1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

SPLAT

Discussion in 'UHall' started by whiterabbit, Jan 23, 2014.

1. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Stratics Legend
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

*LAUFS* TROS PIES ALLA OBER

BEEES NATIONAL PIE DAZE

2. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

*ducks*

Are Goblin Pies something like Cow Pies?

#2 Winter, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  3. whiterabbit

Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

NERG LIKES MESANNA PIES

4. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Blood pie...

5. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

YUCK! I didn't think there was such a thing, so I looked up the recipe:
    Recipe for Blood Pie
    (Makes a pie to serve 8-10 people)
    600ml / 20 fl oz pig’s blood
    150ml / 5 fl oz heavy cream
    280g / 10oz pork back fat, finely diced
    280g / 10oz onions, finely diced
    2 tablespoons rolled oats
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
    1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
    1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
    1/2 tablespoon white pepper
    1/2 tablespoon chili flakes (optional)
    3 small beetroots with long roots (if preparing the pie to look like it does on The Next Generation)
    For the pastry (If using):
    180g / 6 1/3oz butter, at room temperature
    240g / 81/2oz flour
    1-2 tablespoons ice water
    Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.
    Start by making the pastry (if using). Rub the flour and butter together in a bowl until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add a tablespoon of ice water and bring the mixture together into a ball. Add the second tablespoon of water if needed. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
    For the filling:
    Start by cooking the onions until soft, and then add the diced pork fat. Cook for a few minutes until the fat turns slightly translucent, then remove from the heat and let cool.
    Put the blood in a blender and blend for a couple of minutes to break it up, then strain into a bowl, to remove any clots. To the blood, add the cooled pieces of fat and onions, cream and the oats and spices. Stir well to combine.
    Roll out the pastry and place onto a tart or pie pan. Cover with aluminum foil and add pie weights, coins or dried beans as weights. Bake for about 15 minutes, until it begins to brown.
    Remove the foil and the weights, and immediately add the blood mixture. Make sure you stir it, so any bits that have fallen to the bottom are remixed. I find it easiest to use a soup ladle and ladle it in to the pie shell.
    Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the mixture is firm to the touch and a dark bown colour. If desired, add any scraps of pastry to the top in a lattice or other design. Return to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes to brown the pastry.

#5 Winter, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    whiterabbit likes this.
  6. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sounds like it doesn't taste a lot different than blood sausage (fun fact: I had one for lunch today, fried actaully).
    I'd definitely eat that...

whiterabbit likes this.
  7. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Winter, sugar the eating of blood pie and sausage and such has been around for centurys, it was a way to use up every scrap of the slautered animal and it gave them a rich source of iron and ecential neutriments needed in their diet that otherwise would not be there... remember they were not big on salads...and vegies were not as big a variaty as we have in our time.... the recipy sounds scottish.they were noted for the use of oats in their mixes.
    I'd love to try the english Pasty, it came about from miners wives feeding their hubbys, in mines you cant just go wash your paws so the pastry has a crimmped/rolled edge that they held to eat it, the filling is a wonder as it started with the meat and vegies then melds to a fruit filling. They would not eat the rind crust where thir hands held it but tossed it out ... that way no one became ill from the mining dirt on their hands.
    You learn so much from PBS and shows like How its made, and How do they do it...

whiterabbit likes this.
  8. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

I know, I know - But... but... if blood sausage and blood pie are so good for you, why doesn't my local Wal-Mart carry them?

I think we've both seen the same PBS specials. If you haven't seen it, the Connections TV series is along the same lines as this discussion, and one of my favorites.

whiterabbit likes this.
  9. whiterabbit

DIS WHY LADY STORMS UNDIES BEEES PINK !! HERZ DRIBBLES. LAUFS

10. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Right... Only we Drow make it from the blood of our enemies or their children... *grins*

11. Endrik

Endrik Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I thought pie day was March 14th. ;)

12. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

so...is that what you do in this adspace game?
    [​IMG]
    lol...poor piggies...that's a lot of pig blood. that's like going out picking up a 20 oz soda? lol ew.

well I'm boring, all I eat is poultry for the most part.

13. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Bunny your in the wrong undie drawer....... i dont own any pink anything....

14. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

blood pie is also a great source of replenishable protein (you dont have to kill the animal to get enough blood for a blood pie) my grandmother said her worst job on the farm was to collect the blood for her mother's blood pies. she said she'll always remember the squeals those piggies made when she had to make a small cut just big enough to collect the blood.

15. Hinotori

Hinotori Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I have goblin pie. It's delicious and nutritious and tastes just like goat.

whiterabbit likes this.
  16. Amber Witch

Amber Witch Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Gilfane

It is a goodly thing that the recipe for Witches Pie was lost long, long ago.
    *throws a meat pie at Whiterabbit*

whiterabbit likes this.
  17. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

I'm sure it does taste like goat... but, which end of the goat?