1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Siege ROT times

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Hoffs, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

The first poll on Siege ROT gain times has been up for a week now and I would like to thank the nearly one hundred people who took part. I would say the poll shows that a clear majority of respondents believe that at least some of the times between gains are too long. At the time of writing, and adjusting for Patty's error, 69% of total voters and 78% of those who expressed a preference indicated so.

This data alone can now be submitted to Jeremy, and hopefully the development team will consider some change to the timings. However, it would probably be even more useful if we could provide a bit more feedback and, best of all, come up with a consensus on what the timing should be. This will not be easy, however, as opinions will vary quite a lot. There are those who do not want any change to the current times and even some who want to see an increase. Then there are others who think that the daily skill cap alone is all that is needed and that any long time between gains is unnecessary.

I believe that the best thing to do now would be a further two polls on what people think is the best time between gains firstly at GM level skill and secondly at the initial 70-80 skill level times. Any consensus on these poles will set the upper and lower limit on timings from which the others can be derived.

The two polls, and their links, are shown below:

Poll 2
    What do you think the time should be between gains at the 110-120 skill level?

a) 20 minutes or above.
    b) 15 minutes
    c) 10 minutes
    d) 8 minutes
    e) 5 minutes
    f) 2 minutes
    g) I favour a time other than those listed
    h) I am undecided
    i) I have no preference

Poll 3
    What do you think the time should be between gains at the 70-80 skill level?

a) 8 minutes or more
    b) 5 minutes
    c) 2 minutes
    d) I favour a time other than those listed
    e) I am undecided
    f) I have no preference

2. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Well, I'll be the first to jump in the pool. I'm not completely decided upon this, but I'll address 1 poll at a time.

Poll 2: on GM - 120 skill gains

I think this time needs to be lowered. I would be in favor of 5 minutes, but I could also be in favor of anything 10 minutes or less.

Poll 3: on 70-80 skill gains

I have mixed emotions about this one. I am ok with the 5 minutes, but I would also be in favor of starting RoT at 80 instead of 70 and adjusting the timers down accordingly.

3. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Im too old school and my answer will prolly get flamed, but here goes anyways.

Poll 3) i'm in favor of a shorter time (mayber this will encourage others to come to siege)

Poll 2) (and here's the old school part) When i came to Siege it literally took 6 months (or more) to get a character to 7x GM, and that was alot of dedicated play time. I wouldn't mind seeing maybe an even longer time to get to 120. Maybe just between 110 and 120. There are alot of jewels and equipment available to get the remaining points. So, there ya have it, flame on.

I had to edit my post i had the polls backwards.

4. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

I think 10 minutes is fine. it will be sufficiently long to keep soem distance for finisheing characters but at 110+ skills a char is at least viable.

5. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

I'm in favor of 5 minutes across the board for all timers.

6. i'm favorable to shorten down a bit all the tiers

7. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

*giggles*
    *makes suggestive comment about Hoff's "pole"*

8. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

*wacks AEowyn*

get yer mind out of his gutter....

dumhead breedurs....

9. I favor a smart RoT system that determines the time between gains based on the number of skills being trained. Total training time each day should be less than an hour to get all your gains regardless of the number of skills training or their levels.

Short of something intelligent like that, just make it the same at all levels and make the timer short like 2 minutes. It will still take longer when training a single skill but it won't be seven hours which is absolutely ridiculous.

10. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Ah yes. Duuuuh! A deliberate mistake of course.

11. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I must say I would like to have the same time across the board as I believe the current system is unnecessarily complicated and that would help simplify it. That said, though, I would prefer it was just two minutes between every gain, or at least for the 70-80 part, but I think that would be too much of a change for most people.

So how do other people feel about five minutes between gains throughout ROT?

12. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I would be in favor of that.

or for the UK version. . .

I would be in favour of that.

13. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Anyone else with opinions to add?

Thing is, we can send in the results of the previous poll and, if we are lucky, the devs will reduce the times but in all probability only by a small amount, and I think that most people want to see more of a substantial reduction overall.

So I think it is vital to try and give an indication of exactly what we want, and that means we should try and work out something that a sizeable proportion are reasonably happy about.

14. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Why don't you do your second poll as planned?

15. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable

I would like to see the times between gains reduced, at least for 70-gm. I don't mind the daily caps. It just takes so long to get all of the gains in one days with the current times. I think Idico worked out how long it takes to get all of your gains in one day?

Maybe....
    70-80......2 min
    80-90......4
    90-100.....6 min
    100-120....8 or 10 min.

or if the devs have to break it up
    100-110....8 minutes
    110-120....10 min

16. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

As there seems to be no further discussion at the moment, I have gone ahead and posted the polls. However, I have made Poll 2 just for the 110-120 skill level.

17. I like 10 minutes above 100, 70-80 is fine at the current 5 minutes.

18. a drunk elf

a drunk elf Guest

Soulstones and Guaranteed ROT gains make it too easy to be GM EVERYTHING on Siege.

19. Avo

Avo Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

rot rot rot rot rot rot rot. I was reffered to this page and it seems i must first post before i can read what im posting about. Hmm, my feet hurt from typing...

20. RedDaTeef

RedDaTeef Guest

I think it should be 15 mins from 70-80 and 2 mins from 110-120...just to mess with people.*winks*