1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Stealthing poll

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Sir Morder, Apr 28, 2014.

?

Does Siege need Hiding/Stealth?

1. Yes

69.0%
  2. No

31.0%
  1. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I, personally, hate it.
    - If you are blue, there is the guard zone for your protection. Venture out and DIE like the rest of us. Hell you might even like it.
    - if you are red, then die inside the guard zone like the rest of us.
    - if you're in factions and still stealth, well, refer to the bluebie advice.
    - if you're a crafter and hide...are you serious?
    - did I miss anyone? The dev's have given us incredible gear that is cursed and meant to be used AND lost. This shard is meant for fighting, dying, losing gear! If you don't understand, well, trammel -----> that way.

Critical Gaming and Bo Bo like this.
  2. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I personally believe it is required... Because we always have to dodge PKers.

startle likes this.
  3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

There are no PKers to Dodge in Trammel... That is boring.

startle likes this.
  4. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I don't have hide/stealth on Troop and never have. I do have it on my crafter. It's rare that I get PK'd.

Sir Morder likes this.
  5. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

I have to say yes and no. I have it on my character because I like using it when Im trying to retrieve my body or Im wanting to adventure a dungeon I have never been in before, although I have also used it to hide from people, I say yes for people that don't want to die. No for the people who are brave enough and are willing to die or have a fight. Im a bit of both.. *shrugs* Call me a trammy if you want for using stealth but a lot and I mean a lot of people have it. Right now my computer is down and im using a lap top so im stealthing. But hey. When I get my computer back up I wont be hiding

6. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

No you don't always have to dodge or hide. Try fighting back. Unless you are still on a dial-up conn then perhaps hiding is your gig. What kind of ultra-awesome gear are you running that you can't afford to lose? We have a bless item option here. Bless your orny or whatever you choose and enjoy what Siege really has to offer.

Critical Gaming likes this.
  7. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

I've seen one shown red in the past year. There's no pk's here either so why hide :)

Troop likes this.
  8. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

Rare indeed.

9. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

To respond quickly :
    Try using sacrifice to retrieve body. Very easy to raise sacrifice.
    Join factions and use monster ignore to explore dungeons (I know you are in factions).
    If you're hiding from people - who scares you so? Are you afraid of losing cheap gear?
    If you don't want to die? Why play Siege? Siege came after trammel BECAUSE people wanted to die ;) I was there, I know :)

10. Ru TnT

Ru TnT Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

If nobody is stealthing around, who will I play hide and seek with? :sad3:

Kattasrophe, startle, Kat and 3 others like this.
  11. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

Ru what can I say? You might be thee original stealther (or was it Mr X?) There's always an exception to every rule :)

12. Spiffykeen

Spiffykeen Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran Safe Haven

Maybe I just like sneakin around dammit....

Kattasrophe, startle and Angyl of Ohr like this.
  13. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

While the Bo's current template involves hide and stealth, Bo agrees with this 100%.
    If they eliminated hide stealth you would have alot easier time getting away from pks when you are farming. Most pks will use hide stealth to there advantage to suprise you. Without hide stealt you will see the pk from a screen away, giving you a head start on the run away.

FrejaSP, Sir Morder and Troop like this.
  14. Aelfric

Aelfric Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I think hide and stealth are very important skills, and people love having this style of character in all fantasy/role-playing games forever and always. Myself included. What we should do is buff tracking and detect hidden. They both used to be much better, and should be much more powerful considering the amount of space they take up on a template.

I would also like to see an increased incentive for everyone to move through certain areas in the countryside and cross paths with one another. Incentivise risk.

While house teleporters are awesome and convenient, they never should have been added. It prevents random encounters. House teleporters are only barely worse than having recall on our shard. Also, the world is way too big now that the population is so low.

In other words, I think there are many other culprits besides the skills hide and stealth.

Kattasrophe and Barry Gibb like this.
  15. Angyl of Ohr

Angyl of Ohr Adventurer

oh Sir Morder, tsk tsk. I give you +1 for at least trying. Silly wabbits, tricks are for kids :rolleyes:

16. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

If stealth was removed (which won´t happen) I wouldn´t cry too much.
    But I do love it for my PvM/exploring adventures...

startle likes this.
  17. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Yes, and it's also annoying when they use monster ignore when raiding a champ spawn.

18. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

Sorry I have to edit I tried replying on my desk top and am still having problems posting so I'm back on da phone.
    Um tracking and detect we're never any better than they are now so not sure what you're saying here. Not one pvp template I have ever seen on any board involves GM detect & GM tracking. You might as well say "come keel me, I suxxors!"
    Everyone move through certain areas? What good does that do if everyone is hiding?
    House teleporters suck. Period. I don't own any nuf said.

#18 Sir Morder, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  19. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

I'm sorry, I don't know you. By looking at your post count I'm guessing that you are new and have recently came to Siege and made another stealther?
    Please allow me to introduce myself. My name in game is Sir Morder 15 + year veteran of Siege. Welcome to Siege. If I happen to run into you I will welcome you Siege style *evil grins*
    Please at least try to enjoy Siege as it was MEANT to be played ;)

20. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

I'm not sure if you know this (maybe you do) but there used to be a timer after hiding before you could stealth. There also used to be non passive stealthing by which I mean you had to actively hit the stealth skill. You also could not go more than 8 steps (I think) without having to actively use the skill again. Don't delete stealth? Okay, put it back to how it used to be *evil grins*

21. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

actually gm tracking used to give a boost to deathstrikes. Bo ran it for along time. thats how bo would hit for 60 on deathstrikes.

22. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

Ahh a perk you might say for making thyself orange and a target anywhere to any other factioneer :)

23. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

That also was with human tracking or at the most 40 tracking skill, not GM tracking.

24. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

Just sayin, Im not factioned, :) Im not afraid of loosing gear at all, but I dont like taking a long time to retrieve a body :) Anyhow, I will keep playing my game and you keep playing yours, Sides, I mainly play just to hang with my friends and help people, And for the heck of it. *hugs everyone*

25. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

This is not correct. Siege happened before Trammel.

26. weins201

weins201 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry but this sound like a BAD rant from someone who cannot find people to kill. Monster Ignore is an Abused BAD implementation and will be fixed with the abolition of factions. Sacrifice is a tool to be used and something you cannot use as a red can you :-( I Stealth around to avoid measly encounter with player who only wan to to kill other players, and I have stealth to allow me to do so without confrontation, It has been around for a LONG time get over it. Learn to play with people and not just seek them out to kill them and you MIGHT actually have people who might want to play with you. But since you clearly only want to kill other player, enjoy your play style and live with what others chose. Almost all of your assumption are way off. And the shard is NOT for fighting and dying and was never designed to force player to interact only by fighting each other, it was designed to make it a bit more risk to play that is about it, it was NOT designed to give malcontents a place to kill other for S.a.G.s.

27. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Thank you weins201... Punctuation... it is not just for smilies. :pie:

*winks*

28. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Stealth has and always will be dumb..but it's not going anywhere..there used to be very few stealthers until the made ninja require stealth hiding for deathstrike..and since a 9year old can play a ninja stealther..that's all you see..or 210 sword/archers.. Easy buttons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Welcome cazador... I do not see you here often.

cazador likes this.
  30. Aelfric

Aelfric Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Tracking used to pick people up from multiple screens away, and it didnt use that arrow, but gave you directions which was better.

Detect used to passively reveal people, and reveal much more easily.

31. Aelfric

Aelfric Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Also, i think that the solution, whatever it is, should not restrict people's templates but rather encourage new ones.

32. Zalfein

Zalfein Journeyman
    The DarkOutlaws, TDO

You're so right, this shard is not about fishing, decorating, socializing, crafting, staring at the screen half asleep holding a bowl of cereal.

This shard is for the elite, who still believes a 16 year old game is DA best for PvP.

Zalfein

Spiffykeen likes this.
  33. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

This shard is for whoever wants to play it, and it is what we make of it.

Only here do we have the unique ability to see somebody playing in a way we don't like, and to viciously murder them and everybody they love for it.

Why must we argue and squabble over something so pure?

Barry Gibb, Barania, FrejaSP and 8 others like this.
  34. crossandmore

crossandmore Adventurer

UO s great strength lies in the diversity of paths we can take.Why take away options? Everything can be countered,so therfor anything goes.

Aelfric and Kattasrophe like this.
  35. Ellie

Ellie Seasoned Veteran
    Gilfane

I use both hiding and stealth. Especially in the dungeons when I am stealing near monsters. I also use stealth to check on scripters. Most of the time I am out running around in the open. I hardly see anyone out there. Guess Im in the wrong spots for that. Or maybe its because I stay away from Luna.

I was in Moonglow last night and some one snuck up on me and hit me. I was in the open. I ran a ways off and then came back and started tracking her. Its sooo much fun.

Troop and Kattasrophe like this.
  36. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

Okay Obviously this is turning into an argument, and I see good points on both sides. Thing is There will always be stealthing and hiding, There will always be fighters and crafters, there will always be ninjas, healers, imbuers, trackers, campers, and thieves. So what is the point of making a huge argument over it? And as I said Im on both sides, I find it annoying when someone calls you out to a duel then they never show I have seen it a numerous amount of times, Some of us are just anti social. My point is, We just have to make the best of it. So what if you dont like stealthers? there is always a way of killing them. and for the people that do not like dying, continue to hide! But that does not mean you are always safe! Siege is here for a reason, Im here because of the close knit community most of you are just like my family, I am not here for the fighting and arguing. So lets just make the best of what we got and be done with it! And Ru made a good point.. He must have his stealthers to play hide and go seek with! :p AND AND! My mom says some people no matter what you do you just cant make them happy, My Reply to that is, I'll have a heck of a time trying, Good luck to them death robe collectors and murderers!

Barry Gibb, Troop and Aelfric like this.
  37. Aelfric

Aelfric Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

While Katt is right, I think this is a pretty fruitful thread. It's good to see all the different takes on the matter.

Troop and Kattasrophe like this.
  38. Angyl of Ohr

Angyl of Ohr Adventurer

One should not assume, because I am fairly new to Stratics, that I am new to Siege. I quote Isaac Asimov ~ “Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”

You, and others who have like minds and playstyles as you do, have every right to play Siege as you wish. In that same breath, so does anyone else who wishes to play Siege. You do not own the Shard, therefore, you can not tell others how to play it and expect them to heed your words and do so. You can try to tell someone how you feel Siege is mean't to be played, but ultimately it just becomes your opinion. Some may agree, and some may disagree. We all have opinions and we all choose how to act, and how to react to certain situatons. That, in itself, is the beauty of free will.

Barry Gibb, Blaeke, startle and 2 others like this.
  39. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Did not vote as I would say yes but stealth need a nerf, so if you get to close to players and move, you 50% chances to drop out of hiding unless you have gm stealing/snooping too.

Aelfric likes this.
  40. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

It ain't broke - don't fix it.

Barry Gibb and startle like this.
  41. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

People still have campers?

42. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

I'll give up hide/stealth if they'll code Siege to accept Enhanced Client logins only. :p If i need to explain that to you..well...

startle likes this.
  43. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Once it's the only option just a matter of time before things get made for it ;)

44. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Ahhhhh that explains why I never see anyone when I login to Siege. There all hiding!

45. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

Yes they do, but honestly that was not my point.

46. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Really? Why? Roleplaying? Nostalgia? Or just on a soulstone to say they gained it once..

Kattasrophe likes this.
  47. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Can you still camp in that room in Doom that fills with poison and steal some artifact?

Yes, this thread is now about camping. Way to go Katt, you derailed the thread.

We should get you a trophy for derailing threads. It can be a bronzed rear end of a cat. Then when people ask what it is, you can tell them "Oh, that's my Catasstrophy."

...I don't want to go back to work! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME! NOOOOOoooooooo........!!!!!!

48. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

There's a few bugs with camping..but nothing game breaking or even worthy of exploiting..if anything multi clienting 4-5 vamp form mages and a sampire in that poison room can yield gold..worth more then the Artie's

49. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Multiclienting 6 accounts seems an odd metric to compare against.

Barry Gibb and kelmo like this.
  50. Troll The T Hunter

Troll The T Hunter Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

- if you're a crafter and hide...are you serious?

why wouldnt my crafter NOT have hidding?

Barania likes this.