1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Starting from ground level - an experiment

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Yadd of Legends, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

Yesterday I started a mage on another shard, just to have a character on that shard. I spent a couple hours on her at ground level – actually going out and gathering reagents off the ground to cast the few offensive spells I had, killing first mongbats and then ettins for gold for more reagents (it felt pretty weird not having my imbuer just make her an LRC suit). In a couple hours I had enough gold to buy a full spellbook to start casting blade spirits (how long has it been since you bothered with that spell)? Of course I could have bought a mythic character token and started out killing creatures that dropped a lot more gold from the beginning, but I didn’t in this case. It felt incredibly strange not to have my other characters supporting her (I can't transfer anything over to her without buying tokens). I wonder how long it has been since you built a character from scratch with no support from your other characters or anyone else? I'm not sure how far I'll take this, but the experiment brought back some good memories.

2. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

About 3 months ago on Siege. Still working on my mage/tamer, but it took about a week to get a full LRC suit just from mob loot, and place a house. Gathering reagents from the ground really brings back the old memories.

3. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I spent awhile working up about 6 or 7 characters on Siege awhile back. Rather enjoyed it for a bit but then reached rather a plateau if you will and then got tired of it.

Jade of Sonoma likes this.
  4. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I do that for UO training videos. It is to help new and returning players.

5. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

That goes along with my theory - it's fun to start new characters and build them up to about GM, then it becomes more of a grind and not so fun without help from advanced characters

6. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well, before shard shields...lol. But now, oh wow...so nice. But yeah, 1 mage, at least, on every shard. I'm in that club.

7. Lord Nabin

Lord Nabin High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Glorious Lord ACW

Good stuff.

Over the last 3 years I have built up a pure Mage on each shard ( with a few secrets) . Nothing special to speak of but you can find a Lord Nabin in the ACW (Ancient Conclave of Wisdom) on every shard now.

I enjoyed every moment of the build.

*Flips a corner of his cloak as he turns down the path of the trail least traveled"

8. Jade of Sonoma

Jade of Sonoma Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Over the years, and even now, I am always starting NEW characters on every shard only to collect in-game gifts. But I find sometimes I love to just develop Skills on some of them just to stay in touch with the way things are done. A good example of this is the Gargoyle - - I made Gargoyles from scratch on many of the shards and find them very useful for Stealth (they don't need a mount) Magery (can buy reagents from Mages now) and Animal taming because a Greater Dragon and a Stealther is a great combination.

Otherwise I have Human Mages/tamers/crafts people like scribes but no houses for them to work in and all are GM now. Those characters all used Reagents they would buy from the NPC Shops. But I don't mind picking up a good load of free reagents on the ground in Moonglow.

#8 Jade of Sonoma, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Yadd of Legends likes this.
  9. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

Talk about cloning :)

Jade of Sonoma likes this.
  10. Lord Nabin

Lord Nabin High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Glorious Lord ACW

The basic suites were the hardest part. Well they are not basic