1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Skill Gain and Skill Items / Stat Questions

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by Papadom, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Papadom

Papadom Guest

Should I remove my skill gain items when trying to gain real skill? I have a tamer with 95 taming and use skill gain items to raise it above 100. Should I remove those items when trying to GM taming?

Is there a way to tell if you have a stat scroll installed on your char? I have been gone from UO for about 2 years and I don't remember I had upgraded my stats.

Also is this a good stat combination for a mage/tamer(PVM)
    Str:99
    Dex:10
    Int:121

What would a good combination of stats?

Thanks

2. If you use jewels to increase your taming, you will need to tame creatures that are on par with your displayed skill, not real skill. Gaining will still happen but usually will be slower.

Go to your skills gump, and on the bottom you will see "show caps" This will tell you what your caps for each skill are.

Max int
    10 dex
    rest in str

This works well unless you run around a lot without a mount (ie with a greater dragon), in which case, you may want to put a couple more points in dex.

3. Papadom

Papadom Guest

Thanks for the info!

So, you can't use a mount when you control a Greater Drag?

4. uoBuoY

uoBuoY Guest

Can't have any other pet when the Greater is out of the stable.

Keep in mind, the higher your effective skill (real + bonuses) the slower you will gain.

To make gains easier, SoulStone all skills other than Taming, Lore and Vet. At the very least you'll get 3-4 GGS per day but I feel that I gain faster overall when my total skills are under 350.

This taming gain calculator has helped me a lot:
    http://www.tamingarchive.com/main/whattotame.php?skill=98.2

5. EnigmaMaitreya

EnigmaMaitreya Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I do not believe your total stats indicate you have used any stat scrolls.

To check Skills, use the Skill Gump and click on Caps (Skill Caps).

I think better distribution of Stats might be

Str(110 or 115)
    Int(110 or 105)

6. Nine Dark Moons

Nine Dark Moons Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Are Lore and Vet required to gain in Taming at high levels? My taming is 108.9 and it's raising dreadfully slow. My Lore and Vet are 120. What would happen if I Soulstone Vet and Lore to drop my total skill level below 350? Would my Taming gain any faster? Or does taming gain depend on Lore/Vet skill?

7. uoBuoY

uoBuoY Guest

Taming + Lore = Control
    Lore and Vet = Heal/Rez

I'm not sure how it would work with no Lore. It is, however, recommended to lock Lore 100.0

Here is a table of GGS gain times:
    http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/ggs.shtml

8. Nine Dark Moons

Nine Dark Moons Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

well, for training purposes, i dumped lore and vet to soulstones to lower my total skill cap, and been gaining taming skill steadily. up to 112 now :) so it works fine to dump those 2 skills completely while you train.