1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Smithing Obselete?

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by ViscidSix, Sep 29, 2009.

1. ViscidSix

ViscidSix Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

With the dawn of imbuing is it still worth it to train Smithing? I have just started my smith and the more i read about imbuing the more i believe that it is greater than smithing. Maybe i dont understand it but can someone please clarify the benefits of Smithing since it seems like it can only make good weapons ( with tailoring being able to make medable armor with good properties) and still weapons can be imbued that are just as good. Thanks

2. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I think it will all work together. Remember there is no time penalty on soulstones now... You can switch skills at will.

3. Chadlo

Chadlo Guest

What are you talkinga bout? Penalty? What changed? *Waits with baited breath!!*

4. What Kelmo meant is that there is no 24 hour wait between uses on a soulstone... you can swap skills on a soulstone as you need them now.

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Yes. That is what I meant. *nods*

6. Also to your point, a few things to consider.

Smithing repairs armor, imbuing doesn't.

A good runic hammer can create armor and weapons much better than you can get from imbuing alone - imbuing has a max weighting of 500 and runics can easily exceed that.

Imbuing is good for finishing armor and weapons, but not starting from scratch. Non-GM items are limited to 450 weighting, GM items are 500.

Imbuing doesn't seem to give as good armor as smithing and tailoring. I might not be doing this right, but my smithed/tailored armor is much better.

7. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Ill put this as simply as i can.

NO!

:p

The reason, its fairly simple, smithing can make 6mods at 100% (have to be lucky)

A smith crafted weapon can theoretically be

50HLD
    50HLA
    50Hit Spell
    30SSI
    15HCI
    40DI

Or any other combination of 5mods max and 40DI.

An imbued weapon, forgetting the fact it will break, can only imbue 420 points of weighted intensity(i think its 420 DI counting x2)

So, alot less mods, at alot lower intensity.

Armour,

A smith can craft,

20LRC
    8lmc
    mr2
    and 2 resists boosted to over 20 +the arms lore bonus +the material bonus +mage armour!

Imbuer can probably imbue (not really tested on armour)

20LRC
    8lmc
    mr2
    and probably boost the resists of 1, not to the same intensity as smith can craft. Because, Mage armour is a property at 100%, the arms lore bonus is only counted in the resists you dont modify and it cant be crafted from a special material.

So far it seems that imbuing is going to be used more for jewels and bows/boks due to the fact that only 1 type of kit give 100% intensity on properties and a low base intensity.

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

If you are playing siege blacksmith, carpentry, tailor, and tinkering are all must haves on an artificer imo. I am one fo th first to 120 the skill on siege and I have been making extensive use of my Tailoring, carpentry, and smith.

low end runic hammers
    spined kits
    pof
    repairs
    oak kits

All have been used to produce some nice stuff for our insurance free nitch of UO:).