1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Skill Question: Resisting Spells

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by sekkho, Jan 18, 2009.

1. sekkho

sekkho Guest

I've done a little bit of reading about this skill, and I keep finding that it only resists things like curse, paralyze, poison, etc. Not reducing damage dealt from damage based spells. Is this true? If so, then do people still feel that this skill is useful?
  2. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Mar 18, 2003

Someone with GM resist got 40 in all elemental resist without armor. 44 when Legendary. I know my character with 120 resist can not be paralyst and the curses from Doom bossses are alot less for him.
    I like having resist on my characters.

3. Arch Magus

Arch Magus Guest

I love resistin' spells.
    For the same reasons Frarc pointed out.

With 120 Resist I have 44 in all resists naked.
    I resist Nox from enemy pvp'ers most of the time.this is very important.
    Curses drop your stats significantly less.
    Necro curses do less damage.
    Necro curses don't last as long.
    Mana Vampire doesn't completely destroy me.

Bottom line: Resist spells is good.:scholar:
  4. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Jul 16, 2003
    The Resists one gains from Resist Spells are actually the least important part of the skill, now. However, they are pretty convenient, like when you're trying to get dressed after a rez and something takes an interest in giving you another deathrobe. In such a case, those 40 or so resists can keep you alive long enough to get a close wounds or greater heal off as you dress - or at least run away.

Consider also that nearly everything requires mana. The effect of the mana drain and mana vampire is based on the caster's Eval, minus the target's Resist skill.

This means that if you have higher eval than the caster's eval, you will only be inconvenienced, as opposed to being totally shafted.
  5. sekkho

sekkho Guest

thanks for the answers, that clears things right up :)
  6. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Mar 18, 2004
    exactly that's my main reason for having it