1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Skill gains

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Rasah, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Rasah

Rasah Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Does skill gain get harder as you approach the 700-720 skill cap? or is it solely on specific skill level?

2. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

This chart shows how skill gains slow down when you get near the 720 cap
    http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/stat-and-skills-general/skill-gain-systems
    I often put a couple skills on soulstones while trying to raise one skill (hiding, for example)
    I'm pretty sure I've found the chance of a guaranteed gain faster when I'm not near the total cap
    But now that you ask, does anybody know if this theory is still valid?

Jade of Sonoma and petemage like this.
  3. Aibal

Aibal Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, the higher you are in total skills, the slower a skill will gain. The same is true as a skill approaches it's cap.

4. The Zog historian

The Zog historian Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

It's true that the lower your total skill points, the sooner you can get a guaranteed gain. However,

is not true. It's another urban legend. A skill will gain more slowly as it increases, but it doesn't depend on total skill points. This was emphasized when skill locks were introduced, a welcome change from the original system of "learning by watching," gains slowing as more people use the skill, and natural skill atrophy.

http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_1#Skill_Management

5. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

If you have Soul Stones, You can stone skills till you have under 300 and gain more points per hour.

6. Silverbird

Silverbird Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Actually the GGS slows down, if your near your skill cap. But thats it.

kongomongo likes this.
  7. kongomongo

kongomongo Lore Master
    Professional Campaign Supporter

8. Rasah

Rasah Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks guys I should have said slower for clarity in my first question. I guess I am just another victim of the urban legend.

Thanks for the quick answers.

9. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

I also wanted to make sure I understood the system when Rasah asked the question. So to sum up what I think has been said so far:

- The higher your skill, the slower the gains ( I think everybody has noticed that)
    - If you’re logging on every once in a while just for that guaranteed gain, total skill cap is important. For example, if you're raising a skill that’s 101 and your total skill points are 350, you can log in for a guaranteed gain every 6.6 hours until you get to 105, then the time between gains is longer. But if you’re at 101 and your total skills are 700, you can only get a guaranteed gain every 32 hours. That's a big difference when you're logging on for those final couple gains.
    http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/stat-and-skills-general/skill-gain-systems
    - If you’re just grinding away trying to raise a skill, total skill points makes no difference in how fast you gain.
    Is this correct for the record?

10. Silverbird

Silverbird Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It is mostly right. :D

Personally, I wouldnt fully agree with:

Very important to gaining speed is also the difficult of what you want to do. Most ppl get their best gains, when they try stuff that has a difficulty of around 55-65%. Adjusting your difficulty right, is one of the keys to faster gaining.

#10 Silverbird, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014