1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

So I guess we should all get used to these lag spikes because it's the new normal

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Kojak, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

kinda shi**y

mcnubbins and kulder like this.
  2. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Lag spikes have been part and parcel of anything done on the 'net since... well, pretty much since forever. Deal with it.

3. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Because, you know, there's no difference between acceptable levels of lag spikes and unacceptable leves, right, Derek?

4. mcnubbins

mcnubbins Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

What I enjoy are the lag spikes that last for minutes at a time, those are my favorite.

5. Irulia Darkaith

It's EA's un-announced expansion, "UO:Nostalgia the 1st Age"...yes that's right it takes it's us back to a time when lag, reverts, dupes and cheating were part of every day playing in UO (not that you could play for a full day cause the servers never stayed up that long). If you run over to their EA store you can even get the Collector's Edition which comes with a vintage 56K baud modem. :eek:

6. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

i thought it was a 14.4...

7. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

First modem I played UO on was a 33.6 on a borrowed notebook since my monster 486 couldn't play UO due to a lack of video card... it only had 256 color VGA. Got SO CLOSE though. Windows 95 connecting through Trumpet Winsock via a local BBS ISP that was $15 or so a month for "unlimited" time... caveat being you got booted after 4 hours and had to dial back in.

8. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

By the way, I'm not entirely sure it's EA's fault for the lag - I'm getting similar lag spikes on Facebook, and I've tried using UOTrace to do traceroutes to some EA and non-EA places, and many of them are going screwy somewhere on Alter.net, and spiraling into an unknown 0.0.0.0 abyss.

9. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Oh, and if you want real nostalgia for dialup... Try playing UO on a Satellite internet connection, with its built in 350ms lag just between you, the satellite and the ground station - EACH WAY.....

I've had guildmates make that mistake, due to deceptive marketing. I avoided it simply by knowing beforehand the altitude of communication satellites and the speed of light.....

10. Irulia Darkaith

I really, really don't, other than the "comforting" sound of the successful connection of a modem, I don't miss the experience one bit. I also don't miss the original "MMORPG" (Neverwinter Nights - the old old one that would allow 100 people in game at a time - or was it a 1000?). Back then it was exclusive to AoL but I couldn't get an unlimited online plan so I would get monthly bills of $300-400 for playing that game. Makes the $30-40 I spend now seem quite the bargain.

Of course you did...why doesn't that surprise me :D