1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

So.....

Discussion in 'UHall' started by MudFace, Feb 22, 2009.

1. MudFace

MudFace Guest

With all these new brit bank designs one has to ask will Luna finally now fall? or burn? makes no difference *shrugs* I mean im sure peeps will flock to the new brit bank once its put up but then what? After a bit it im sure it will be empty again so.. Maybe a certain DEV with explosive capabilities *wink* wink* can make something happen to Luna so we can put these new awsome banks to good use =)

2. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

uhmm... maybe we could be given the opportunity to save Luna

much the same as we saved Magencia :D

3. NewThunder

NewThunder Guest

Luna is just a better place for doing trades. I think more should be done to make Luna an even greater trading area.

4. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I have no idea what you're talking about. I saved Magincia.
    I have bits and pieces of it in my rooftop garden and in various chests inside my house. :p

5. MudFace

MudFace Guest

Traitor! *slap*

6. Lord Sir Scott

Lord Sir Scott Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

i will vote with a short visiting period and then back to luna...

7. jelinidas

jelinidas Guest

Luna is like Walmart. People love to hate it yet go there daily.
    Luna is quick and easy. Everything within a screen or two. I fear it is here to stay.

8. Bara

Bara Guest

Lol Blacksun, that made me laugh.

When you think about it, Luna is wierd. It really doesn't fit the rest of UO at all. All the other cities are expansive and realistic, whereas luna is just this clusterf.. fudge of all these npc's crammed onto the same screen.

Besides.. Isn't Trinsic the city of Paladins? Huh? ;)

9. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Remember, by the lore from which Umbra & Luna were introduced, the castaways that arrived in Malas found an uninhabited place with two ancient, deserted, cities.

Both Umbra and Luna were as they are now, just deserted, when the castaways arrived. Those castaways are the ancestors of the NPCs of Malas.

Luna is a reinhabited ruin, more more so than Umbra. The society on it, much like the peoples of Ilshenar that were driven out by the Meer & Juka, bear little resemblence to the Britannian-Era peoples and culture of Sosaria (Felucca & Trammel). Most likely, it was meant as a fortress to fend off their Umbran neighbors, who apparently had nearly won by the point that whatever doomsday scenario befell the facet and extinguished both civilizations.

10. I miss Magincia. I wish the devs would put it back.

11. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I wish we could put it back.... gathering resources, building all the structures, crafting all the necessary items

12. I have a GM carpenter...I would be glad to help!

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I'd be glad to help too! I wonder if they'll let me build a small cottage within Magincia...heh

Since I started playing 11 years ago, I had always thought that they would 1 day make the uninhabited houses in town available for players...esp in Britain.

Just remembered something - "Ado, when I earn enough money, we don't have to live in NPC houses anymore".

14. christy1221

christy1221 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I miss it too. :sad4:

I'd be happy to help build it back the way it was. :)

15. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I will never understand this irrational hatred of Luna.

I remember the olden days, when everyone had an irrational hatred of WBB, generally for the very same reasons that people hate Luna today.

I guess whenever there is someplace popular and convenient that people congregate at to trade and socialize, people will irrationally hate it and want it destroyed.

16. Bara

Bara Guest

I do understand what you're saying. But I can only speak for myself when I say that my hatred of Luna is rational. I don't hate it because people congregate there. I just hate that it's not a city, it's simply a building that has a ton of npc's gathered in it. That's it really. I would rather our major city be a.... well, city. You know?

If there was a hyper convenient dungeon, where people could go in and spawn the exact monster(s) that they wanted to spawn; I would hate that too. Sure, it would be convenient, but it simply wouldn't fit the rest of the game. It would diminish the rest.

That's why I think it's just a bad idea. It's a small building that is strictly better than any of ultimas other cities.

17. Mistura

Mistura Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Luna is a nightmare on Europa at the moment. Way too crowded at peak times..

So much spam :*(

18. Lucy of Kenton

Lucy of Kenton Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

yeah come to europa, soon as brit is safe again we will be back there.

19. ME TOO! I remember that one of my Guildmates, CouDrac, basically moved into one of the rooms above an NPC shop in Trinsic. He found a little nook that you could stick a bag in that you could not see. He piled all kinds of crap in that bag...and no one else ever found it. Then one day, decay was turned on, and of course, it was gone.

But around that same time, we were wondering if they would ever just lock those doors, and the trunks in the rooms or houses, and start renting them to players.

That would have been a great idea. Imagine having an apartment in Britain...

This game has so much unrealized potential.

20. Bara

Bara Guest

It would work well. Allow conveniant vendors (like around luna), without looking like a stripmall. (especially if there was a hard cap of only a few, to prevent hordes of vendors at each local). It would just look like a bustling city.

If anything, it would breath life into these old cities, and I believe that with the new EM's in place and getting a feel for things, this could be a ripe time for such a change.

21. Kellgory

Kellgory Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The problem with Luna bank is that it's to small for some of the larger shards to do business (take a look at Atlantic, its like a bunch of sardines). At least at WBB you could have people selling items at one end and gating people to auctions, events, ect. at the other.

It would be nice if they had a mini-event for either the new Brit bank or for Magincia where people could contribute items (lumber, stone, plants, furniture, ect.) to help in the build/rebuild. Sort of like what they did in the Yew swamp leading up to ML.

22. I could see having shop space available in towns to be rented. Although I would not want the old cities to end up like Luna where all the player run shops look like flea malls.

Has anyone else here ever been to Orlando Fla? Luna = US 192 in Orlando, but with Disney's Convenience Store and Loan Shark pricing.

[​IMG]

23. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I think that the relative importance of the WBB vs. Luna bank vs. other locations will be determined shard-by-shard pursuant to each individual shard's culture.

Remember that Luna been the bank sitting center on some shards for some time now. It's just taken over on more shards due to Britain, as the capital city, being targeted for several attacks the last few years.

-Galen's player

24. Hemisphere

Hemisphere Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

Cogniac makes a good point - and it's the same with anything on which opinion is even slightly divided.

The real trouble is that Luna is just far too good, and the fact that it's actually lived in by some of the game's most hardcore players, means that it's never going to lose it's position as the leading trade town of UO.

Even if the entire city was destroyed (something I'd like to see happen), the player run "megamalls" would remain, and then people would just complain at how stupid the devs were to split the community, forcing people to recall back and forth between Luna and Britain every time they want to use a stable, or a bank, or whatever.

I'd like to think that a redesign of Britain bank would be enough to spark some interest in that area again, but I don't think anything less than the full-on destruction of Luna would bring back it's status as the player capital of UO, and that solution is not without it's own problems

25. Ravenspyre

Ravenspyre Guest

It's funny, Zento was being built for that same reason, but it never crossed the devs minds why people liked Luna, namely thanks to context menus, you could shop for anything you needed without moving.

26. Hemisphere

Hemisphere Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

I think what a lot of devs don't fully account for when developing new systems, is that UO is like an extremely delicate ecosystem. Make any part of the game even slightly more rewarding/convenient/scriptable than the rest of it, and that is the part that will be targeted by the playerbase.

Of course not many people use Zento, because it's an inferior clone of Luna, just like nobody (or hardly anybody, unless it's for roleplay or just for a laugh) fights "regular" monster spawn anymore, nobody makes standard armour, I presume hardly anybody does t-maps anymore, or locked dungeon chests, or any number of other perfectly good game systems, because some dev along the line wanted to design something new and cool, and didn't stop to think that it made huge swathes of existing gameplay utterly redundant.

27. wrekognize

wrekognize Guest

Luna was one of the very attractive changes I liked when I came back to UO. Having a large market place that is owned and ran by the community's players is very intriguing. Especially with the unique vendor set up UO provides. Brit bank could not offer this.