1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Gardening] Strange Results From Gardening Today...Question

Discussion in 'UO Botany and Nutrition' started by Tomarke, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Tomarke

Tomarke Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran D^A

ok, so I run 5 raised garden beds, most of which give me resources such as vanilla, cocoa, orange petals, etc.

On one bed I had 9 bright green barrel cactus for green thorns. Since I am not normally trying to cross-breed with my resource producing plants one plant will normally pollinate the one next to it and so on. Today however I noticed some strange results that I have never seen before.

Scenario: I have 9 Bright Green Barrel Cactus all cross-pollinated with each other. On collecting the seeds I noticed they weren't stacking but assumed it was just a bug and they would stack when I put them in the seed box so I wasn't really paying attention to which seeds came from which plant. All seeds were bright green but I ended up with 8 Bright Green Ponytail Palm Seeds, 8 Bright Green Water Plant Seeds, 24 Bright Green Small Palm Seeds and the rest were Bright Green Barrel Cactus seeds as they should have been.

Question: Has there been a change that I'm not aware of? Is it possible to breed two plants of the same type and get completely different plants? Several different kind of plants?

I had considered maybe I had messed up and accidentally cross-pollinated with the bed next to it but this was not possible. On one side I had vanilla growing and on the other side I had Cocoa trees growing, neither of which produce pollen. And this was the only bed in the house which had bright green plants growing so I can rule out any of the other plants since all of the seeds produced were bright green.

I am going to try this again and see what happens. Any opinions?

#1 Tomarke, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I'm responding to this because I want to find out if you get an answer. Maybe it needs to be submitted to the bug forum.

3. Tomarke

Tomarke Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran D^A

Ok, so now I am even more confused...

I planted nine more Bright Green Barrel Cactus plants to try to reproduce what happened with the last batch. They are in their own raised garden bed and they are the only bright green plants I am growing. Each one was pollinated by its neighbor and the first one was pollinated by the last one. To my knowledge, since I am pollinating a Bright Green Barrel Cactus with a Bright Green Barrel Cactus I should get Bright Green Barrel Cactus seeds (please correct me if I am wrong). Today was the first day they produced seeds so I took one seed from each plant. This is what I got:

2 Bright Green Bulrushes Seeds
    2 Bright Green Ponytail Palm Seeds
    1 Bright Green Fern Seed
    1 Bright Green Pampas Grass Seed
    1 Bright Green Tribarrel Cactus Seed
    1 Bright Green Rushes Seed
    1 Bright Green Poppies Seed

Notice that these plants did not produce a single Bright Green Barrel Cactus Seed even though this is what both parents were. Is this working as intended?

Would it be too much to ask for someone to try and reproduce my results? I would like to be able to rule out the possibility that it is my house, character or raised garden bed which is bugged.

#3 Tomarke, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Lady Laurel

Lady Laurel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni LOST

It is not your house, character or raised garden bed. This has been an ongoing thing, since 2009, if I remember correctly, with the cactus, it is all random. If you cross barrel cactus, prickly pear cactus or tri-barrel cactus your results are random, that is how I got my colored vanilla plants.

Tomarke likes this.
  5. Tomarke

Tomarke Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran D^A

Thank you, I was unable to find anything on the subject. Most of the web pages I could find on gardening are severely outdated. I guess I will move to a more predictable plant to get my green thorns.

6. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I got O'Hii tree seeds from my cocoa tree this morning. Something is not right.

7. Tomarke

Tomarke Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran D^A

I'm pretty sure that if you plant them they should still produce seeds and resources. I've had this happen as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. kaiya_uo

kaiya_uo Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

9. Bonarz

Bonarz Visitor

Tomarke, I'm not sure why you are bothering to cross polinate them at all to be honest. Let them just polinate themselves. They will continue to produce the green seeds. I am also having issues with this though. I just started into this gardening world. I started with a yellow and a blue barrel cactus, figuring it would make a green one...then I'd mix two of those and get bright green, so I can get the thorns.....Nope! They are producing completely random stuff, and it kind of bothers me to be honest....

10. Tomarke

Tomarke Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran D^A

For green thorns I am growing bright green snake plants. They don't have the randomness that are coded into the barrel cactus.

I cross pollinate because you get a chance for mutation and have a small chance of getting white or black seeds. You don't get this chance when they self pollinate. At least that's what I've gathered from my reading up on the subject, I have yet to see it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Bonarz

Bonarz Visitor

Awesome! Great to know. Thank you. I was a little worried my planting operation was grinding to a halt before it started. I've got the snake plants going, and they are crossing as they should. Nobody likes cacti anyway.... :)