1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

So how bout them sports (OT).

Discussion in 'UO Oceania' started by Petrify, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Petrify

Petrify Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Sonny Bill then this...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25850508-23214,00.html

2. Petrify

Petrify Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Inglis now thinking of switching when his contract expires.

3. Held

Held Guest

*tumbleweed*

4. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Pet, I dont think anyone cares, this is a forum for an online game, the last thing that people would use this for would be the recent changes in sporting. The only reason you made this thread was to get a bite out of elwood, and well, its been 3 days now and nothing, so i dont think it worked.

5. Petrify

Petrify Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Actually, it was Sneaky who I was addressing this to. He has nothing to say about the AFL because he knows the NRL is dying, so I didn't really expect him to reply.

6. Paradox_

Paradox_ Guest

Too busy SCRUBBING away.

7. Katlene

Katlene Guest

scrubbing is better then being a scrub...

8. Paradox_

Paradox_ Guest

Witty comeback.

9. Sneaky Que

Sneaky Que Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

How funny is this! What a cheap publicity stunt by the AFL. Can't really blame them though. They have a new team that is MAJORLY struggling for support, hardly anyone on the GC (or QLD in general) gives a rats about AFL or this new team.

So what does the AFL do? They get something the people of the GC do care about, NRL, to get their publicity. More than anything it is an addmission of inferiority by the AFL.

They didn't sign Hunt because he is a good AFL player, they signed him for the publicity that only a rugby league star can provide. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on to be one of the best AFL players ever.

Someone better tell Karmichael and his team (who trained this week by playing AFL) that he still playing the toughest sport of all, because they certainly looked like they were trying to play Aussie rules last night when they got absolutly obliterated by the Green Machine...

What a great signing by the AFL! :danceb:

I think this says it best...

[​IMG]

10. Petrify

Petrify Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah that might be because of their poor on field performance, oh thats right they don't actually join the competition until 2011.

Your logic is so stupid. The fact that AFL clubs can steal players off of the NRL is "an admission of inferiority." You would think that, if the NRL is a better game than the AFL, that NRL players wouldn't want to switch codes.

Let me clear up a few things for you:

1. The AFL had nothing to do with the signing of Hunt - it was all to do with GC.
    2. The two reasons why GC wanted to poach him were because of publicity and the fact that he is an athletic freak.
    3. I don't care how your team went in the NRL.
    4. Hunt has only played roughly 7-8 games of AFL as a junior. The GC will have a mountainous task in trying to improve his foot skills.

11. Sneaky Que

Stratics Veteran

While that is a factor no doubt, it is more because QLD is dominated by rugby league. More specifically, the people of the GC are more concerned with how their Titans are going than any future club from the Melbourne competition.

It was widely known for a long time that Hunt was looking to leave the NRL to play rugby, which he is still doing next year. So in fact the AFL is really taking him off Union, who is taking him from League.

If my logic is so stupid, then why do you agree with me?

Oh, really? Thats not what I heard...

Sure sounds like the AFL got involved to me, at the highest levels no less.

The point wasn't how well my team played (although we did play very well), it was how BADLY Brisbane (Hunt included) played, but you know that and are just deflecting. I don't think I need to tell you that 56-0 is a massive, MASSIVE defeat. It was the Bronco's biggest loss EVER.

After watchng him on Saturday night, I think I might have to agree with you on that one! Like I said, they didn't sign him because he is a good AFL player (that is unknown at this time), the signed him for the publicity that only a league player can provide in QLD.

12. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Guest

13. Petrify

Petrify Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

... That would be why they are promoting it? The fact of the matter is GC will last at least 10+ years because of the support the AFL can give. Unlike the NRL the AFL is not on its knees financially.

Nope, he got poached from the NRL, no matter which way you try and twist it.

You got this article off the Brisbane Times. Demetriou had absolutely no influence on the decision - in the end it all came down to what the GC wanted to do.

I dont care. How Brisbane played and Hunt played in the NRL has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to Hunt swapping codes.

They signed him because he was an elite athlete and because he would bring a tonne of publicity. Its succeeded too hasn't it? We are talking about it right now.

14. Sneaky Que

Stratics Veteran

Just like the NRL's support that has ensured the Melbourne Storm has BEEN a success for 10+ years already? The NRL is far from on it's knees, in fact it has financial backing that the AFL could only dream of. Back on topic, lets not forget the Gold Coast Titans, who have been very successful on their own.

He WANTS to leave, and did for a long time before the AFL came knocking.

You're wrong kid. The following is from the Melbourne Herald Sun, just for you...

You may not care, thats fine, but it does matter...

The ONLY reason why it succeeded is BECAUSE he is a rugby league star. Do you get it yet? The AFL needs the NRL and controversy to try and promote it's new club because it is strugling so badly to gain attention. It was a desprate move by the AFL.

15. Petrify

Petrify Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Are you serious? Honestly I don't know exactly how stupid you are but you are giving me a pretty good idea. The AFL's membership numbers, crowd numbers, sponsorship numbers and most recent T.V deals all point towards it being a behemoth compared to the NRL.

Also the Brisbane Lions have been around for longer than the Storm and more successful on field in comparison. Not to mention the Sydney Swans have been in Sydney since 1982. Could you please tell me how many NRL players there are from Melbourne actually playing for the Storm right now? Better yet, how many in total since they were formed?

If you knew how to read you would understand that the AFL will be paying him to perform promotional roles - not to actually play. Also I said Demetriou had absolutely no influence on the decision. I stand by that.

I laugh at how you pulled an article off of a League forum and tried to use it as evidence.

Of course the reason it gained publicity is because he is a league player. Its funny how you try and talk about how bad he is by quoting something off league unlimited when it suits you... but then you choose to call him a "star" shortly after? Where is your consistency?

The point you need to realise is that the AFL had no major influence in the decision, like I said it came down to what the GC wanted to do and ultimately whether or not Guy Mckenna wanted him on GC17's list. I fail to see how the AFL is struggling to gain attention when no major marketing campaigns have been released as of yet.

16. Mijac_Chmon

Mijac_Chmon Guest

Do you post over at LU, Sneaky?

Oh, btw, [email protected], [email protected]

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!