1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Should 'Protection' take the hit regarding drawbacks?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by canary, Feb 21, 2010.

1. canary

canary Guest

Topic title pretty much sums it up...

Do you think the Protection spell should incur the -35 Resisting Spells, -15 phys resist and automatic 0 faster cast?

I feel that the 0 Faster cast is perfectly fair, especially as it balances spells being fizzled in PvP, but at this point in time I think the -35 Resisting Spells and -15 to Phsical Resist is a bit much. IMO, though, the -35 Resist Spells bothers me far more than the Physical Resist hit. For the record, I've built a suit that counters the Physical Resist hit (all 70's even w/ Protection on) and have 101 Resist Spells before holding a spellbook to augment it further. I just think that there are too many negatives cast upon the spell itself.

Is this something anyone would like the dev team to look at (and yes, I know there are FAR more pressing things for the team to get around to... just throwing out a thought)?

2. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Yes; it's quite appropriate, and few if any Fighters would have much chance against any Mage in PvP without those penalties. All of them.

-Galen's player

3. canary

canary Guest

How does the Resisting Spells penalty stop a fighter from taking a mage? LOL. Even a high level poison will affect someone with Resist Spells, and pretty much everyone orange petals it.

I already said I agreed with the FC penalty. The Resisting Spells and the Phys Resist are the ones I question... although mainly I disagree with the Resisting Spells penalty.

4. Alezi

Alezi Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Who uses protection anyway apart from the occasional protection-summon demon "combo"?

5. AzSel

AzSel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I think the penalties should stay as they are, BUT if you have gm inscription I think the penalties should be lessened even more as it is now. Say half the resist skill penalty and half the physical resist penalty.

6. Gelf

Gelf Guest

yes there r way too many drawbacks, the -35 skill penalty should never have been in game.

7. Cardell

Cardell Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

The -15 Physical Resist helps the fighter. The - 35 Resist helps the mages......

Protection is fine. If anything the penalties need to be greater.

8. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Protection is fine. Take a good mage who can play with protection on and you got an annoyingly hard player to kill.

But then again the last time I saw a good mage who always played with protection was a year or two ago.

9. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I run with protection on a lot because I usually carry a spellbook in PvM (particularly spawns) and then switch to my mage weapon when reds arrive. I have enough time to get out of wraith form and onto my mount, but not much else. I like protection because it is dependable. My suit is built for FC 0/FCR 6. I wish I could negate the effects of resist spells. But even with two +15 Resist spells jewels, I only get back up to 116 resist. It would be nice if they would change the reduction to 30 instead of default 35 (or 34 if human). I know I could use inscription to get to 30, but then something else has to go on the template. Oh well... I just make it work. Over building your suit by 15 Phys Resist is not hard at all in this age of imbuing.

-OBSIDIAN-

10. Bombastic Fail

Bombastic Fail Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Use the circlet Aegis of Grace! :thumbup1: 20 DCI & 10+ Resist FTW sir =)
    (Yes it is medable)

And no; keep protection how it is. *Checks vote*

11. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I had not thought about that, but the lost resists from my kasa would force a complete suit rebuild. I try to run max SDI possible to help my PvM wither. Let me toy with the numbers in my armor spreasheet. I didn't realize it was medable so thanks.

-OBSIDIAN-