1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Starting Siege as a merchant

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Gethin, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Gethin

Gethin Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Howdy all,

I've recently returned, been having fun on Oceania. But have found that there is very little in the ways of people on to interact with. Been reading the Mythbusting siege post and feel that starting there as a merchant might be fun, but was wondering the following:

• Is there still a place for merchants there (was going the BS, alchemy route)?
    • Can you make a decent impact/contribution to a guild by being nothing but a mule?

Thanks,

Geth

2. York_Siege

York_Siege Seasoned Veteran

Being a merchant on siege can be very profitable, it's a route few take but those who do will see that it's a character type that costs little and has a steady income. There is huge need for players like yourself.
    Just remember this is not a production shard and prices are not as high... Do a little research before you start selling to make sure you aren't over pricing (common issue for those who come to the shard). Look for NEW2 and they will introduce you around. ( you can normally find someone through gen chat). I hope to see you on the game.

Boondocker likes this.
  3. Spiffykeen

Spiffykeen Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran Safe Haven

I came to siege and started as a Stealth Crafter. Now, I didn't want to make an imbuer, perse, but having lived here for a bit now, if you want to sell crafted armor/weaps, you will want to be an imbuer, AND you have to have Arms Lore. My mistake was not adding arms lore to my template so that I could sell things to be imbued. That being said, I run a vendor that sells ingots, boards, and special resources, and it does quite well. I also sell a ton of repair deeds and tools (not that those will make you rich, but people appreciate them more here than they do on prodo)

I have two accounts, I made my other account a tamer, so I don't get burned out on crafting, but as a stealther, I can do a lot she can't do. I go to the underworld and do the puzzle boards, I strip down to my skivvies and go to Idocs. I'll go hunting with Vollems. I can do all sorts of stuff. My template is hiding/stealth, mining/lj, carp, tink, and 120 tailoring.

You mentioned Alchemy, alchemists do fairly well, at least from me, I'm always buying potions in 10 packs or kegs

So yes and yes, welcome to siege!

Boondocker and Lady Tia like this.
  4. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Gone are the days that players congregate around the town forge and Sieger's do not typically banksit. I occasionally run into other players at Luna and Umbra banks, but they are few and far between. Most of us do not care to stand around making ourselves a target for thieves. :)

As far as interaction goes, I would join NEW2 for your training and ask Freja or one of the co-leaders for help getting familiar with the various guilds and find one to join. A NEW2 leader can also facilitate the introduction to the appropriate guild leader when you decide which one you might be interested in joining. Joining a guild here will quickly give you people to interact with and in most cases, will enhance your gameplay exponentially!

#4 Kat, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Angyl of Ohr likes this.
  5. Gethin

Gethin Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been essentially chopping every tree in Minoc, was talking in general yesterday mentioned I was new, player showed up and gave me a 1 million gold cheque and gated out. Was rather chuffed at that.

Boondocker likes this.
  6. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Take that check, place a house and buy a bunch of stuff. It's way more beneficial to a new player than a guild tag. :gee:

Boondocker likes this.
  7. Arradin

Arradin Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I want to thank you all for this post and the replies, as i also starting a crafter here right now. :)

Question really is, if i want to start Imbuing, i need to buy the reagents, correct?

8. Barania

Barania Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You're gonna need gems...not reagents. Gems can be mined, looted off of creatures like crystal elementals, or purchased somewhere. I've never bought any since I hoard things and saved a lot of them since I began playing.

You're also gonna need residue and essence which you'll get when you unravel things. Good luck.

Jack Nickelson

Boondocker likes this.
  9. Wee Willie

Wee Willie Visitor

If you mention in chat that you are working on imbuing there is a chance that someone might be doing T maps or SoS's which will give you an opportunity to get some gains from unraveling the loot they don't want. When Sara Dale and I go doing SoS's we usually end up with 15 to 20 chests to unravel.

10. Daggot

Daggot Visitor

Although I am new myself call me in chat, as i usually run around farming t-maps and have a lot of stuff I dont need that I can give for free ))