1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ship Hunting

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Tina Small, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I know this is old hat for a lot of you guys. However, I just had my first taste of "hunting" ships. I'm hooked! I never realized the type and quantity of resources those merchant ships have on them. One of these days I'll try pirate ships and imagine that will be a fascinating experience as well. And then it will be on to orc ships and trying to get one of my own.

Truly crazy stuff.

2. Adol

Adol Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Merchant ships have way, way more resources aboard for looting, have the white cloth dye tubs, and many of them don't have cannon and can be looted as soon as you get aboard, and the npcs will ignore you. You'll find, if you dont mind karma loss from killing the odd blue who doesn't like grapeshot, it's a complete no-brainer compared to the Orcs/Pirate ships... they have mostly rubbish (treasure chests full of vegetables?!) except for the odd Heavy Cannon (very rare compared to the white dye tub) in their hold. However the only way to get your own Orc ship is to capture the pirate leaders aboard, so they do have that above merchant ships. Also the Pirate leader is a complete wuss, so if you've a low level pet you want to train up, bring them along and let them nibble on him whilst you slowly get him down to <8% health for the capture!

3. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

A few weeks ago i did a pirating event. And we hunted only merchant ships. The idea was to show people how easy it can be to do them and how good the reward is from looting the ships. Soo much resources you can get with only 9-10 shots and no damage to your own ship if you do it right. :)

Preparing a ship takes a bit of time to make the cannon stuff but its totaly worth it. :)

4. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

I know this will come off as a stupid question, how do you find the merchant ships? I have done a lot of pirate ships but have never seen a merchant ship.

5. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Go to the dock just south of Zento and sail south from there. You will probably bump into a merchant vessel in the area there.
    If your pirate is red the area around Valor and Amoeba islands sometimes has them as does the general area between the fishmarket, Occlo and the North end of Fire Island.
    But it is far easier to find them in Tokuno.

6. DreadLord Lestat

Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

Thank you, I haven't tried Tokuno fishing yet so I am looking forward to it. :)

7. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

For Trammel/Fel searching, typically I find them when I'm not looking for them, in the area SW of the Floating Emporium (fishmarket), between Ocllo/Haven and fire island, extending down to the waters north of Serpent's Isle. On some occasions they will wander over as far west as the waters around Amoeba Island, but by the time you get there you are more likely to run into pirates. The seas between Jhelom and Valor/Amoeba are typically chock full of pirates.

8. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Just curious, but how bad a hit is it to a character's karma if you attack merchants instead of pirates?

9. DreadLord Lestat

The karma loss is fairly high, same as killing blue healers and such. As long as you don't kill the merchants once you have disabled their ship, you can board and loot the ship without killing them. Use heavy shot instead of grape shot and less of a chance of killing them while disabling the ship.

10. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

Thank you!

I may decide to leave the merchants alone. lol

11. DreadLord Lestat

They have some of the better loot. As long as you use the heavy cannon balls, you shouldn't kill any of the merchants. You can then board and loot the ship with no issues or karma loss.

#11 DreadLord Lestat, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  12. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

So basically, if I don't use grapeshot (or my dragon) all I'll need is my heavy cannons?

13. DreadLord Lestat

The merchants won't attack you so you won't need your dragon or grapeshot. You just need to disable the ship so you can board it. :)

old gypsy likes this.
  14. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

bah! With this pansy talk! Ye be raiding and pirating ships and ye are worried about yer karma? Be ye PIRATES or JELLYFISH!

A spineless lot you are!

:mad:

lol

#14 NuSair, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  15. DreadLord Lestat

The other are more fun but not as much in loot. I hit the merchants to break even but then again a true pirate will attack and and all ships! ARR! :devil:

NuSair likes this.
  16. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

If she sails on the seas, the loot be mine!!!!

17. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

LOL... my "good girl" is actually still thinking about it. In the meantime, she's apprehending pirates.

pirate.jpg

18. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

She's a pretty good pirate ;)

[​IMG]

old gypsy likes this.
  19. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

Thanks! I think... :)

20. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Just came across this thread in a search, and since you people are discussing ship fighting - I'm hoping I can find one of you who knows the answer to this question:

If we're hunting pirates in a party, do party members have to do damage during the fight to have a chance at getting a piece of an Orc ship? I plan to run my healer in a separate client and need to know if she needs to participate in the damage.

Thx

21. DreadLord Lestat

I believe that you only have to be in party but the easiest way to make sure is to man the cannon at least once with grapeshot where you damage the ship and a couple of the npc's (hopefully the captain too) on it. When the person turns in the bounty, everyone in the group should get a reward.

22. startle

I can handle that.... Thanks DL :)

23. Miss Chiff

Miss Chiff Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Hello All,

Just back after a few years and I am really having difficulty with this High Seas thing. It took quite a while to get things worked out but today I took out a merchant ship to the point it was a mess and it would still not let me board. I am very frustrated can someone please explain HOW to get on the ship to loot? (Yes I clicked the lines but it told me I didn't have permission)

Attached Files:

#23 Miss Chiff, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  24. DreadLord Lestat

You have to keep hitting it until the deck has large holes in it, then you can board it. I usually use a combination of Heavy Grape Shot and Heavy Canon Balls. Off hand, I would say somewhere between 12 and 18 shots fired but its been a few months.

25. Miss Chiff

Miss Chiff Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Sir Lestat, I shall now call you Obiwan! I stayed in the same spot fishing and trying to get myself on that boat and in the nick of time I was able to hit it 2 more time and gain access. THANK YOU! *MUAH!*

Arrr! I be a pirate now!!

Attached Files:

#25 Miss Chiff, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Daga Taga likes this.
  26. DreadLord Lestat

Congrats!! Arrr! Always room for more pirates on the water!!

27. startle

Great job! Both of you... ;)

28. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Makes me want to try this out now. Anyone up for taking down some ships on Atlantic?

29. Miss Chiff

Miss Chiff Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

DJAd likes this.