1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

STORAGE WARS!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Nails Warstein, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Nails Warstein

Nails Warstein Rares Festival Silent Auctioneer
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Patron Ultima Broker

A player deactivates their account, and does not return to Ultima On-line for many years (yet to be determined). At which point, a UO representative (such as a GM or EM) logs in at a set time once a month unique to that shard to auction off the contents of said player's characters' bank boxes, back packs, and worn equipment sight unseen. The UO representative will announce the character's name, the character's age, and account age before the bidding begins. All opening bids begin at 10,000 gold at progressive intervals. Payment can be made in the same form of method as that of spring cleaning, or collection points.

Disclaimer - I readily admit I have no idea if such said concept is possible. This post is purely for entertainment purposes. If a developer would like to indulge us as to the potential for such an enterprising prospect, I would be very grateful. Thank you!

Assia Penryn, jrok512 and Flutter like this.
  2. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Problem. The player may want to come back later on regardless of how long they've been gone.

Other than that it could be a fun idea.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  3. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Most of the MMOs deliberately keep accounts, characters, etc. around in the database precisely because of what Viper09 said. If people quit the game knowing their stuff might be auctioned off at some point, they wouldn't come back.

They would be better off just generating a bunch of stuff and selling it.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  4. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Even though I LOVE that show...and watching it made me wish I had $1000000000000000 to go to those auctions...the reasons Petra gave are just the tip of the iceberg.

I *quit* many years ago, I had TONS of rares and rubble, 9 rift pillars, deamon blood full rubble benches and I just let it fall. All my full soulstones...I lost ALOT...BUT I had banked gold and a few things that were dear to me knowing that if I ever did come back, my characters/items and pets would be right there waiting for me.

If I knew that my stuff would eventually be auctioned off, I wouldn't be here right now....and that's unacceptable. I can't put my finger on why UO is so special...there is no one reason that this *game* is worth coming back to. Everyone has a reason...so it's nice to know that after 3 or 5 or 6 years, you can come back and at least have something.

5. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

*nods*

Multiple RolePlayers on GL either are coming back or are actively contemplating that. Would they even get to the contemplation stage if they knew their stuff had been auctioned off by the manufacturer?

Last night I rezzed a guy, near my house, who told me he was just back after a 7-year hiatus.

The truth is that the returners can reasonably be inferred to be close in number to the leavers. It's just that most of the returners don't post about it, they just come back. So when I see posts about returners, I wonder what the ratio is of those who announce their returns versus those who just return.

How many folks come back after a long break and want to just quietly log in, have fun, and have their characters go about their own business without particularly bothering anyone? Now imagine if, Heaven forbid, they didn't realize their stuff would be rudely and callously auctioned off by the manufacturer, then logged in only to find out that just that had happened.

So, no. The storage wars proposal is really quite terrible.

-Galen's player

LordDrago likes this.
  6. Nails Warstein

Nails Warstein Rares Festival Silent Auctioneer
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Patron Ultima Broker

If players were gone for more than 10 years even, their equipment is most likely obsolete, their rares are probably duped, or near worthless. Most people I know that quit for long periods of time, usually sell or give their stuff away. Now if this post wasn't for entertainment purposes, and was actually possible, I am sure UO could if it really wanted to, just duplicate the belongs of players that quit 10+ years ago, and keep their virtual items in safekeeping for them upon return. Or better yet, only apply this to banned accounts that weren't banned for duping. This way everyone is happy. Isn't that what UO does, try to make everyone happy all the time? :thumbup1:

7. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

A good example of a player who was gone for 10 or more years only to return is our Producer, Jeff Skalski.

His equipment may have been obsolete, but I've got no reason to think his rares, if he had them, were duped. I like, by the way, how you slipped in that someone's rares were "probably duped" if they had been gone for 10 years. This can be taken in 1 of 2 ways. 1 is that someone gone for that long was probably a duper or a hoarder of duped items. I have no reason to think this is correct. 2 is that every rare has been duped. That may be true I guess, but it's never been my impression.

Or, you know, just leave things alone and see if they come back. Requiring EA to dig up the stuff and then duplicate it would appear to be far less-efficient than just letting it gather dust in a warehouse.

Since bolding text makes it correct: Damn straight. Clearly it is entirely inconceivable that someone could be doing more bad things than the one they happened to get hit with the ban stick for. Also if the idea is to prevent other players from purchasing the results of others' not-allowed activities, then what about Scripting? What about scamming other players? What about the other kinds of things a player can be banned for that can, directly or indirectly, result in getting stuff?

Why do we UO players insist upon so-often mistaking what we want with what 'everyone' wants?

-Galen's player

8. Mirt

Mirt Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This is asking for anyone who ever though about coming back getting into to game and going WTF and then rage loging for good. They have said all the time that there is no way for them to verify what these folks have and there would be no way to return it much less trying to find a back up of when they left. While it might sound interesting to you the odds are that it would cut out the returning players which seems to be the bulk of the "new" players coming back. While their things might be out of date at least they still have something to get started with. Also accounts that were banned (as much as it pains me to say due to the history lost) are better to go away completetly because in many cases there were probably connected to folks involved in something like duping or scripting and getting that out of the economy is a good thing.

9. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

If players were gone for more than 10 years even, their equipment is most likely obsolete, their rares are probably duped, or near worthless.

How dare you say something like this. I came back after 5 years, sure my gear was sub-par and what *rares* I had were only priceless to ME..but for you to say such things is very inconsiderate. I still use the exact same gear I used 5 years ago and have no problems doing the things I did back then..other then kill swoop :/

So no my equipment was NOT obsolete my rares were NOT duped or worthless...how dare you suggest such things?

10. jrok512

jrok512 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It would be awesome to see that done to banned accounts.. just throwing my opinion out there. I would also pay more money per account to have this happen in game.

11. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Sure their equipment may be "sub-par" but why should that justify auctioning their stuff? Why must all old rares be duped or near worthless? From what I've seen the older the items are the more valuable they are, at least in terms of rares. The only way I could see this as probably workable is if it's only done to perma-banned accounts, assuming they can never be re-opened.