1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

So where and how should uo advertise

Discussion in 'UHall' started by ken01, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ken01

ken01 Guest

I know ea seems to feel spending the big bucks for game magazine ads isnt worth it for uo so what should they do. For one the game mags might not be right most not all but most of the people ive been meeting in uo are in 30s to fiftys I am near 50 myself. so aarp maybe ? only half kidding there . Ea does sell a ton of other games . So with what you can cram stuff on a cd or dvd why not put uo and some of the other smaller products on each copy of madden football or whatever they sell lots of. Yea a lot of sports nuts dont care for the fantasy type stuff but if you got even a few percent of them it would be a big boost. And even if bubba the jock wannabe doesnt want to try it he might think of his nerdy cousin nephew or whatever egbert and say here eggy try this you elf lovin dweeb. Given the cds and dvds i get in the mail or in half my mags its gotta be a cheap way to try for new customers .

2. Gilthas0130

Gilthas0130 Guest

lol ,good point.
    anyways maybe tv or game mags.
    don't think it will help tho ...
    man thats funny.

3. Dean478

Dean478 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Take a look at this screenshot (Guild Wars):

http://www.mmoginfo.com/imagenes/foto_guild_wars.jpg

Now look at this one (UO: KR):

http://www.uoherald.com/kingdomreborn/images/SS_CA/UOKR_SS08.jpg

That's why UO cannot advertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't advertise something by what you see on shape. But I'll bet the rest of my lunch that Guild Wars doesn't have half the substance Ultima Online does.

The solution here? A sequal. Take the original gameplay mechanic of Ultima (the virtual world before the stupid Tram/Fel, elves, artefacts, item properties and other stupid additions) add a modern interface, implement it through a modern engine and you'e got your game.

Kingdom Reborn is on the right track. It's trying to modernise a very old engine. It's done a great job. But you can't made gold out of straw no matter how hard you try.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Advertising is pointless unless there is something to advertise. UO needs compelling new content to try and lure back the players it has lost. Right now, re-subscriptions are the market UO should be targeting since those are the easiest to reclaim.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Advertising is pointless unless there is something to advertise. UO needs compelling new content to try and lure back the players it has lost. Right now, re-subscriptions are the market UO should be targeting since those are the easiest to reclaim.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What he said.

The ONLY place for UO to advertise would be with a new ultima game. How likely is that to happen?

6. Dean478

Dean478 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

they could attract new players through interviews. Represent deep gameplay with deep advertising. Pictures are hardly deep.

Either way veterans will be reluctant to come back. I won't be happy till they finish Ultima Online 2 or bring back things the way they were before Age of Shadows.

7. Sneaky Que

Sneaky Que Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Take a look at this screenshot (Guild Wars):

http://www.mmoginfo.com/imagenes/foto_guild_wars.jpg

Now look at this one (UO: KR):

http://www.uoherald.com/kingdomreborn/images/SS_CA/UOKR_SS08.jpg

That's why UO cannot advertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, KR &gt; Guild Wars.

You actually think that anorexic looking 3D char and an extremely GOOFY looking 'dragon?' looks better than KR? Oh well...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/thozzel1/RainGateGrassBMGKR.jpg
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/thozzel1/HouseTeleKR.jpg
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/thozzel1/ChessBoardNujelmKR.jpg
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/thozzel1/MonotorShorelineKR.jpg
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/thozzel1/BridgeoftheDevideKR.jpg

Just some of the first screen shots I took, about a month or so after KR's release.

Please note I'm not bashing GW (the game) because I don't know enough about it, I just don't like the look of it from that screen shot. Sadly it reminds me way to much of WoW.

Even 2D, which doesn't look as 'flash' as KR (I still like 2D more though) looks better than GW, to me anyway, I'm extremely biased when it comes to UO though [​IMG]

8. ken01

ken01 Guest

The problem is those of us left and those wholeft but say they will only come back IF. do not agree on what that If is. We have tose who do not pvp and do not care about pvp as long as it doesnt negatively effect us which includes me. And then there are the people for who pvp is everything and they for most part want to really revert back to days where they could attack anyone they want this group is extremely vocal as are the few i dont want any area to make me pvp crowd. From what I see most of the other onlines restrict nonconsent pvp even more than uo so Id say in all the onlines the trammies are basically the majority.Frankly I like the game now and havent nearly explore all of it the main reason i would like some changes is to bring in more who dont. But I would say 99.9 percent of people have never seen uo and even 90 percent of those who play games . Even with its warts and graphics a good many would like it remember it is a huge world and game and for those who havent played it it is all new content. Heck half the people I see comeing back from a few years off complain there is so much new they are lost.

9. The fact of the matter is, for UO to stand a chance in the market, it has to at least look at good as the main competitors. WoW, GW and others spring to mind; they all look infinitely better than UO. People like pretty graphics. Many wouldn't consider giving UO a chance purely because of the way it looks. Sad, but it's a fact.

The only viable way of EA gaining a large number of subscriptions for UO is, as you've alluded to, releasing a sequel or completely scrapping the isometric view and putting the game into full 3D.

If KR was an attempt at getting new players, it failed. It was always destined to. The existing playerbase, or the former playerbase who quit, weren't really calling for a new client; they were calling for fundamental gameplay changes that weren't met in favour of KR. This was a mistake. We now have a broken game and another 3D client situation. Great. Non-players were never going to be attracted to play it based on graphics alone, which I've covered. Those that did would promptly be put off it anyway because the client is cumbersome and comes across as half finished, as opposed to sleek and slick alternatives that additionally render in full 3D such as the GW or WoW clients.

As JC said, I think EA should be targeting former subscribers, because that's really the only avenue left to go down with what we have currently. In doing so, you'd also appease the current playerbase too, to a degree, and maybe maintain better retention rates.

How to do this? Well, as much as people hate hearing it because they know it's the truth and frankly I think they'd be scared to see it succeed because it'd show solidly many people's displeasure with the direction the game has headed in, a shard featuring a ruleset of old is one method. This may attract older players and maybe even newer players curious about how things were.

The other alternative is fixing what we have currently and making improvements to many areas across the board. Lots of people need some love right now: PvPers, Factioneers, Treasure Hunters, Fishers, Monster Hunters generally, Crafters, people anticipating the latest storyline quests etc. Some systems just need an overhaul and right now, absolutely nothing is happening and if it is, it's happening very slowly as always. Changing tiny aspects once every half-year is going to make things very painful; EA really need to start evaluating this and quickly.

Oh and Sneaky Que, don't even attempt to even try and say KR looks better than GW or WoW because it doesn't. It isn't up for debate. End of. You're in a very, very small minority if you believe this, and you're simply wrong. You can't even compare them properly; one is 2D and the others are full 3D. They are leagues apart by pure nature of the technologies used. People prefer cutting edge, intense 3D graphics to immerse them in the game. This is why virtually all highly successful games today are rendered in 3D. This is why people spend exorbitant amounts of money on expensive hardware like Quad Core CPUs, high-end GPUs in SLi or CrossFire configurations, DDR3 RAM sticks and motherboards that support said RAM running at speeds of up to 1600MHz to run the latest games like Crysis on full settings. People like 3D. The majority like 3D.

10. ken01

ken01 Guest

I am a pure trammy but I would love to see a pre tramm shard set up just because it would (hopefully ) pull some of the very repetitive bickering from these boards. I think it would be pretty succesful at least at first but I doubt many non pvp types would play and like felucca the pkillers would in the end be reduced to constant rekilling of each other I dont know that it would last. even the pvp and pkilller types arent all in agreement there are those who want basically few items just gm armor and weps. And those who just want to be able to be free to attack who they wish but still love or need all those shiny items. Those succesful at Pvp now because they are uber Itemed up prob would be pissed and maybe shocked if they found that man on man with plain gear they stank.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

The problem is those of us left and those wholeft but say they will only come back IF. do not agree on what that If is. We have tose who do not pvp and do not care about pvp as long as it doesnt negatively effect us which includes me. And then there are the people for who pvp is everything and they for most part want to really revert back to days where they could attack anyone they want this group is extremely vocal as are the few i dont want any area to make me pvp crowd. From what I see most of the other onlines restrict nonconsent pvp even more than uo so Id say in all the onlines the trammies are basically the majority.Frankly I like the game now and havent nearly explore all of it the main reason i would like some changes is to bring in more who dont. But I would say 99.9 percent of people have never seen uo and even 90 percent of those who play games . Even with its warts and graphics a good many would like it remember it is a huge world and game and for those who havent played it it is all new content. Heck half the people I see comeing back from a few years off complain there is so much new they are lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really cant understand what you wrote here but the "majority of us PvPers" I like to call my self a vet does not want uo just as attack anyone kind of game its just not all about that . Although it brings A element of of danger what we miss most about those days is the community we had. Everyone needed someone for something.

Items were easy you could play in npc-crafted-ruin-inv/vanq armor/weaps, Armor also had its uses you could fight naked with low AR or get like 34 AR with leather you could med in that, anything up was non med and each tier higher up the chain studded,chain,plate exc exc. gave you more AR yes Plate armor was useful and widely used at one time. there were well known player towns where siege as far as I know keeps to the roots of UO where players would interact and player justice meant/means something. There was a faction system that although bugged it worked. players I have known throughout the years that started uo with me that have quit most of them play free servers with pre AOS no tram set system.

Old code is out there and what EA should do is find the most populated Pre aos FEL rule free server and buy it or hire on the guys that run it to create it and support it full time even let them telecommute. [​IMG]

*Edit* I was just at a friends place the other night and he was playing one of these and there were more people there then what I have seen on pacific in years.

12. ken01

ken01 Guest

I did play back then And I hope I dont post in a way that seems a troll because all play styles are valid. But I have seen a lot post the part about community and everyone needing something from someone and I just do not see it. Anyone had enough slots to make or afford what equipment they needed the only reason we needed others was for defence. Frankly I quit after getting tired of being attacked usually by a group every time I left brit. And when I did stay in brit mostly playing a smith and miner I would meet people talk to them and be told we will help you travel and find a house spot . Being gullible (aka a sucker ) I would usually leave with them only to be attacked and killed as soon as we got any distance from town. What I found in those first few months was dont trust anyone not a community as I keep seeing people talk about. I hope my grammer and spelling are a little better in this one .I usually post when tired and too groggy to play . Not that I write that well even when awake . And again your play style is just as valid as mine so no insults meant.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Why would EA spend resources advertising UO. The return on advertising Uo would be far less then other games. EA will spend their advertising on games that have boxes to sell. Keep in mind they have Warhammer coming out soon, which game do you think they would rather have gamers try? My understanding is that a majority of the player-base is now based in the asian market, clearly that is would be the area where they would try to advertise UO, if at all.

14. Dean478

Dean478 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

I did play back then And I hope I dont post in a way that seems a troll because all play styles are valid. But I have seen a lot post the part about community and everyone needing something from someone and I just do not see it. Anyone had enough slots to make or afford what equipment they needed the only reason we needed others was for defence. Frankly I quit after getting tired of being attacked usually by a group every time I left brit. And when I did stay in brit mostly playing a smith and miner I would meet people talk to them and be told we will help you travel and find a house spot . Being gullible (aka a sucker ) I would usually leave with them only to be attacked and killed as soon as we got any distance from town. What I found in those first few months was dont trust anyone not a community as I keep seeing people talk about. I hope my grammer and spelling are a little better in this one .I usually post when tired and too groggy to play . Not that I write that well even when awake . And again your play style is just as valid as mine so no insults meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the very opposite end of hte spectrum. There was this and the complete opposite in existance.

It started to improve, but this is what happens when you can't comletely eliminate anonymity.

Then someone put monkies in charge of UO and we got Renaissance. Which got rid of the good and bad end of that mentioned spectrum and replaced it with item hungry/virtual real estate players that belonged in Second Life.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

It's all a matter of first opinions,

When you have a magazine or even a banner ad in the internet, the first thing a company can use to hook you is the graphics. No one with a new computer would want to play a game that looks and plays the same now as it did in 1997.

The next form of advertising, probably the best is word of mouth. I don't know about you, but at my work on a team of about 15 people, 7 people play wow. None of them have even heard of UO. In a company of 120 people, we have yet to find someone who has heard of UO other then my self.

I guess my point is, how likely is it that someone will find the "depth" of UO, esp. when EA can't advertise correctly.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

lol

Take a look at this . Same view of UO done 1000x better.

Also,

Guild Wars was not built to be a virtual house simulator that UO is. GW was more of a co-op type game where you do missions and pvp with friends,

17. Dean478

Dean478 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

I guess my point is, how likely is it that someone will find the "depth" of UO, esp. when EA can't advertise correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the whole point of my post... I said they need to get more involved. Interviews, articles etc are the best ways to express gameplay. UO offers a unique experience compared to other games. It also offers a unique perspective (isometric) compared to EVERY other RPG these days (third-person).

People need to decide what audience they want. Mainstream? Good luck. A niche? Well the niche is what has kept this game alive for 10 years. But this niche is also finding it's game is evolving too much.

The only logical step here is a sequel.

18. acutally, I was just talking with a new UO player tonight. She said that she found out about UO about 9 months ago. She was bored and googled "online games" or something like that...
    she's been playing for 9 months now...

19. Kaj

Kaj Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

lol ,good point.
    anyways maybe tv or game mags.
    don't think it will help tho ...
    man thats funny.

[/ QUOTE ]
    To do a proper advertising run, with TV and all, you need millions. As it is UO has maybe 100k paying accounts, which means a few million per year in revenues. It would make no sense for EA to invest millions into a game that most likely will not give them back those millions and then some.
    A big ad in a game magazine costs anywhere from €2k to €100k. If you spend 50k, you'd want at least 1k new paying customers. Say the magazine has 200k readers. It's not very likely 1 in 200 will sign up and continue playing for at least 6 months.
    Anyway I can deduce that pretty much every alternative is very high cost and relatively low profit.

I did marketing for another big online game for about 1.5 years and found that it's not as easy as it seems. Just dropping a million on some TV and magazine ads will not get UO a lot of new players.

20. 5% Luck

5% Luck Guest

Im not sure how it works but If ya can get UO in to a firefox stumble upon with good rating it will sell its self

21. Babble

Babble Guest

Actually I expected KR to look similar to that.

22. Babble

Babble Guest

And the only way uo can advertise at the moment would be with internet banners. If many free to play games can afford it ea should too.

23. They need to get the glaring problems fixed first. It seemed so stupid to bring folks in with KR when the released it. I bet they lost tons of potential players with that and when they first brought out AoS.

24. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't know anything about game advertising but I do know what hooked me into UO all those years ago: A free UO CD with a graphics card.

I had it kicking around for weeks when, in a bored moment, I installed it. Even then the graphics were 'retro' (to be kind) but it took me a few hours to get past that, be totally immersed and I've never looked back.

25. MysticSim

MysticSim Guest

heres a good start for their advertising....

Stick the product into a damn box and get it on the shelves!!

Woah, wait, an idea like that may just be why everyone is so hot on WOW or guildwars or whatever. Even i can go to the EB games and see whats on the shelf.... whats there? all the above and a lone copy of Samurai Empire UO. OMG the newest game from 4 years ago!! yeah... no thanks!!

26. ken01

ken01 Guest

Ea does sell tons of bigger games and with the amount of data that a cd or dvd can hold put a copy with 30 days free trial in some of those boxes along with a small glossy fold over and see if anything happens. If every gamae mag I buy has cd with a bunch of new games to try it cant be 2 expensive.