1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Skeleton keys

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Doubleplay, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Does anyone know what skeleton keys do? I can see no difference when using them as compared to a normal lock pick.

2. Gb8719

Gb8719 Journeyman

Apparently supposed to increase your chance to pick the lock. I also notice that I fail just as frequently at GM lockpicking with a skeleton key as I do with a normal lockpick...

3. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Same here. I was already at GM when the keys came out. Perhaps they enable lower skill lock pickers to succeed with higher level chests before they have the required skill level. Can anyone confirm this?

4. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Upsides
    Slightly better chance of opening (not enough to be noticeable with the RNG silliness)
    Much easier to open level 5-7 Paragon chests with
    weigh a fraction of the weight of a big pile of picks
    only expend a charge when successful (as opposed to potentially breaking a couple dozen picks if the RNG hates you on a chest)

Downsides
    Grubber
    loot destruction on some fails

5. Varingian

Varingian Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran The Squirrel Empire

When your key is down to one charge throw it away. They give decent points.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

6. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

I don't think the Grubber is a downside.

I think the keys give you a 10% increased success chance. Master keys grant 100% success.

#6 Logrus, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  7. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

What are "Master Keys" ?

8. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Skeleton master keys never fail to open a chest.

#8 Frarc, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  9. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Grubbers give two ordinary leather hides too! Yes I am a meany.

10. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I think the Master Keys come from level 7 chests, but I've not gotten one in the 2 level 7s I've done

11. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Yea, I have not gotten one either, but then again I have only done about 15 level 7 chests.

12. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Do they break or have a certain number of uses?

13. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

One use.

14. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Well, that certainly suks... I won't be spending any time looking for them... thx...:)

#14 startle, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  15. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

I use them for Level 7 Treasure Maps chests.

#15 Frarc, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    Parnoc likes this.
  16. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Hmmm. I did two diabolicals yesterday, both had normal keys inside. Oddly enough, using normal lockpicks, both chests opened on the first try. I guess getting a master pick is not something to look forward to lol. These two chests were in Ter Mer and the only difference I could see between them and a level six was the appearance of an enraged colossus guardian (much weaker than a normal wyrm or greater dragon). The treasure was comparable to level 6 chests too, except for 5000 more gold and 500 more turn in points.

17. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The thing with regular lockpicks and skeleton keys is that, if I understood it well, for each failure an item gets or might get destroyed inside the chest which it could also be some artifact or good stuff...

So, trying over and over with regular lockpicks with high level chests might end up losing quite a few good items from inside the chest as compared to using a skeleton key which offers a higher chance on suceeding in picking the lock.

Does anyone have a good experience on using master skeleton keys on level 6 or 7 chests ? How easy is it to pick those levels chests locks with a master skeleton key ? On first try in most cases ?

#17 popps, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  18. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

I love the skeleton keys, I failed a lot more with regular lock picks, I can usually get a level 6 chest open within 3-4 attempts as where it sometimes took up to 8-15 without.

19. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I do not think that the skeleton keys improve success (except the master key). It's just that they don't break. My experience is that it takes just as long to get into a chest with the skeleton key, and I lose just as many items to gas and grubber, but when the chest finally opens, only one use shows on the key. Consequently, a skeleton key will open 10 chests. The master key opens chests on the first try but it has only one use. I am really getting to like the keys because I know when I leave for a dig, if my key has one use left, that I will be able to open what I find. That was not the case with regular picks, as 10 may not always be enough to crack the lock and I found myself always carrying a lot of picks.

I cannot be sure I am right on the failure issue because I switched over to the skeleton keys right away and have been using them since. It just seems to me that the failure rate has not changed since switching over.