1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Siege mages... the good, the bad, the indifferent??

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Gellor, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Hi... I'm Gellor and I'm a Siege newbie:hahaha: (Okay, now that I've got the AA intro out of the way)

For those who play mages, I'm looking for a little input. Nope, not your standard template questions or the like.

How bad is it to deal with regs? Looting issues? Stolen issues?

How do you deal with fc/fcr? Disposable 2/6 set? Spell book? Shield?

Are arcane clothing "siege blessable"? Not CBD but siege bless.

Lastly, I've got a tight template and I'm looking at a filler skill between wrestle, parry, or poisoning. I could make arguments for all of them. Any input?

2. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

Whats your template right now before picking those skills.

3. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

I guess anything equipable is blessable...

4. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Lets just call him a straight mage for now. He's gonna have eval, magery, and meditation. Probably GM on the later two skills and as high as I can on eval.

Here are my arguments for each of the skills I presented:
    • wrestling - provides a non-removable defense against dexers. Can't disarm my hands:lick:
    • parry - provides another method for defense against dexers. But does make pot chugging problematic if I use a spellbook to help out with equipement.
    • poison - provides offense for field fighting(literal field fighting)

Magic resist is an option but lack of it is overcome by a few means out there.

This char is going to be used in PvP.

5. Queen Amy

Queen Amy Guest

I actually go to mage shops and buy regs. For the last few years I played on Baja, I never had to do that, with insured high resist LRC.

My swords of prosperity are Siege blessed. Every thing else on me is considered a disposable item. I only wear gm armor. I have a large collection of fc 1 jewelry. I worry about having fc 2, but not so much about having fcr 6. Factions is alive and well on Siege, mostly I think for monster ignore, and being able to bless more items.

No, arcane clothes are not Siege blessable (I tried!).
    CBDs only work on Siege for items without any properties.

Wrestle is the best of those choices. You need 80 dex now for parry to work right. Everyone carries greater cure pots and eats orange petals, so poisoning is a waste. Personally, I use swords of prosperity to deflect arrows. No extra skill needed for that, so I can have necro and spirit speak.

6. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Hey Gellor, welcome to Siege. First recommendation, check out NEW - view the sticky at the top.

Pick up wrestling (unless you already have anatomy), gotta make sure you have 120 dodge ability or you'll get eaten alive by dexxers.

In answer to your questions -

It's not bad dealing with regs, I've never not had to deal with regs. Just only carry how many you can afford to lose. If I'm going hunting, I carry 200 of each, if I'm pvp'ing I'll carry 80 of each. If I'm going on a suicide mission, 40 of each. However instead of carrying a stack of say 80 mandrake, people put it in their packs as 8 stacks of 10 - makes it harder for them to loot you.

fc/fcr - you have a few options (I rarely run above 2/4 because I can't afford it):
    1. Bless a scrappers, pick up a throwaway 1/2 jewel (they cost 12k), and a 0/2 or 0/3 with DCI.
    2. Throwaway 0/2 (or 1/0) spell book, bless a nice 1/2 or 1/3 jewel, and the last jewel to finish off your 2/5+ with DCI.
    3. If your template requires you to have something in your hands, bless a nice 1/3 or 1/2 jewel, keep a throwaway 1/2 or 1/3 jewel (12k for the 1/2, 50k for a 1/3).
    4. Worst case scenario, run with two throwaway 1/2 jewels.

Arcane clothing - don't know if they are siege blessable, and I've never known anyone wanting to bless one because they'd now not be able to bless and use their single template item.

7. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Thanks for the replies.

To explain the arcane clothing question. I'm used to PvPing production shards. As such, I'm a bit used to the 100% lrc. But, when running with regs, if you lose anything you are out of a fight. So, if I had an arcane clothing item blessed, I could at least have 15 shots once I get rezzed to get some regs:eek: But that seems a moot point now.:sad4:

Good point on the parry. I run wrestle and parry on a mage on a production shard... but I make up points in dex by running int/mana heavy gear. Not so easy to do here.:sad4:

Now I'm a bit torn between poison and wrestle. Glad I've got time to decide:hahaha:

And of course answers generate more questions:hahaha:
    1) Spellbooks are not bleseed? *confused*

8. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

regular mage spellbooks are blessed (original no-modified books)
    The new event spell books are blessed and have powerful mods on them.

9. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Sorry for going of topic...WHY are they blessed????

Surely they shouldnt be???i mean, bless an orny...the dci book 5/2casting?!?

Plus (real reason) i cant steal em!!!lol

10. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Hopefully there'll be an answer to that question soon. I know I've submitted it as a 5 on Friday question, I expect others have too.

11. RichDC

RichDC Guest

How do i do this ill submit now???

12. Petra Fyde

go to the main uo page
    http://www.uoherald.com/news/

(or just put uo.com in your browser, it'll redirect)
    click on the last button on the left hand side 'Feedback', the drop down menu includes the category 'five on friday questions'

13. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Because thieves are hated. I just hope that once they are unblessed...we are able to disarm steal them, lol...la

14. Gellor

Gellor Guest

No problem with going off topic.

To clarify spellbooks: non-crafted spellbooks are blessed but crafted ones(scrappers and ones with mods) are not blessed?

15. Petra Fyde

Correct. Only spell books bought from npcs (or bought and filled then re-sold on player vendors) are blessed.

The exception being the recent additions dropping from the npc troops in the War of Shadows scenario - which is why we're querying them.

16. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Aye, i know im new and probs dont have much right to mention...

i have no problem with people being able to keep a full spell book on them risk free at all times...i just think that possibly one of the most beneficial spell books in the game atm are blessed on a non insure shard.

I mean you can have all your PvP SDI one of max fc/fcr and 15%LMC with 2items (one true has to be siege blessed) but this seems a little unfair to all other temps.

Or you can have 30%Lrc MR3 and all your SDI on the said 2items?!?

17. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Yeh as others have stated the arcane is not blessable. Plenty of us make those for anyone, provided they have the arcane gem for us to craft the arcane wear for them we usually will do so as crafters and oft sell arcane wear on vendors we may have. You would not really wish to use any Siege one bless item on something so *temporary* anyways ..ie after x amt of uses it has to be recharged anyhow best to save that one bless for something more crucial for ya that is less easily replaceable.

24 uses via us legendary tailors plenty of us out there so...just buy em again or get the one ya have recharged *unless looted off of ya* we make more or sell more on our vendors..np. :) So even if it was blessable I would say never waste a bless on something so.........replaceable on Siege.

18. Gellor

Gellor Guest

Zen,
    I'd almost agree but having PvP'd for a while on production shards, getting into the fight ASAP is often critical. That is why I was considering one for blessing.

Sure they are replaceable but I don't know of any dungeon vendors:hahaha:

19. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

:) Well maybe someone here HAS some dungeon vendors lol wont be any of my chrs. cuz the dark wisps here HATE my crafters lol and anywhere northish seems to be fond hangouts for dark wisps and dungeon areas... I need to be ALIVE to craft. HAHA :)

20. Black magick

Black magick Guest

Regs is easy enough to deal with, even if you're lazy like me. 2/5 is easy enough to get, siege bless a 1/3 and run a 1/2, which is pretty decent all things considered. Out of the skills you mentioned I would take wrestling for the dci against dexxers. Everyone runs cure pots basically so poisoning on a mage is a wasted skill for the most part.