1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Siegmund and Sigmar - Unacceptable Names?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by WarderDragon, Oct 6, 2010.

1. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

Someone explain to me what is offensive about the names Siegmund and Sigmar.

2. Ahuaeyjnkxs

Ahuaeyjnkxs stranger diamond

hahahahha, rofl big time !

Exept if you don't like psychoanalysis, I don't see whats the problem ; what are you experiencing ? :lol:

3. Babble

Babble Guest

Too close to Siege?

4. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Siegmund
    Siegmar

5. canary

canary Guest

rolleyes:

They really need to ease up on some things...

6. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

That's just a theory, mind you.
    "Si" and "gm" are the only commonalities between them, and as "GM" is something they wouldn't want people impersonating, it somewhat fits.

I tamed a raptor one time, and had a really clever idea for a name, but it wouldn't let me use it. It was only after I looked hard that I saw a potentially word nestled in there that I haven't seen used since the 90's.
    Then you have "assassin" and "compassion" and such things, that get butchered or denied.

7. canary

canary Guest

It's a theory I tested a few just now and yup... its true. It's the 'gm' in the name.

8. WarderDragon

Annoying.

But then I ran into this same problem when I tried naming a character 'Titus' last month.

9. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

This is a case of the name filter run amok. The dial needs to be turned down from draconian…

Logically there is nothing wrong with Siegmund, Sigmar, or Titus. OR from having the word Compassion, Assassin, or Councilor in a guild title. (Yes, if Counselors still existed there might be a case…save for the completely different spellings and word meanings…)

Please stop trying to mother us to death with annoying filters.

10. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

If it helps any, they've been there for... ever?

11. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

The filters? Uhm, no, not even close. They are a retcon from when UO lowered its rating to Teen.

12. Ahuaeyjnkxs

13. Aran

So... let's see.... 9 years of 13? Close enough to forever.

14. Ahuaeyjnkxs

In my perspective to never.

15. Ahuaeyjnkxs

16. Aran

Go away Ahoobajoob.

17. Ahuaeyjnkxs

18. WarUltima

WarUltima Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

They wouldnt let me use Assassassian (my CS alias which I am aware of why :lol:)
    And I like Japanese sushi, and wanted to make a fisher named Nigili and no luck as well.

19. SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

This thread is hilarious considering I've seen characters with the N word for a name.

20. Aran

Sure you have.

21. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I have a char on oceania named titus but he was made before they tightened up the filter.

22. Ahuaeyjnkxs

23. BajaElladan

BajaElladan Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I have NOT tested this, and it would cost some gold, but have you tried creating a character with an allowable name, and then using a Name Change Token??

It is at least possible they forgot to run those thru the same filter.

An idea anyway.

24. WhityJinn

WhityJinn Guest

Damn, you can`t have a char named "Titus", but you can have some l33t pwnz0r running around.

Or that guy "Revol Regin", hahaha.

25. SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

There is someone on Pac who makes trial accounts just to **** people off and creates names and trolls in General chat. Check for yourself. =]

26. Ls Jax Ls

Ls Jax Ls Visitor

Absolutely. As soon as you can explain to me why anyone would want either of those names.

27. Babble

Babble Guest

Good germanic names?
    Sigurd should work though.
    :p

28. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I won't say what some of the characters I have are named. I didn't name them and I can only assume they were created FAR before any filters were put into the game.

Though I have dreams of the day I quit littering the bank with sashes made by one or two of them... My the fun that would be. *ponders for a moment how much they might be worth someday*.....

Ahem... sorry...... anyway I think the filter is silly and someone should be able to make a decent filter that works..... Oh I'm sorry hehe we are talking about UO DEV's.... yeah.... ok nevermind.

Anyway every once in awhile I think about just deleting some of those more questionably named characters.... but then I just can't bring myself to do it. After all they are likely at least 11 or 12 years old... would be like deleting a child or something.

Besides everytime we get stuff with our own names on it.... I get all giddy.... *grins*

:lol::lol:

29. WarderDragon

I understand the need for a filter being there to quell the most profane names and titles. (Though it seems to do a poor job of it.)

But then explain to me Guild Titles. Is there a reason I cannot use the title 'Master,' or 'Bard?'

If I am roleplaying and I want to give a character the title 'Wandering Bard,' I cannot.

It wouldn't take much to block words (i.e. GM) and not entire names with that combination of characters. (Siegmund or Titus.) Same rule should apply to Guild Titles.

This.

[​IMG]

Siegmund the Volsung. In Norse Myth, Sigmund is a Hero whose story is told in the Volsunga Saga. [...] Sigmund is best known as the father of Sigurd the Dragon Slayer.

Sigmar Heldenhammer. Sigmar Heldenhammer is a fictional deity in the Warhammer Fantasy setting. He is the patron deity of The Empire. Before he became a god, Sigmar was a man, albeit an exceptional, perhaps even superhuman one. The young chieftain of the Unberogens who lived 2,500 years before the present day of the Warhammer universe, he united the barbarian human tribes into what would become the mightiest human nation - the Empire. His sign is a twin-tailed comet or a war hammer.

Sigmar appears to be inspired by a series of heroes from myth, fantasy literature, especially Robert E. Howard's Conan the Cimmerian, as well as historical figures, particularly Charlemagne and Charles Martel. An image of a hammer-wielding barbarian appeared on early versions of Warhammer Fantasy Battle fighting Orcs and Goblins.

30. Aran

Why not be a little original instead?