1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Some thoughts about how to keep our new young players

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by FrejaSP, Aug 8, 2013.

1. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Hi all

This are most meant to our red community and maybe faction community too.

Siege had got lots of new players the last months, also alot who did not join NEW2 and I had seen, we had got alot returning players too, both red and blue.
    We will soon see some of the young players go red too. They may still be weak and even when red, they may not deserve dry loot each time they die. Also faction will have new players, who risk to get a hard start.
    To make it for this young players, that be blue or red, they need to be able to get enough gold/resources to replace lost stuff, when they die.

I was thinking, if the older reds, could go easy on the hunting spots, used of young players for skill gain and resource gaining.

I'm not trying to tell anyone who to play and you may already have speaked about this in the guilds.

You may all feel you go easy on them, but maybe other reds already got them a few times same day.

I'm thinking about first levels of the dungeons and some overlands hunting spots.

With going easy, I mean, try to be sure they can make it back to their body if there is anything left for them and try not to loot them to heavy if they do not run upper gear.

I try to do my part with making suits in different levels of imbuing, they can pay but to be able to make the mana ones, I need someone to sell me relic to a fair price, so the suits not get to expensive.

If more do success hunting for resources and selling to the bazaar vendors, the crafters can make cheap suits, weapon and jevelry to help them.

Lets all help to keep this new life alive and still have fun from the playstyles we like, that be crafting, PvM, PvP or PK'ing.

This was only meant as some thought about how we all can help our new players to end up as old Siege players :)

Thanks for reading.

Tina Tink

#1 FrejaSP, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    kRUXCg7, Willard, ISPREDEM and 17 others like this.
  2. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Thank for the likes and for reading :)

3. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Good ideas! If any of our PK's return, we will definitely have this discussion.

Leaf likes this.
  4. Wolfman

Wolfman Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I do not think there needs to be a discussion: What you wear can be lost! Anyone with the right attitude to give the opposition some room to breathe just loots what he/she is going to use or needs to take away so the killed player cannot fight efficiently again right away (basically what was said in Freja's post). On the other hand there will be griefers who do not care if Siege looks like the desert it just rose from....so if you play on this shard you have to outlast those guys.....

ISPREDEM likes this.
  5. FrejaSP

I do believe, debating it in the guilds are a good idea, we do have very few griefers but a lot, who forget, they are not the only one raiding a hunting spot. Also some forget about sharing the fun, special when the blood rush goes in, when in a gank. It' also when in a gank, the looting easy get heavy as all grap something and may not have time to sort it.

I do not say, we never will have griefers, however, I believe there is something good in everyone and I rather speak to their good side, that tell them, they are losers and not wanted here but that's my way. Each guild have to choose their way to handle it.

6. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Freja, I have been pking some but do not target new. I caught a GIL member unwares in shame the other day and killed him, only took his mana ord and I actually called in help to res him and help him get his body because my temp at the time was not res capable. I have been telling any I kill in hunting spots that i will not kill them for another hour and will even do my best to keep others from hitting them if I am still in the area. Honestly I am mostly in shame, mostly lookign out for my guid mates, and usually mixing it up with SCUM who are pulling a modern day GC move in shame lol.

P.S. Panis Rahl from CAT(you know those guys that locked down terra kee mare spawn at shards opening) has returned and joined up with us in Arrr. He wanted to forgoe NEW membership even though I did intially let him know you still played and ran new. We are getting him up to speed after a 10 year hiatus.

7. FrejaSP

Tib, that's all I ask for, that all care for our new blood on the shard, no matter what guild they are in. Some joined NEW2, some joined old guilds and some made new guilds on the shard.
    I also know, even when only few reply to this post, you are all listing and keeping it in your mind, when you play the shard. That was what I wanted with this post as the debate is hard to do shard wide, it more belong inside the guilds.
    I was not asking to keep shame level 1 and other training/resource spot safe, only to care more about your victims there. A little RP and/or a little help to back to their body can make a mega diff in how a victim feel about getting killed.

8. Feanaro

Feanaro Journeyman

I killed and dry looted two blues at blighted grove last night. Never seen them before, and they put up a decent fight. Only reason I dry looted the gear is I can use it on my other account. -feanaro

9. Coke & Son

Coke & Son Adventurer

I started a new characters on Siege back in January. I never joined NEW2, but instead I started from scratch. I now own 4 Keeps, and 3 other home strategically placed around the shard. I have 7 fully developed characters, all with extra soul stones to be able to tweak their skills as needed. I have 50 million in the bank, as well as an inventory of all ingredients to make any gear I need. I have every craft skill possible, A tamer, a necro mage, a mystic mage, a stealth archer, a treasure hunter, a sampire...... you get the idea. So don't try and tell me that a new player needs any special consideration to get going on Siege. I died plenty and lost plenty when starting.... but I just pulled myself up by the bootstraps and continued on. Ya'll must be democrats :)

Marquis de Sade 209 and Feanaro like this.
  10. FrejaSP

People are different, some do better than others.
    As I said, it's only some thought. I'm not telling anyone how to play. :)

11. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I am not democrat sir! Hush your mouth! That's just offensive;).

Gerbiler and Marquis de Sade 209 like this.
  12. dupapa

dupapa Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Clearly you been living uo 24/7 since jan then.

Some people have only an hour to play a day maybe less.

For them its not so easy.

Just saying...

(Edit)also i would think that each death to a player with limited time is also felt alot harder.

(Edit edit) would be intresting to know know how many hours a day you have invested and if you used mythic tokens... the rot gains alone over those chars are considerable

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Barania and Leaf like this.
  13. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

It's really quite simple. With the new changes to home ownership, more people will be migrating over to see what we are all about. A little kindness and respect (maybe killing them but offering some assistance afterwards like a gate to a healer or bank and allowing them to keep their basic needs) and just offering some help to others goes a long way in rebuilding our population. I left Siege and quit UO a few years back because we became a ghost shard and you could wonder the country sides and never see anyone out and about. I agree with dupapa too that a lot of people on Siege work and have families and their game time is limited. That was the one thing I enjoyed years ago when I came to Siege was that I was playing with adults (for the most part) There was accountability for your actions and your guild mates were family. Lets welcome the New players migrating over and help them to get on their feet and experience some fun or we will just end up a very quiet and lonely shard again. To each his own, but I have seen both sides and I am looking forward to seeing all the new faces running around!

Skunk and FrejaSP like this.
  14. Vinyard

Vinyard Visitor

So this means you shouldn't be killed by another player that plays the game as a murderer ? I call shenanigans, also I kill everyone equally. I don't care where they are, how old they are, or what they are doing. Senseless killing is the name of my game :gun:

15. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Politics can get you ban'd from Stratics...

16. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Hey, are you and your dad doing factions on Siege? You guys used to have some pretty hefty kill point totals (for that time anyway, back in 2006-2007) on GL and I think on Atlantic too, didn't you?

17. FrejaSP

It mean, if that hour they can play is in prim time, they may have very hard getting enough gold/resources to replace their lost items as they will get killed alot.

However, you can't know, who can affort loosing their suit and who can't so not easy. Also players who play more and are more active on the field and in gen chat get known and how much they are looted, often depent of their reputation.

A player who play very little will often be a nobody and that often make him get looted more as he do not belong to a respected group or a group, who will pay back the favor.

I can only advice players with little playtime to join a large guild, who can help getting new gear and maybe group up when hunting.

With that said, as I don't know, who you are ingame, I have no idea how much you loot :)

18. dupapa

dupapa Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Did i say that?? Er no...

My point was to coke an son that his view that siege is super easy because he likely invests alot of time and money into the game.

Thats all,

Dont put words in my mouth ive not said. Thanks.

Just squashing the thought that siege is super easy as too alot of people its not.

19. FrejaSP

One thing more, we do have a few new players, who also are new to UO. It take them longer to learn how to make money and some like to RP andmoney making may not be the most important for them.

As long we all play to have fun and don't forget to share the fun, all will be fine.

In the past, I had seen players, who played to make gold they could trade for RL cash. This players rarely care i they hurt the game, that be from killing and drylooting, from script mining/farming, selling illegale items like the "duped" tokens.

My point with this thread was only to help the players/guilds until they better can handle a bad day, where they may lose several suits.

To the new players here, my advice is, never carry anything you can't afford losing and be sure you have 1-2 backup suits as the hardest part of dying is the time you run around in death robe trying to buy new gear and even worse, trying to make money to new gear. As soon you are in a new suit, everything will feels better. Remember to replace the backup suit :)

If you are lost without backup suit or money, use gen chat and ask for help, you may be surprised how helpful Siege players can be and sometime, the helper may be the guy, who killed you yesterday :p

20. Feanaro

Feanaro Journeyman

Just saying when I log in and searching for people to pk the new2 title will not stop me from killing. Most times I dont loot. I killed a blue outside of shame yesterday looted his tmaps and let him be. One of my greastest joys left in this gane is searching for someone finally finding someone, and waiting for the right moment to kill them. Its about the closest thing to what uo was like pre age of shadows. Wish ea would makes a new server pre AOS like the free ones I bet a lot of people would play it -fean

Tiberius and Vinyard like this.
  21. FrejaSP

Relax, I'm not asking you or others not to kill :), I never ask anyone not to kill NEW2, I do ask PK's to go easy on them (not loot their suit and maybe check they made it back to their body).
    I have no complains about your playstyle and I remember at least one NEW2 telling he was killed of you and if I not remember wrong, you took time to chat with him and even gave him a few items he needed.
    I like the joy from killing too, remember Freja was red for 10 years and I am going red again.

Only thing I tryed to say with this thread is, if PK's kill and eat (read kill and dryloot) all the lamb they will only have the old sheeps to fight and no new lamb will grow up for you to fight.

And I wanted to remind the shard,that not all the new players did join NEW2. Also when a young player decide to join faction, the factions guilds need to pick him up and be sure he is ok.

I have the feeling, that young players, who join SL get it very hard,because some on this shard feel all in SL need to be runned of the shard because one member keep doing stupid thing, that make all hate him and the one who are in guild with him. This young player should not be runned of the shard, just because he is SL.

Same with SCUM and NBK, I see no reason, that this guilds are not allowed here just because a few members maybe did something bad. That do not make them all bad.

22. Coke & Son

Coke & Son Adventurer

Yes we are the same Father and Son team from GL and Atlantic. We have been playing since beta testing. We have one account that has been active the entire time, and is probably one of the oldest accounts on UO "Type: Internal | Status: Active | Created: 12/6/97". We were inactive for many years due to the fact that the risk/reward factor was taken out of the game with trammel, insurance, dupes... etc.. Back in January I decided to give Siege a try, and to my delight the risk/reward factor exists on this shard. We are in factions (and will always be) on Siege. We are still a little rusty, and are still getting used to some of the elements that have changed. We both have full-time jobs, plus my son is in college. I have a family and I am a homeowner, so I have the same or more of the time pressures as anyone else. However, if you want to PK in this game (or keep from being PK'ed) you must make a commitment to put in any available spare time you have. If you want to be a casual player, then by all means.... It means that my time commitment will pay off, and I will kill your toon and take everything you have on you. That's what makes the game fun! Any suggestion that will take the risk/reward factor away from this last haven of real player vs. player action will cause me disgust. If anyone is offended by this, then all I can say is to each their own. I just wish we could go back to the old days, when if you went out with a key to your house, there was a chance you could lose your house and all of its contents to a PK. If you were able to kill the PK, then he/she would lose skill points. That's when this game was REALLY fun!

Tiberius and Vinyard like this.
  23. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Coke, I personally have no problem with how you guys do it. I was sorry to see you guys leave us but I also know you to both be solid, trustworthy people from the short time I knew you two. I also have never seen either of you engage in the antics of some of your current allies which imo is enough for being "other player friendly". I have my way I like to do things but trust me, someone who proves themselves unworthy of whatever kindness I may choose to show on the battlefield will certainly find me to be a drylooting, reskilling, follow you back to your house, and do it again sort:). My father and I played this game together frm day one on siege till his passing in 2012. I certainly miss pvp/pking with him and am glad you two are able to enjoy that.

P.S. I am glad we do not have stat for reds; A big part of why I like non factions but still run two different right now. It is too bad you missed years 1-3 of Siege. It sounds like yall would have fit right in and I have yet to have that game experience duplicated.

24. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

No one is saying that at all. Clearly you are free to play the game as you see fit, but some of us lived through part or all of the period where there were few players here and feel that showing a little compassion toward our new inhabitants while they are getting their feet under them might encourage them to really give Siege a chance and make this their home permanently.

Leaf and FrejaSP like this.
  25. Vinyard

Vinyard Visitor

I am Vinyard in game. I am also Satan.

I am also the "Son" in Coke and Son.

It is easy, and as you can see from this post I do not have oodles of time on my hands to play UO. I am just better at the time I set aside than you are, period. Being PK'd builds character and characters. PK's are what made me better at being able to PvP down the line, yes it took some time but eventually I was able to learn and got to find out it was one of the most enjoyable things this game has to offer to me. People that consistently complain about PK's and being killed are the downfall of this game, you brought us Trammel and item insurance, that is where your whining gets us. :fight:

26. FrejaSP

Coke I don't know who you and your son is ingame. I won't tell you how to play, I however will tell you, most players who do loot everything will also be the ones losing everything when killed.
    I to played in old days and 2 thieves successed getting my key, when I forgot to track before getting the key from my vendor. Me and my sons killed thm several times, but the key was never on the thief we killed. After a while, I gave up, told them, I did not mind to share my house, but I would like to keep my items.
    They moved in and lived in my house a month, then they got their own and moved. There is many ways to survive in UO. I lost my key but did not lose my house. I got 2 friends and as bonus, I got protection against the local thieves as they was told to leave me alone.

An other time, I was killed and dry looted, even my lumber axe. Now I did have other axes :p, but the killed did not know that. I found him again in the forest, asked him, if I could have my axe back, so I could make money to a new suit. I got my axe back and a bag with a suit, I guess from a different victim.

I too loved what UO was back in 1997-98 but some need a little longer to learn to get back on their feets. You and your son survivers, I'm sure you can make it in any game. Not all are smart enough to that, some need a little help to learn.

27. FrejaSP

I hope you do not feel I'm whining, I hate Trammel and item insurance as much as you do. There is only one shard for me but I miss seeing more players around the player towns as that's where I love finding my victims. An emty shard is damn boring, we do need this new blood to grow up,fear not, the trammy minded won't make it, they will run off even if not looted at all.

28. Feanaro

Feanaro Journeyman

When I started on siege my char name was feanaro seragon. I joined new2 and tina helped me just like she does everyone who joins. I came here to pk and faction fight. I quickly became friends with TRU, leader of FSP! An SL faction. Tru and diablo have been nothing but my closest friends here on siege, despite what every one says about them we all stand together. Same would go for any one inclined to join us we would help you in everyway we can. Our play styles fit together well and only have a couple guild rules. First rule is to kill every one on site. Though most of the shard hates us we are a tight group.

29. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Yup, it's you all right! I can remember listening to you in KDL's Vent back in 2007 while we were guarding sigils. I don't think Vinyard ever talked in there. But I can just imagine you saying, accent and all, "Yall must be Democrats." LOL :) Glad to know you guys are both still playing. I can think of a few other people from that group who also would have made fun PKers on Siege. Maybe they'll come back someday and try it.

Vinyard likes this.
  30. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

Everyone PKs differently as is their right on Siege. I think all that's being asked is to remember that our numbers are up for the first time in a long time. If I were good enough to be red, I would disarm only. That means weapons, jewels, ammo, pots and bandages. Unless I was at war or involved in some RP conflict, then it might be worse. But that's just me. PKs and thieves are part of the community. If they grief, they may be denying themselves of help or services on down the road. And if victims whine about every little thing, there are a certain percentage of PKs that will target you all the more. Its just a fact.

Siege is not supposed to be easy. Plan ahead and prepare. Make sure that at any given time, a dryloot will not hurt you. If you need help getting established, ask.

Do not give griefers the power to hurt you.

Here is the bottom line. We have the opportunity to build a community. We have the numbers. We have the interest. We have crafters and killers and guild play and RP. What are we going to do about it?

FrejaSP likes this.
  31. Screws

Screws Adventurer

[quote="abosolutezero, post: 2297760, member: 165818" First rule is to kill every one on site.[/quote]

I am not familiar with this rule :p

32. Chrysallis

Chrysallis Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Hello fellow SP players. So far most of the responses I see here are from our beloved veteran players on the shard. So I figured as a newer player I would throw in my two cents worth. Let me first introduce myself since this name will not be familiar to you. I am Liandra of both ODE and Arrr. My journey on Siege started 6 month's ago. I did not start in New2, instead choosing to learn about Siege the hard way, with an awesome support group.

There is nothing wrong with PK'ing or even looting those that fell victim to you, what the issue is the constant dry looting and extreme attitudes afterwards. If you do not allow the newer players the opportunity to train or farm, then no one is going to have anything worth stealing or looting. They need to have opportunity to get good items, be able to buy better suits, buy houses, train up their crafters, or everyone suffers. Won't it enhance your game play if you are able to pk them, and discover some nice little item on their bodies? Why take all their armor, especially when most likely it is not as good as what you have?

What good does having millions do you if you have no one to craft for you or have anyone new to fight? Part of the thrill is a good fight, a challenge, or good stuff to loot. Isn't it?

Skunk likes this.
  33. Endal

Endal Journeyman

I think the main reason that I didn't stick around on Siege is I had someone offer to help me out and when I showed up they killed me and took everything. The obnoxious part was that I had just spent the last four hours saving enough gold to buy a LRC suit and he took it all (was buying it from him).

Then someone suggested that I join the Brit Faction and I had to log out for four days to get out of it (every step I took someone slaughtered me)

All in all, I didn't find Siege to be in any way shape or form to be friendly to new players and while there is that NEW2 guild, no one is ever on who can induct new members. I might swing back onto Siege from time to time to try to earn a bit of gold... but I also probably won't.

*shrugs*

34. dupapa

dupapa Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience endal, sounds like you had a run of bad luck,

My last new character snider has spent most his days turning down offers of help as people are too friendly. Generally on siege most people are infact helpfull, but as you found out some are not so helpfull, things like joining the brit faction are not good moves when fresh to the server,

In reference to NEW2, the leaders generally around everyday, sad to hear you've not managed to join them, they would of sorted you out,

35. Rizarium

Rizarium Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Arrr & Yarr Pirates!

Really? The people responsible will never see this post, but dam really guys?

PM me if you ever want to make another start

Dacatge likes this.
  36. mikni

mikni Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Had I known you didn't even had enough money to suit up I would have dumped gold on you. Even if I don't have any idea who you are. And I know there are a lot of people that would do the same. Sorry to hear you ran into the few that can't act like adults.

37. Dacatge

Dacatge Adventurer

Ahoy!!!! :p

Ok as we all know we play siege. And some of us :p like to pk. Now as you well know i be loving to pk, But i dont loot never have. Now i might get the retort from the SL group but faction fighting and PKing are two different things. I have always tried to help people. Mainly because i want to do as Freja has stated let them get strong better fight. maybe have something worth taking. Suits really not my syle. But i am a Pirate and i chose to blunder what i want or dont want. *Thinks maybe take pots or bandies* maybe now. Anyway, I just think people should die, but if we break their spirt then they wont be there to kill the next time. And we are left to searching a dead shard, and i hate that. I cant count how many of my freetime hours ive spent hunting the lands of Sosoria, and not finding a soul. So when i did find them i was overjoyed killed them if they werent to fast for this ol Pirate and left them be. So the griefer types that rez kill or just be PUNKS to people im not fond of. im rambling and drunk.

Love from Arrr!!!
    Captain Sureno

Skunk and Endal like this.
  38. Chimera

Chimera Visitor

I want everyone to think back in time and channel the spirit of Wyrm and what he would say to this post..... clears throat *best Wyrm accent" " Infidels, worthless blues, We shall not suffer them to live... Kill them all !!!* but Wyrm would say it with more flair :)

39. FrejaSP

WyRm did go easy on my NEWs, and some truely enjoyed his RP. Killing is not the problem, heavy looting is.
    And you won't suffer because y

40. CorwinWE2

CorwinWE2 Adventurer

Freja, why don't you do the newbs a favor and maybe with the help of the forum put together a guide for how a player can succeed and prosper on the shard, regardless of what other players do?

For instance, players don't have to go farm places where there isn't a wandering healer, a shrine, or even a Bank nearby. Can't you still charge a run book with gate scrolls? Can't you still kill various monsters with little more than a Summon scroll? Before a character becomes capped, there are always lots of interesting places to invest skill points that will help earn gold.

Heck, if all you go in to the field with is a handful of loose reagents and a cheap weapon and some random armor dumped at the bank, who's going to even bother looting that?

Personally, I loved the challenge of hitting hot spots to earn gold fast and try to bank it before I got caught. I never had a problem staying ahead of that game.

41. FrejaSP

LOL, you are so outdated about the game. You need to get back in game, the game have changed a lot since you left :p

42. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

I was busy establishing myself on Siege, had 2 houses and was working a tamer and a mule. I went out to tame a pet on my low level tamer and I got pk'ed. Not a huge deal, it wasn't my first...however it became my last. The 3 of them proceeded to take my armor, cut it up, spread the scraps around on the ground, and then kill me again after I got back to my corpse to see if I had anything left to save. After that I became so frustrated that I left Siege...all it took was one time for me. Siege has many very kind players, sadly the small handful of jerks ruin it for a lot of newcomers.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

43. FrejaSP

I hope the guys who killed you read this as they sure hurt Siege alot. Killing is ok, looting what they need is ok but being jerks are not needed. Look like some players just don't want more players on Siege.

44. CorwinWE2

CorwinWE2 Adventurer

I'm sure a lot has changed, but let's not pretend that there weren't jerks, dry looters, and far worse in Sieges' early days. Heck, there were new players who left the shard screaming about the injustice when their newbie gear broke and they had nothing left. Players either want to rise to the challenges they face along the way or they don't.

Didn't the old NEW track enemies of the guild? Didn't they used to call in for outside help when they met a player or group on that enemies list? At least that approach empowered players and created interactions for the whole shard. Did it draw more conflict? Of course, but the problem was thinking there was something wrong with that. Problems should be solved in game through use of force or negotiation, not by complaining on the boards.

As the old saying goes, if you hand someone a fish they'll be fed for a day; if you teach someone to fish, they'll be fed for a lifetime.

Personally, I preferred to take care of my own problems. I remember back in the early days, walking around Safe Haven with a Dragon in tow. The Shadowclan Orcs managed to surround me and kill me. I think they all but dry looted me to boot. I didn't use my Dragon, but they of course killed it anyway. I warned them that if they agreed to let my pets live in the future, I wouldn't use them against them in combat - and they turned me down. I think I made them pay adequately well over the years for their choice.

#44 CorwinWE2, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  45. FrejaSP

Sure there had always been jerks on Siege, the shard are much more nicer now than in the early days

They did, I however choose a different way to solve the problems. If I can solve it without asking the shard for help to hunt down a trouble maker I will and I believe I success that well :p

Yes and I do that too, I do give them stuff they can make them self and I do not wrap them in cotton to protect them, I rather try to explain to the nasty killers, that an empty shard is not fun, they need to give them a little time to get use to it here.

You did well, think you was the most the most powerful tamer we ever had. Maybe you should login and look at the new pets we got :p
    Even Shadowclan got a few bad apples.

As you see of Skunks post, we do have a few, who do not care. There actions do hurt the shard, there is no need to grief that way.

46. CorwinWE2

CorwinWE2 Adventurer

Sure, I saw it, and since I don't even play Siege anymore I resisted the urge to reply how we would have back in the day. :)

If players are going to stick around on the shard, they have to see that they have a role to play beyond the part of the "victim". If they can't act like gamers and aren't motivated to try to meet and conquer the challenges they face, they really don't belong.

Of course I'm not saying that problems have to be faced with force, but they do need to faced, and there's plenty of ways to do it.

47. FrejaSP

AoS killed a lot PvP on Siege and later a time with powerful faction items. It will take some time to rebuild the anti guilds, think we need a few strong guild leaders, who understand the Siege community. In the past wwe had both red and blue, who would target a grief player/guild before other enemies. I hope as we see more guilds grow up, we will see some guilds take the regulator role. To make that happen, they need to be able to replace lost items and with new loot and Imbuing, that is much easier now, only problem is, crafting is to time eating now, you work to much and have to little time to fun and to hang out chatting in the player towns.

48. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

I'm not claiming to be a victim, just letting whoever cares to read know why I left for now. It was frustrating, that's all.

49. CorwinWE2

CorwinWE2 Adventurer

Of course it's frustrating. The problem is that frustration motivated you to quit rather than to find a way to deal with it.

Freja makes some interesting points about the cost of equipping, but frustration about equipment loss is nothing new to the game of UO. Way back in the early days of the game, I was part of a group that founded a "Lootless Army" to encourage players to not only stop worrying about losing their pixel crack, but to learn how to, and start fighting back by the simple tactic of using our numbers, preparing ambushes, and having to fear. One of the funny things was listening to some PKs complaining after a battle that it was costing them too much to fight us.

So, yeah, trying to convince jerks to not be jerks is a losing battle ... but learning how to get back at them is actually a whole lot of fun.

And yet, that's only one of many ways to go about dealing with this sort of thing.

Heck, I always thought it was pretty funny that there wasn't anything close to an effective Anti-PK movement on Siege until the PKs not only went out of their way to encourage it, but some of them even joined it. There are players who are interested in fair play and balance, but most experienced players came to Siege so they could fight whoever they wanted to fight without severe penalties. My guild varied somewhere between neutral, territorial PK, and outright PKs. When we helped the Anti-PK side, it was because we liked them more then who they were fighting. After all, true PKs kill other PKs, but a lot of the political nuances seemed to get lost over the years ... especially when concepts like PK/Anti-PK become confused with blue/red.

50. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

I'm not done with Siege, just rethinking my role there...I shall return to die another day. I just need to figure out how to deal with the losses I will face without having to run away from the shard.