1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[BUG] Strange EC behavior while using WD Passport Elite

Discussion in 'UO Enhanced Client Discussion' started by Old Man of UO, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I've been having issues with not being able to log in, or the log in server taking one to two minutes to locate the game servers, also getting lag spikes. These were the same problems were described in other posts.

After moving game files, defragging my hard drive and then moving files back, everything was great! I thought that was the key, extreme defragging. After today's Windows update and reboot, the trouble was back.

Long story short, my Western Digital Passport Elite auto-backup program was somehow interfering with the EC client. Whenever I do a manual backup, I turn off the WD auto-backup and forget to restart it. As long as I don't use the WD backup program, EC runs great. Start the WD auto backup, and the trouble starts again.

If you are having trouble logging in, check to see what's running in the background.

2. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

I think I had a similar problem, only on my Mac. I remember having my backup drive plugged in and playing UO and having my hard drive really work. I believe the Time Machine backup software was picking up that the EC was caching a lot or something and was seeing those as changed files.

I went in and told Time Machine not to backup anything in the game folders and it went away.