater shields and javelins guarding the mouth of a faction base?

I'm going to end up going on a side-tangent here; but I've always thought it would be interesting to see them implement schools of Wrestling. (And other fighting styles for that matter.) So imagine there were three schools; Boxing (Britannic), Pankration (Magincian or Lunite), and Kung Fu or Jujitsu (Tokuno). Once you have grandmastered wrestling you can do a quest to specialize and earn a series of special moves. Boxing would be more concerned with damaging strikes and crushing blows. Pankration would be defensive; focused on grapples, stuns, and taking punishment. Jujitsu or Kung Fu would be more evasive and agile; involving quick blows and disarm techniques.

This could extend to other fighting styles (i.e. Swordsmanship or Archery); each having a book of special moves. An archer trained by the Rangers of Spiritwood might be capable of a more rapid shot while one trained in Tokuno might be a proficient horseback archer with a built in moving shot.

4. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Before everyone chugged shields were a good option. Even longer back GM parry and a Heater shield made my PvP dexxers godly.

Times have changed and unless you can do something about Bushido+Parry and 50 EP my 15/15 shields will stay as relic of days gone by.

5. yars

yars Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

sheilds with special moves? right on capt america, im for it.
    i myself dont understand why when samurai empires came out they didnt create a monk class.
    bare handed brawling at its best, NM wrestling

6. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Ya had thoughts along those lines like two weapons. Sword in one hand and mace in the other and having both skills and a hotkey on what weapon is used. Being in a mixed creature spawn and slayer in each hand to deal with the mixed mob.

The firehorn for the bard is used and has a random breakage. Have an addition of weapons or current weapons with a 3rd special. Everytime a special is used chance of it breaking. Or the old weapons having charges that can be recharged but still chance to break if activated and used. With imbuing not like an uber couldn't be replaced and maybe breath some life into the old arties gathering dust if not unraveled already.

7. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

the wrestler should be able to pull out a chair and clomp them.

the wrestler should be able to tag team combo someone making the 2nd hit a doozer (by his partner).

the wrestler should be able to spead some fake blood on themselves and slap their chest a few times.

8. Fink

Fink Guest

:grouphug: I like this one.

Maybe take off a small percentage of the damage received by an individual and disperse it among your party?

9. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie

Most useable shield special move for me is... shield mount (sleigh) on snow surfaces :mf_prop:

10. WarderDragon

I remember having a discussion regarding how dual wielding might be implemented in Ultima Online.

The suggestion was that the damage (and swing speed) would be averaged out between the two weapons and you'd be limited to the primary special move on each. (So a warrior wielding a Longsword in one hand and a Bokuto in the other would be left with Armor Ignore and Feint.) It would give you a little more control over the special moves for each given situation.

The major hurdle would be implementing new art and animations to properly depict such a combination of weapons.

11. Saunders

Saunders Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

There was a lot of excitement over the prospect of dual weilding weapons in SE. It turned out to be effectively two handed weapons.

12. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Very crappy two-handed weapons at that (except the daisho)

Back to the Original post:
    This'd be great!

Perhaps they could put reactive paralyze on a non-awful shield too. :)

13. WarderDragon

I felt the same way about the Dual Axes. Perfect for a Barbarian RPC.

Then I discovered the axes (and all the nice new art) is 'Gargoyle Only.' I'm still disappointed because alot of that art would fit a character I have perfectly.

14. Not to derail the thread but speaking of shields,why can we not imbue shields with elemental resists. We can add them to weapons but not shields. I would love to make a "stalwart shield" with +15 to each resist. Would give us non-samurai a bonus for playing an old style fighter.

15. Jhym

Jhym Guest

I'd like them to redo the special moves setup and make people have to gather/buy the moves. Then add four to six for each type of weapon and shield, and let us pick which two specials WE want to use.

But not just scrolls or recipes, I'd rather it be something you have to actively do in order to receive it -- for instance, in order to gain the special for crushing blow you have to be a certain level macer, gather some items and kill some things for a trainer, and then you get use of the special for some period of time. The requirements for each special may increase the more weapons you want to add them to.

So, you might start with two specials for use on a broadsword class of weapons. Easy, takes you 10 minutes to do and lasts a month.

You add specials for bokuto. Ok, takes you about 20 minutes a little harder, still lasts a month.

You add specials to halbards. Ok, takes you 30 minutes, somewhat harder, and lasts 3 weeks.

You decide to add kite shield specials. Ok, takes you 40 minutes, pretty hard to finish, and lasts 2 weeks.

The timing would last for each special type -- so they don't reduce all specials but only on the ones you go overboard on (the idea being you can only hold so much junk in your head at once.)

This way there is a continue effort to keep your specials "in tune", plus you can change out things if you want to when your timer is up.

:popcorn:

16. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Yeah I can't wait until Zergs get their wrestlers up front so they can put people into Rear Naked Chokes while their mages blast from the back ranks. Friendly Fire would HAVE to be incorporated.

17. WarderDragon

I don't see why friendly fire was ever removed. So I have no objections.

I agree. But I don't think resists are enough to encourage folks to take an alternative path to Bushido.

18. Hmm maybe add a "hit spell" on shields that is not seen on weapons. Such as Reflect (read hit) Curse. Reflect-Weaken;Reflect-Clumsy;Reflect-Feeblemind;Reflect-Stun;Reflect-Rend(A type of blood oath).

Also your idea for the phalanx....seeing 10-20 shield warriors lined up and defending a base would be awsome!

19. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

No idea what you're talking about; they don't fit at all, see?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Eh, with those numbers the server would probably crash.
    10 shield fighters + 5-10 archer/mages defending.
    Need at least 20-30 attackers.
    40-50 people in a small area fighting? Yea, it'd crash.

Not to mention immobile human walls don't work in UO, a handful of archers would pick them off one by one very quickly.

Ok, I'm done crushing dreams with realism for now. :)

21. Not if they got a major dci buff for being grouped in a "phalanx". Anyway this is a sandbox game! If i create lightning from roots then I can ask for a phalanx type bonus to non-samurai!!! :p

22. Zyon Rockler

Zyon Rockler Guest

So, in this idea you would basically get, maybe 2 icons similar to the weapons like a heater shield might have different abilities than a kite shield.

Parry as a skill would have a linking icon that would have maybe like x1 up to x10 in party intensities?

Then others could be earned through different types of schools. I guess this is kinda like what i'm picturing.

23. WarderDragon

You proved my point.

When I visit the Abyss, I drag Gargish items over my paper doll just to see what I've been restricted from using.

I can imagine where such a wall might be effective. Faction Bases. Plug an area. Have a phalanx of armsmen lined up in a row. DCI Buff. Shield Slam Special Move. Cross heal. Archers and mages to the rear.

The attackers would actually have to strategize (i.e. focus fire on one member of the phalanx for an immidiate kill; punch through the gap) to burst through. Or they could target the party leader (commander); killing him effectively sending the group into disarray and breaking the DCI Buff.

It is another example where if mechanics encouraged group play; perhaps people would team up more. As it stands you can play this game and be successful without ever having to speak to another player.