1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice

Smithing BODS worth the time?

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Guest, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have been at it for a month now. And so far can not put together any hammer over bronze.

    I've burned a few hundred thousands ingots filling BODS..
    I have more Powder of fort than I could probably give away much less sell.


    It just seems, is the time invested in mining/bod filling worth it?

    I know some do it to role play, but even after these changes it seems to be a very poor use of my play time.

    Do others feel its a good use of time as far as aquiring wealth/items is concerned (not asking if you enjoying filling thousands of bods..)
     
  2. Well if you have that much time to spare I have no clue, but I have been doing BODs for a long time (far less hours per day then you) and never got anything better than a bronze so far.
     
  3. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,482
    Likes Received:
    595
    Here's what I did, prior to the BOD changes.

    Note that for the first year playing, I only had 3 BOD runners, added 2 in year 3, and another last year.

    1. First of all, sort out the BODs you have, by color, and determine which rewards are good, and which are junk. In my case, the "Good" categories are Powder Chance, Colored Anvil Chance, and Hammers Bronze+ & ASH +30 & +60 (included +15s until I got overloaded with them, and got 3 +30s from the blackrock traders).

    2. Set up 9 boxes (I use paragon chests, cince they already come in the right colors). Set up 3 bags in each (ring, chain, plate - add more to the iron box if there are ones you wish to fill in the weapons category), with 6 markers in each (top row, 10/15/20 normal, bottom row 10/15/20 Exceptional). Also add an extra book or two in each box; 1 for spares, the other (if needed) for smalls with good rewards, whose large reward is crap (or has no LBOD)

    3. Go into each box/chest, then to each bag/backpack in it. Go to each Marker. If the large the marker represents gives a reward you want, put a BOD Book in its place (and name it for the content type: Example, "Shadow Plate Exceptional 20"). If you don't want that reward, remove the marker completely. Do this for every marker. For the extra books that might be in each crate, name one "spare (metal name) BODs", the other the for the smalls you want to keep to turn as smalls (example: "Shadow 10 EX & 15 EX smalls")

    4. Take the BODs you sorted earlier, then go through each color, by Box. Put one of each BOD you have that falls into a "keeper" LBOD category, into the corresponding book, and any extras into the "spares" book, to help refill the other book if you complete the other set (or to trade, if you find the opportunity). Put all the smalls with good rewards into the book for turning in small. All remaining BODs should be ones that you don't want, so either junk, give away or sell them.

    5. Try to make an effort for at least one run per day with every runner that can get colored BODs.

    6. Over time, your books will start to near complete sets.

    It's almost as if there is some sort of critical mass one gets to with collected BODs, if you have them sorted by type. I went over 3 years with nothing better than a Bronze or ASH +15, then got 3 gold hammers in a month in year 4. Almost simultaneously, I went from 3 years with no Barbed kits (on 1-4 tailors), to getting 3 barbed kits in a month, plus doubling the number of horned kits I'd gotten in the previous 3 years. Now, with these sets in place, and the sorting system above, I tend to get another gold hammer and 1-3 Barbed kits every 6 months (and 2 smalls from my first Verite hammer), and this was before the changes to the Smith BODs back in November (since then, ironically, I've had a lot less time to do BODs, due to in-game play on my non-crafters).

    However, the new changes (especially how they affect 120 Smiths) have made it to where, if I was still following that slow but steady path, plus filling iron junk BODs (which I still do for Gargoyle Picks and new BODs, when turned in by my 120 - just not as much), the increase of colored BODs would go well with ny established collection.

    In other words, if you can get a good start on most BOD sets you want, the bods you need seem to follow. In one week, I somehow managed to get 2 smalls and a large tailor BOD I needed to finish 3 different Barbed kit sets (all from 50 cloth BODs' replacements), and the one small I needed to finish my first ASH +60 LBOD. While it's illogical to think so, it's almost as if the system knew what I needed. In truth, it was knowing what BODs I needed, from being able to see them easily, that allowed me to quickly turn those windfalls into their rewards. Had I just tossed the BODs into a couple of books, I might have never realized I HAD the complete sets for the rewards.
     
  4. Trukx

    Trukx Guest

    3 minutes to fill 1 bod that gives a PoF=100k

    I had well over 3k unfilled bods when the new system went into place. Much like basara I group mine, but by reward type, not ingot color. Ive done about 1000 of them since the change and Ive gotten 2 sbods for val hammers that I sold for 6m each, about 150 PoF for 100k each and misc hammers from bronze - aggy. Basically since the change went in ive made about 33mil selling bod rewards alone. So id say its pretty lucrative, esp if you get lucky once in a while.
     
  5. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,482
    Likes Received:
    595
    What's funny is that I group by tailor BODs for sale by reward, like you do your collection, but within each box, I got a separate book for each "suit" the smalls can go for.

    If you have the breakdowns for what gives what reward memorized, sorting by reward is much neater than by material. The only problem I have is that while I can do it for the much smaller tailor system, I haven't been able to memorize the smith chart the same way (3 times as many ore types as leathers, and prior to the return of the footwear LBODs, only 2 categories of LBODs by point value compared to 3 for smiths), hence the sorting by ore type.
     
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    wish i could get 100k for PoF -

    Had to lower to 70k to move them on Atlantic. At 80 K i didnt sell a single one for a week. Now they are buying them 10 at a time.
     
  7. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    Messages:
    8,482
    Likes Received:
    595
    I've watched them drop from 80 (where I couldn't keep them in stock) to 75, to 70...

    However, I noticed some of my items taking uneven amounts of damage at the Moonglow event. My runic-crafted legs & sleeves and my Voice of the Fallen King took 220-255 points damage, when everythign else took about 100, so there MAY be something at the event hitting for extra resist-droppage.

    In which case, the price for the powder may go back up from demand.

    Meanwhile, I'm using my personal glut to put all items in my characters' suits up to 255. I've still got a backstock of 40, plus BODs for about 40 90% chances and 60 20% chances (worth it since I use the PT & GPA that are the rewards the other 80% - hell, Tycolby tends to BUY any GPA I can't immediately use myself for about what my ingot investment in the smalls would be worth, or gives me /sells me (at below market) the ingots to fill them - a win/win situation in any book).