1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Siege Resource Bank

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Quira, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Quira

Quira Guest

Since you all have been so friendly towards DTA in the trooper thread, I really appreciate that!, can I run this past you?

I am thinking about opening a resource bank, we would stock all resources (think stackables, with a few exceptions, like arcane gems)... generally speaking ingredients for other stuff, not finished products. You know the stuff, wood, ingots, gems, feathers, ... also white pearls, dragon scales, ...

We would try to stock all of them, also the rare ones. And we would let the price be market driven.

I would maintain a thread (sticky?) where I would post the buying and selling price for every single resource. I would keep those prices close together, I am not into this for making a profit, but for keeping up DTA's legacy and name. At the published prices I would always buy/sell resources. If our stock drops too much, I would have to raise the price for that resource slightly, if the stock grows, I would lower the price. This way the price would always automatically be the correct market price.

I am now in the process of gathering information. Looking for prices, finding out what resources exist. I have a fair amount of money set aside for getting the initial stock. If you guys think this would work, that this would help a free and open market on Siege, I will start it.

Would love your feedback on this.

BTW, I have no intention of competing with Petra's Where to shop thread, I would be perfectly happy with letting her know the market price of things, so she can publish them, and declaring that we buy at 5% under that price and sell at 5% above it.

Kind regards

2. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Neat idea.

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Please... Just do not give out sub prime loans for housing. >.<

4. Quira

Quira Guest

I hope this is not pushing the limits on what is acceptable on the boards, but yesterday it was announced in Belgium that there was a Sperm Bank Crisis... that made me smile.

Kind regards

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*chuckles* That will fly. I just hope 700 billion is not needed.

Oh yeah... HaHa. Don't go there...

6. Czarina

Czarina Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I really love this idea. Would you be putting the resources for sale on vendors? or would it be a icq based thing? Also would you be selling in set amounts or would you take bulk orders? hehe im full of questions tonight. can you tell im needing bulk of something? *coughs* barbed *coughs* horned

7. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

:) the commodity prices in the shop thread are only meant as a guide. There were frequent posts asking for price checks so I thought it would be helpful to have something in the sticky. I'll happily adjust it to stay current if I'm given the information.

8. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Guest

it's a good idea.

9. Mr X

Mr X Guest

This would be a poor example of supply and demand economics. I for example have a stack of 60k valorite ingots in my castle. Going by cybernickel's prices I can get 18 million for them (he sells at 300k per 1k) Cybernickel sets the price because he is the only person I see selling valorite ingots. He can charge whatever the market will pay since he is the only seller. To use your stockpile as the end all be all price is rather foolish. Free market determines the price. Just the knowledge that I have 60k valorite ingots will probably drive the price down. I have a supply that nobody knew about til just now, and I am sure others out there have the same. However I will not sell at cyber's price. I would only sell at 50 million for 60k ingots. You see I just set the price because nobody else is selling 60k valorite ingots. Even if nobody wants my ingots that is still the over inflated price. The price will not come down until somebody is selling 60k ingots for less. To use your stockpile as a price setter could easily be manipulated by those in charge.

Free market supply and demand will trump any regulated price fixing. When you try to regulate the free market you get the problems the United States is in today.

10. Azural Kane

Azural Kane Guest

Don't fret Petra...

Not everyone prices their goods according to actual resource costs, and most at that don't know how much they're gouging.

11. Quira

Quira Guest

I think vendors would be needed, otherwise sales would depend on my being available online. Vendors are also a proof of credibility. If I say I sell at a given price, it should be visible that I do.

@Mr X: Actually, I think it is a good concept for a demand driven market. Let's take the valorite ingots. As long as I can buy them from Cybernickel at his price, obviously that price is right. I can understand that you want to hold on to your stack longer, and you can, hence the term free market.
    If Cybernickel's stock shrinks and he cannot get any more, he will raise his price, in turn my stock will shrink or I will have to pay more, that will make my price go up. If the price ever gets close to yours, you can consider selling. If not, you are just sitting on a commodity deed.

In economics a free market is said to depend on transparency of prices, and that is basically what I intend to provide.

Kind regards