1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice

[Stealing] Stealing from Monsters

Discussion in 'UO Crime' started by Petra Fyde, Apr 25, 2014.

  1. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
    BrianFreud, kongomongo and Taylor like this.
  2. azmodanb

    azmodanb Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2004
    Messages:
    5,912
    Likes Received:
    1,186
  3. popps

    popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    Messages:
    13,445
    Likes Received:
    461

    Thank you for the cool video.

    One question, when stealing from Monsters, is there any need to have also the snooping skill on the character or since it is just random stealing, only the stealing skill is necessary ?

    Or perhaps there is some "bonus" for the outcome of the item stolen (i.e. a rarer and better item stolen ?) if one has also the snooping skill besides the stealing skill ?

    Or would just having the snooping skill when stealing from Monster be just a waste of skill points ?

    Since we are talking about Felucca, some Monsters there carry also silver. Can one also steal silver ?

    Thanks.
     
  4. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
    Snooping is not required. I only added snooping to the character when the Exodus encounter was added. Snooping is needed for Exodus Zealots if you are to get anything but gold from them, although it is not used actively.
    As far as I am aware silver can not be stolen. There was no mention of silver in the information given in the publish notes, only the items listed on the page I linked to.
    However my character is not in factions, so would not gain silver from the kill either.
     
    DungHook likes this.
  5. popps

    popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    Messages:
    13,445
    Likes Received:
    461
    I thought that being Felucca even if not in Factions the thief could steal also silver if the monster was one of the silver bearing ones....
     
  6. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
  7. Taylor

    Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Messages:
    8,023
    Likes Received:
    1,714
    Awesome job, Petra!
     
  8. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
    Thanks :D I was just lucky no Europa PKs happened to notice that I was streaming it live on Stratics and come looking for me.
     
    DJAd likes this.
  9. popps

    popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    Messages:
    13,445
    Likes Received:
    461
    By the way, I saw that you make no mention of using a Smuggler's Edge....

    Do you know whether using it may increase any further the chance to steal any of the rare items from monters or 10%+5% =15% is the highest chance one can achieve, regardless whether using a smuggler's edge or not ?
     
  10. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
    The description for Smuggler's Edge states:
    You'll notice my character has no fighting ability, the summoned daemon runs interference for my character and does the fighting.
    In addition it only gives a 5% chance of a steal while fighting. I have a better chance of a result by using the stealing skill.
    Therefore the item is not particularly useful to me. Nor do I particularly want either of its two special items
     
  11. popps

    popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    Messages:
    13,445
    Likes Received:
    461

    I thought that upon using the smuggler's edge it "added up" to the chance of stealing a special rare item ("If your Stealing skill is over 100.0, you can get a bonus to the appearance ratio of a rare item.")...

    That is, "any" rare special item not just the 2 mentioned....

    That is, I understood, if without the smuggler's edge a 120 stealing character stealing on a level 5 Fame monster can have a 10% + 5% = 15% chance of stealing Seed of Life, Mana Draught, Gem of Salvation, Balm of Strength, Balm of Wisdom, Balm of Swiftness, Balm of protection, Stone Skin Lotion and Life Shield Lotion, upon using a Smuggler's Edge the chance of stealing one of these items would increase to a better 20%....

    UOGuide http://www.uoguide.com/Smuggler's_Edge says : In addition to the existing rare items, the following two rare items may be able to be stolen only at the time of stealing with a Smuggler's Edge.
    So, my understanding was that the Smuggler's Edge should add up (in addition...) another 5% to the 15% max possible chance (making it a total 20% chance...) when stealing rare items from Monsters without it...
    Basically my understanding was :
    +10% chance at a rare item from being 120.0 stealing skill ;
    + 5% chance at a rare item from stealing from a level 5 Fame Monster ;
    + 5% chance at a rare item from using a Smuggler's Edge in the process.

    Total = 20% chance at a rare item steal from level 5 Fame Monsters being a Legendary thief and using a Smuggler's Edge.

    Did I understand it wrong ?
     
    #11 popps, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  12. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
    I'm not sure to be honest. I can try it, but as I said, I have no fighting ability on the character. To trigger the stealing, even at 20%, first you have to actually hit it!
     
  13. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
    Tried the smuggler's edge. 30 swords and 30 hci on jewels was all I had though.
    In the same place and same time scale I failed to steal from most mobs and got only gold when I succeeded. No special items obtained at all.
    I conclude that even with 120 stealing the smuggler's edge is pretty useless without weapon skills.

    I could be wrong but it would appear there is a 5% chance while fighting that you will trigger a steal attempt - with a 15% chance of that stealing attempt producing a special item if you have 120 stealing. I don't think the percentages add up the way you believed.
     
  14. popps

    popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    Messages:
    13,445
    Likes Received:
    461

    Hmmm... it would be nice to have any of the Developers clear out this uncertainty for the players...

    After all, the Smuggler's Edge takes origin from a code (which means real money cost to get) and I think it should be clear what it can do and what it cannot do before players risk spending their money on items which work different as to what they thought...
     
  15. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
  16. popps

    popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    Messages:
    13,445
    Likes Received:
    461

    Since Peerless ingredients can be stolen from the Zealots, this means that if, when snooping them, there is none showing in their backpack, they have to be killed and a new one to get spawned, in order to get a chance to steal peerless ingredients ?

    What if one does not steal from them but just kills their corpses and loots them ? Will the peerless ingredients appear on their corpse or is it only from stealing them that one can get them ?

    Thanks !
     
    #16 popps, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
    you can not actively snoop their backpacks, snooping is used passively, but without it you can only obtain gold. The special items can ONLY be obtained through stealing. They are not found on corpses.
     
  18. popps

    popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    Messages:
    13,445
    Likes Received:
    461

    Ok, thank you, do you know how rare they might be to get ? Like on average 1 ML ingredient in how many stealing attempts moreless ?

    Also, can one steal over and over from the same one Exodus Zealot or do they need to be killed to refresh their spawn ?

    Thanks.
     
  19. Petra Fyde

    Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Messages:
    30,888
    Likes Received:
    5,169
    I don't know what the drop rate is, like most drop rates it's not revealed and varies. You can only steal from a zealot once but you don't need to kill them, they disappear.