1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

So 260 stat cap finally?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by rareitem, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rareitem

rareitem Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I remember last year I got flamed for posting a thread asking for some action because pvp was dead, my idea was to put a +30 stat scroll drop ( 260 stat cap) on Harrower, just to get people interested again in doing champ spawns. Some people agreed with me but most people complained about my idea. Does anyone think that adding this kind of drop as it has been added is better than my idea?

2. temu

temu Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

We're not sure how the permanent drop will be implemented yet! I like this idea of a new obtainable +5 stat to go to 260 because it could give us something new and fun to sink our teeth into. :>

3. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

as to your post title, yes, a 260 stat cap..... for everyone but Ludes :lol:

legendsguy likes this.
  4. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

UMMMM
    Lets start a post to
    #1 try to lure more sheep into Fel or
    #2 give my Zerg Guild something new to sell so we can fleece everyone else out of thier gold

Here is hoping that these new scrolls do not end up in Fel at a Champ Spawn or #2 will happen

Surgeries, MalagAste and legendsguy like this.
  5. Zyon Rockler

Zyon Rockler Guest

They could add 5 stat scroll to Trammel and allow for binders, just normal drops from the boss and they could add 5 and 10 PS to The Champs drop also in Trammel, Illshnar.

What they should have done, was make these scrolls temporary so that the affect would wear off and you would lose stats slowly.

Then they could have higher stat scrolls, like a 40 or 50 that will last a few weeks. As your stats go up and peak, the stat scroll would wear off and your stats would begin to drop.

I think what they should do, is put the stats up as far as hit points and make it easier to raise those caps, somewhere around 300 then they could increase the power of some spells and specials. Perhaps, give bonuses to 120 skill that is real, that would have more of an impact. Some type of percentage where instead of it looking at what your hit points are, the system breaks it down into quarters. So, if someone has 100 strength, the quarters are 25. So, if you had 400, the quarters would be 100 with a sliding scale. So, you're up about 10% each quarter.

But that way PvM allows for less death and PvP allows for longer fights.

But unless they test to see what it's like, we don't have much chance of seeing it put in the game very soon. Alot of designs will have to be redesigned if they do decide to boost stats. I don't think the focus should be so much on death as it should be on the game play, which means more spells in PvM and more team work from the spawns which would make them more challenging and seemingly more intelligent.

But with 100 to 150 hit points, the game is more about short fights or sudden bursts that kill people rather than multiple challenges that continue for a period of time.

6. Phangs_of_Phage

Phangs_of_Phage Journeyman

If its a stat/skill scroll it should only drop in Fel. That is the one thing Fel has.

G.v.P likes this.
  7. Zyon Rockler

Zyon Rockler Guest

Sounds like they need to fix fel then also.. I think we could come up with some stuff to add to fel change it up a bit/.
    I have to tell you tho tram spawns are not that great and what ever they put in fel dose not make tram any better and its a shame to make one place suck because of anther. They need to find other ways to make fel better.. Like factions PvP.

If you make tram better more ppl join the game and more ppl end up in fel. To kill one so the other can live will only make fels death slower.

8. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

No offense, but Felucca already has 25 points of them... surely it could forego this +5 that is unique to the stat scrolls.

Felucca has plenty going for it as far as monopolies on interesting things... this doesn't need to be one of them.

Surgeries, Lord Frodo and MalagAste like this.
  9. Phangs_of_Phage

Tram has a full monopoly on artifacts. Lets let the next batch of OP arties be in fel only then.

Raptor85 likes this.
  10. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

:(

Mirt, Sevin0oo0 and Zosimus like this.
  11. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

New arties and stat scrolls are really not going to do much as far as increasing traffic to Fel or Tram or attracting people to either facet. Might as well take an area that a lot of people don't use very much and doing something with it.

One suggestion was some kind of champ spawn on the water for the stat scrolls. Tokuno is another option, but there are other areas - they are revamping dungeons. There are plenty of places for this to be a nice addition rather than just reigniting Tram/Fel debates that will ultimately go nowhere.

Zosimus likes this.
  12. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

My first thought was the harry, then I thought about an open peerless like situation. But now I'm wondering if there could be a factions tie-in.

Placement is an interesting debate, though. The original placement was Ilsh, which is otherwise Trammel. The item is free trade, so it'll move. Most PvP types will be closer to hard caps due to their suit, while casual PvMers may actually benefit more from a plus-five. The initial argument has to be stat gain is more important for PvP, but I wonder if a PvPer will notice the benefit on top of a high-end suit more than a PvMer who doesn't have much of anything special.

13. RaDian FlGith

Trammel also has a monopoly on a little thing I like to call "the player base." Which is to say there's a reason that Felucca gets all these silly tidbits that PvEers typically don't go biting into.

14. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Tbh +5 stats should only come from EM events, that way they will hold some value.

In fact thinking about it, wouldnt it be an nice idea for thevies in this game to benefit from it? make it a drop for all players but thevies can steal it in fel and tram?

15. Phangs_of_Phage

Rofl Ok. Have you looked at LS or atl or chessy recently and saw how active fel is there?

16. RaDian FlGith

Activity in Felucca is not the same thing as having a majority of the population. I haven't been on Chesapeake, Lake Superior, or Atlantic in quite some time, but I have friends who have been, and while each may have an active Felucca playerbase, it doesn't change that their Trammel playerbase is exponentially more active.

By "monopoly on the playerbase," I meant exactly that. A majority of the players play in Trammel. This isn't some statistic I'm making up, it's a plain fact of UO.

17. Phangs_of_Phage

Monopoly would mean full control of the playerbase. As in no one goes to fel because they want to. Google Websters Dictionary if you need help. And tbh the majority of UO players enjoy the pvp aspect of the game, they just wont be found on EA shards because of the horrid way EA has updated/patched/nerfed/expantioned the game.

18. RaDian FlGith

Yes, yes, yes... I suppose since you had to go and look it up for yourself, I might as well come clean and admit to using the colloquial use of the term "monopoly" in that when a service is controlled by a majority, a pseudo-monopoly exists, at least in the minds of those who are affected by it. I'm not sure which version of UO you've been playing, but given the amount of complaints derived from Feluccan players, you'd certainly be capable of believing that a monopoly exists.

And, uh... see, here's the problem with your argument, and clearly why you found it necessary to play Mr. Dictionary... You don't actually have a valid one.

"And tbh the majority of UO players enjoy the pvp aspect of the game, they just wont be found on EA shards because of the horrid way EA has updated/patched/nerfed/expantioned the game."

Yeah... dream on there. Dream on. At best the "free shards" have a small percentage of the UO population. *waves finger in the air* Go find an argument that's actually valid and that hasn't been beaten to death with a wooden stick.

19. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

You realise of course that this thing will go exactly where it's already been determined it will go by the developers and this thread is nothing but sabre rattling?

Lord Frodo, Mirt and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  20. Phangs_of_Phage

The top 3 AOS freeshards have over 500 people on at off hours and over 900 people online during primetime each. And those are just the top 3 North American ones. I'm not sure the status/existance of any Euro ones but dont rule that possibility out.

21. puni666

puni666 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Since when was 5 stats such a big fuss now that we have reforged items that increase our stats beyond anything ANY artifact has ever increase our stats before? It's hardly noticeable in the current item system..

22. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

But Mom.... I like to rattle my saber! Makes me feel tough!

23. RaDian FlGith

Okay, look, you're clearly going to presume you're correct about every assertion you're making, even when they're silly assertions, so go right ahead and continue to believe them.

I guarantee you though, if these freeshards were actually hosting more active players than the actual UO servers, EA would have already stomped them out of existence. But hey... you must be right.

24. MagicStar

MagicStar Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

All this talk about fel and tram rewards got me thinking
    Why not add a dungeoun or 2 in fel that only reds can enter?
    Or better yet just make em red friendly meaning nothing attacks them there or theres some kind of bonus for them
    Design it in a way that perhaps blues can try and fight em but have a hell of a time
    Maybe a town like buccs or a new one where if a blue attacks a red the red gets to call guards but red on red fights is fair game
    I understand the need for reds to have the limitations/punishments they have and i like it that way(just hated stat loss way back)
    But being red is not cheating its a valid and needed playstyle
    What im not seeing is any bonus/incentive to go red and there should be somewhere
    If it where me id give them a whole facet where they are prefered and have incentives to go in each area
    Tram
    Fel (common fought over area)
    And red land (im not good at making up names)

Thing is reds should be allowed in tram but not able to attack anyone and follow the rules we have
    Anyone can enter fel and its free for all
    Blues can enter red land but will be at a bigger disadvantage against reds

Tram has no red healers
    Red land has no blue healers
    You bring friends or walk home as a ghost
    Fel has both as always
    I dunno if my ideas are very good but i know reds need some love
    When have you ever seen reds get anything?
    I forget also is khaldun still anti red?
    I remember there was serious disadvantages to being red in there

25. Phangs_of_Phage

Have you ever been to them?

26. RaDian FlGith

So you're basing your evidence on your ability to count the number of people in the game.

Good job.

A cursory search of the internet reveals that your information is, how shall I say, "False?"

Again, your point is moot. There is definitely not a bigger fanbase playing UO on free shards, because, again, if there were, do you really think EA would just sit back and let them continue to exist? Second, your argument is that there's a bigger fanbase of Felucca outside of UO -- which has absolutely nothing to do with the live servers for which things are being developed. If your argument is that there are "better Fel rules elsewhere," well... there's a reason they're on freeservers, and not in UO.

At any rate, to keep this thread from being further derailed by silliness, this is my last post on the subject. We'll just have to agree to disagree. *shrugs*

27. THP

THP Stratics Legend

Errrrr the Devs would not even consider making the new scrolls a felluca only drop...if they did then they really are DUMB...

28. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

why not? all the other stat scrolls drop in fell, I love consistency

29. Phangs_of_Phage

You really have no idea about this so I dont know why you try to argue. When you login it tells you how many users are online

30. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I do believe currently by the Eula or whatever it is ea can't do anything about the free shards as long as they don't edit the core system and attempt to sell it as a new game..but I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I don't venture into tram often..unless its buy items the trammies farm for me so I agree

32. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

EA can do whatever it wants about the free shards. Technically, they are using EA's IP without paying for it and are (potentially) stealing customers from EA. Should EA decide to take any action against such shards, the free shards would lose.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  33. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Well... You know if they ever did anything I would be shocked. But happy in a way.

34. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

have u ever been on or ran one it is NOT ea's "ip" it is a completely re scripted game minus the art and no they cannot it's the reason they don't..read the small print I'm not flaming just educating..and it does in fact hurt their playerbase in sure all free shards together have close to 10,000 people in total if not more thats quite a bit of revenue close to 2 mil a year..

35. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

The art and the client is their IP. The free shards are using their assets, thats all it takes.

EA likely hasn't gone after the free shards because of the money it would cost to have one of their corporate lawyers send out cease and desist orders.

36. Phangs_of_Phage

You can download the client without agreeing to any agreement so they cant get you for using the artwork

37. RaDian FlGith

So... the game client that they use was developed by who again? Whose artwork is a majority of the game still based on? Changing the map, tossing in a few new pieces of art, and engineering server-side code for it to talk to does not an original game make. Now, if the argument that completely original UO-style games with no original UO maps are being played with say the [name redacted] client, then that's a different story.

But anyone using a UO client to log into a freeshard is, indeed, both violating the end-user license agreement, copyright law, and very likely the DCMA. It's whether or not EA chooses to do anything about it.

As for 10,000 players, looking at a list of freeshards out there, I'd be surprised if they could cough up 10,000 unique users among them. However, like you say, that does indeed affect the playerbase. Especially when most estimates (no one but EA/Mythic knows for sure) is a current playerbase that might top at 50,000 (and that might actually be stretching it).

38. RaDian FlGith

Um... you can download the client all day long. The moment you install it, you have to agree to the EULA.

And no... the availability of the artwork via the internet doesn't make it public domain.

Lord Frodo and Ludes like this.
  39. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Really? A certain site I won't name has over 140 thousand members why? Because over 135 thousand of them just wanna look at the site..good point

40. RaDian FlGith

I've got to be honest... I find it severely difficult to believe that there are 140,000 people at all interested in UO freeshards. Are these 140 thousand members active posters on this site, or is that an account count listed for a freeserver? I would be suspect of a freeserver that claims 140,000 accounts that remains free as well... but mostly for technical reasons. I mean, i guess anything's possible, but... 140,000 people would be a huge chunk of everyone who has actively subscribed to UO over the past 15 years. That's a lot more "permanent" interest than I suspect really exists.

And if there's 140,000 players on a freeshard, it really brings to question why EA has not yet done anything about it.

But I have to say, I'm very confused, since you're the one who originally cited a figure of approximately 10,000 people. The claim has grown significantly now.

41. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Biggest one I know of is about 3000 players..

42. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I never said 140k people play I 140k registered on their site which I would gladly give in Pm but I'm sure you already know..I did say 10,000 because just from top 10 there seems to be close to 10k users that are active nm the 500 that are out there with 50 or so ppl there is a lot am in sure some actually pay to play OSI servers but the majority most likely do not..

43. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

44. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Since we are so far off topic that all that's left to be said is about illegal free-shards, it's time to close this one.

RaDian FlGith and Lord Frodo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.