1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Soulstone 24 Cool down timer removed(please keep it this way Dev team)

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Kage, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You guys may have done it bye accident but this really is a good change.

2. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Put the timer back in. There is no reason to have this.

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

It is a terrible idea. I can only imagine the "clever" gimplates that can be created.

4. CatLord

CatLord Guest

Those templates are already posted and ready to roll if this isnt changed back to 24 hours...

Boy... people are fast!

5. As much as I like being able to change skills around I have to agree that timer needs to be put back, but let go with 12 hours not 24. Then I have to wait only a half day to change skills back around.

6. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Where are they posted?

7. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Kage... You are scary smart when it comes to amazing PvP templates. You need no more advantages...

8. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Put the cool down on the skill transfered instead of the stone it is transfered to?

9. Ack hope they fix this..sounds like alot of problems would come frmo this with no timer on them.

10. Chrissay_

Chrissay_ Guest

This is not intended and we are working on a fix.

11. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You're right I'm. Now how about you telling me how smart you're? I mean your claims are that this will change pvp.

Care to explain? Because I honestly don't think you have a clue about what you are speaking of.

Just explain to me how this will change pvp?

Because like I said... The skill cap is still the same this does not allow you to go over 720 skill points...

There is a combat flag timer of two minutes...

You must use the soulstone in a house that you own or are a friend to...

When you do swap templates a lot of things come into play as well...

Uo Macros must be changed... Uoassist Macros must be changed as well...

It's not like you can just run into a house throw on a crazy template and be out the door pvping in 10 minutes....

Yes you can swap out your entire template but after that... You have to make several changes... So you will not be good to go for about 45 minutes...

12. Hildebrand

Hildebrand Certifiable

Time to start crafting mass soulstone frags I guess. Um they are craftable now, yes?

13. UOKaiser

UOKaiser Guest

Ah man give the players a bone. at least make it 4 or 5 hours that should keep both the pvp and pvm happy. Have you notice it's a constant struggle between both groups. one group want to restrict as much as possible the other group wants more freedom.

14. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I agree with Kaiser. It shouldn't take 2 days to change a template between 2 characters. A shorter timer would be nice. I was so happy when I heard the timer was gone, it's a pity it was unintentional.

15. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Yes it is a pity. The sad part is the people who do not want it feel that way because they think it will make a lot of gimplates... But I think my post explained that it's not that easy...

They don't seem to understand how much stuff come into play when swapping a template out...

16. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Most of the issues you mentioned there are easily overcome. I use LOTS of soulstones - enough that I have a standard macro-set-up that works for any skill/template arrangement... The suit is also very generic (max most every property and it is tailored to most every skill). I am good to go after 3 to 4 min - not 10 and certainly not 45... The two minute combat timer is the only real restriction you mentioned.

That said - I am not really sure the 24-hour timer helps either... there's always a 2nd soulstone you can use to get around that...

17. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Make your case... I remain unconvinced at this point that this can not be abused.

18. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

There are plenty of gimplates now, I don't see how this will make the problem worse. It's not like you can use stones out in the field on the fly. You have to be in a safe log out location and have to wait out a timer if you're flagged from combat. I would be more than happy with a 3 or 4 hour delay. But 24 is just too long. 2 weeks ago I had to clear skills off my bard, so she could receive skills from my 2nd mule. But before I could do that I had to dump all her bard skills on a skill holding character. So I got halfway done and had to wait 24 hours to finish because my stones were locked. Glad I wasn't in a hurry to use her new template.

19. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I'm guessing that you're not really into pvp?

Because when it comes to swapping a template out everything must be changed...

Suits of armor, Jewls, Regs, Darts, Stars, Smoke bombs, if you can do all of that in 3-4 minutes, plus change your macros, then there would be a problem but I dont believe that lol

Also... Stat points also come into effect when changing templates... and there is still a timer and cap on them... So you cant just go from a mage to a dexer in 10 minutes...

20. Tazar

Tazar Guest

I do not see them reducing the timer at all... it boils down to income and legacy token sales... no timer means no need for more soul-stones - one would do!

21. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Yes, having extra stones helps. But for those players who only have 1 or 2 stones (personally, I have about 7 or 8 and it's not enough) switching templates between two characters could take a week or more. Because of the difficulty/cost of obtaining stones the 24 hour timer is too harsh of a penalty.

22. guum

guum Guest

Sigh. My favorite new feature of SA and it's a bug. Figures.

23. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I will admit this impacts Siege players in a unique sort of way. With just the one character per account...

24. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Siege should have some sort of timer, I hadn't considered how badly it could screw things up there. But regular prodo shards it's just an annoyance.

25. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I would not be adverse to a change in the timer... but instant? No.

26. Tazar

Tazar Guest

I've done plenty of PVP over the years - just have no interest in the current p-v-hack/script.

The suits, jewels, regs, etc... can all be prebagged at a house - grab the bag - hit a dress macro and you are done... it takes seconds.

The stat points are the only issue there - but yes, with my set-up I can go from mage to dex that fast... course... I am not on Siege... I use three identical Tazars with no skills - just varying stats... all skills are stoned to be used as needed).

Sounds like you have mastered tricky-combo templates, but believe me, I have tailored the soulstone thing about as far as it can go as well and often swap out entire templates while the keys on a peerless count down - or between levels of a champ spawn.

Again... this issue boils down to sales for EA... Don't expect a change when if can affect the bottom line...

27. CatLord

CatLord Guest

What ... HE... said!

28. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Meh, I figure the gimplates are there already. You can't use stones in combat, so thats all that really matters.

I mean, we have soul stones at all, I think thats really ruined any of the good things that character constrained skill points (no more than 720 total per) had to offer the game. Such as scarcity of skills, and dependence on others. Now a days its more of an issue of its too boring/time consuming (compared to other things) to do certain things, and thats why things like crafting are still (in varying degrees) lucrative.

It just seems to me that UO is now a game almost completely for "finished" characters. Even new people end up maxed out pretty fast. I see why the idea of it leaves a sour taste, but I honestly don't think it will even be noticeable if they decided to leave it in.

Gimplates will be there no matter what.

29. Shamus Turlough

Shamus Turlough Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

No timer could be potentially game breaking for those that know how to take advantage... Kage you say you have to take time to change macros? I can write a batch file that will do that for me with a click of the mouse, and it is completely legal. As for having to wait for the flagged cooldown, that is the only thing keeping people from on-the fly template changes right now.

30. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

no timer please i love it

31. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I think fair play is more of an issue. Hell, Soulstones are a gift now. You can craft them. I have a dozen tokens I have not even touched...

32. Berethrain

Berethrain Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Wait, huh?

33. CatLord

CatLord Guest

We ran a Harrower last night on my home shard...

- no easy way to pvp, instant target, instant cross heal, instant self heal...

... no raiders.

Devs please keep patching so we learn who are the real pvpers!!! :thumbup:

34. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Yeah... They are just one shot (one charge) wonders... but it can be done.

35. Borric

Borric Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Dang, I kind of like the no timer. But then Im not into PVP. I like to be able to swap crafting skills around to have goods made by the toon wearing them.

With new craftable soulstones, how does a timer really mean anyting nnow? Im sure after a few months the materials needed to craft them will be farmed and be for sale on vendors. You would just use the one use crafted stones for long term storage and use the full stones to swap around.

Maybe a 2 hour timer? I have 16 full stones and honestly its not enough for me. I stone off all skills I dont need on toons to work a single skill to get faster gains. It would be nice to have no timer or like a 2 hour timer but its not going to change how I play.

36. Duke SP

Duke SP Guest

Great idea, keep no timer.

37. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

Yeah I would go with 6 or 12 hour timers.

38. I'd also like the no timer thing to stay, as Kage said, other than very minor changes theres more to it than just changing skills.

39. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah

Yes, keep the timer out.

My stealther/ninja/warrior/tamer/crafter/pirate/thief/beggar/chef template appreciates the change.

40. Adora

Adora Guest

Keep the timer off, please.

41. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

It's a shame this thread doesn't have a poll attached to it.

42. kokopelli

kokopelli Guest

But please consider lowering the timer while you "fix" it - it can take up to a whole WEEK to change a template if one only possesses a few stones. :(
    Timer is fine, but something sane like 1h or so.

43. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Soulstone fragment crafting requirements:

SA expansion
    GM Alchemy skill and must have read the Glassblowing book.
    Blow pipe
    2 Crystal Granules
    2 Void Essence

An alchemist with at least 75 Alchemy skill makes Crystal Granules from Shimmering Crystals (those tall clumps of colored crystals) obtained in the Prism of Light. Void Essence come from a number of monsters you can find around the fringes of Ter Mur.

44. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Please readd the timer- I do have 50 soulstones so it really doesnt bother me :)

45. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

THe production shards are't test centers... they don't need instantaneous skill changing.

46. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

And neither is Siege, fix the timers.

47. The Fallout

The Fallout Guest

Make the timer an hour or two.

48. Chrissay_

Chrissay_ Guest

Correction: I apologize there was a mis-communication and this was taken out on purpose. The timer will not be added at a later date.

49. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

:party::thumbup::danceb::danceb::thumbup::party:

50. jbfortune

jbfortune Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

WOOOOOOOOOOO. I love the change.