1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

So how do you guys build bosses?

Discussion in 'UO Atlantic' started by Meatbread, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Meatbread

Meatbread Journeyman

Dec 19, 2011
    I love harping on you guys about the specifics of encounter design under "WTF 400 PEOPLE I CAN'T MOVE" circumstances, but it occurs to me that I don't really know what goes into it.

Do you start with an existing creature as a base and then pump up the stats, or do you build something from scratch? How difficult is to graft additional powers onto something? Are there any powers you wish an event monster could use, but which can't be added for some reason?

If you can talk about this, what's the UI overhead like? What I mean is, if you wanted to take a Dark Father and give it Serrado's poison AOE effect, would you just be checking off a box, or would this be an involved process?

Just curious.
  2. EMTiberies

EMTiberies Journeyman

Nov 14, 2011
    I honestly do not know what I am or am not allowed to tell you about the mechanics of all this stuff, so it's safest to say little or nothing. This is frustrating for me because as a player I also like seeing behind the curtain. For example have you ever noticed that those "Mysterious Talismans," most EMs these days seem to like to paint black so they are less-viewable, whereas I leave mine out in the open? That's because I like to catch glimpses behind the curtain and I figure some of the public has to be like me.
  3. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Feb 12, 2005
    I have honestly never noticed the Mysterious Talisman until your chars hit. I thought that was your sig ;)

I think almost everyone wants to see behind the curtain, until you look behind it to see some goofball pulling levers and twisting buttons. Sometimes the mystery is way better than what the reality is. Think I will stick to the mystery :D
    Alexander of ATL. likes this.
  4. Alexander of ATL.

Alexander of ATL. Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
    Stratics Veteran

Jun 20, 2010
    Well Said... and true... once you know... no more mystery and no more enjoyment because you already know how its done so the excitement isnt there anymore.