1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Siege ROT: Copy of PM sent to Joanne

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Hoffs, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Hello,

I would be grateful if you pass on the following message to the team member who was dealing with the recent ROT changes to Siege. I forget who it was, but it was Jeremy and (I think) another female member who were involved.

Hi,

After the recent changes to Siege ROT, I believe Jeremy mentioned that further tweaks could be made if required. To this end I would like to bring to your attention a recent poll conducted on the Siege Stratics forum in which almost 100 people took part.

I think the poll shows that a clear majority (68% of those who voted and 77% of those expressing a preference) thought that the current times between gains are too high. Opinions on the matter varied of course, although a common theme was that the limited gains per day and the length of time between gains is a double handicap; the daily skill gain cap in itself is a sufficient restriction and new members spend too much time getting their gains instead of 'going out and playing'. Particular dissatisfaction is directed at the 90-100 gain area which would take someone six hours to get their daily gains if training just the one skill.

Two further polls were started asking people what they thought the time between gains should be at the lower and higher ends of the scale. These polls did not receive so good a response and opinions were fairly varied, but I include a link to them at the end of this message.

I would appreciate it if the development team would consider these findings and a possible change in the near future.

Regards,

Hoffs of Siege Perilous

Poll on 70-80 skill gain times

Poll on 110-120 skill gain times

2. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

ROT really is stupid my brothers play on a production shard and talked me into raising a char there OMG i forgot how nice it was to raise a skill so fast. Day 4 all gm's or above, if siege would take out ROT we would get so many new people in this shard. ROT the reason others dont join. Nobody wants to take 5-6 months build a char its way to long. I mean really why would anyone care if more poeple played in siege

3. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It's actually quite a bit less no with the changed timer, it's about 70 days or just over 2 months to 7xGM, this is a HUGE change. It used to be 2-3 weeks longer. And it's much quicker to GM+ skills now as well.

I don't think RoT needs to be removed, it's one of the unique things about Siege. Although I do think the timer between gains should just be eliminated. You still have skill gain cap for the day, you can just get it all in 5 minutes, which would be nice.

I don't mind it taking 3 months to complete a char now, but that's assuming I max ALL my skills each day. If I'm working a single skill, that's 6 hours of playing or logging in/out in the 90's & 100's. Not really acceptable IMO.

That being said Thanks Hoffs!

4. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Give an inch they take the mile... I really tired of this...let the devs. just drop
    the RoT stuff and let you set your skills to anything anytime...
    After all, why pretend that this is not what you want!

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

5. Mr X

Mr X Guest

I think ROT should be removed altogether. It might be the only way to save siege. The same 10-15 people fighting the same 10-15 people every night is getting old. Also the faction arties have to go. There is really no point in farming anything for anything right now. Unless you want a bok or bow which requires heartwood kits. After that there really is no point to farming. All the top end gear is easily gotten from silver.

6. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

It's not what I want. If I wanted it, I would play TC.

But I still don't see a reason that I should have to spend 6 hours a day gaining my 3.0 in swords over GM in order to max my gains for a day.

The Skill gain caps are about right IMO now. You can GM something in about 8 days [assuming you have the 5-6 hrs per day to work the single skill]. In two weeks you can have an 'Ok' character.

There's no reason to have the inordinate amount of time between gains. The RoT refers to the overall process, not the complete tediousness that is the time between gains. Removing or drastically reducing the time between gains still leaves RoT, as it's still Rate Over Time. I get 5, 4, or 3 points per DAY. I still have to build my character over time [Days]. I shouldn't be forced to build it over 5 hours every day over days if I choose to work a single single.

7. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Wait until the 'build your own arti' creator called imbuing goes in with Stygian Abyss. The only thing you'll see people farming is PS for 120 imbuing and the mats for imbuing.