1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Stratics Forums Upgrade Scheduled, 21 February

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Taylor, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Stratics Forums will be undergoing a major upgrade in the near future that may affect aesthetics and features. Most of these changes will be mitigated over time, but we want you to have as much information ahead of time so that you'll know what to expect.

The Challenge: We Were First

Stratics Forums was one of the earliest adopters of "XenForo," a lightweight and cutting-edge forum software designed by former IB developers (i.e., creators of vBulletin). It was only after our migration that other big players followed, including but not limited to: IGN (80 million posts), DigitalPoint (17 million posts), Sony Online Entertainment (e.g., Planetside 2), Red 5 (FireFall), Portalarium (Shroud of the Avatar), etc.

The only drawback to leading this trend is that, as an early adopter, we installed the earliest version of XenForo (version 1.0). We installed several addons, themes, and custom-build functionalities for XenForo 1.0 to ensure that we were providing the best support possible to our community.

In its most recent iteration, XenForo 1.3 (beta) software has been completely rebuilt to improve security, stability, and agility. As a result, many of the earliest themes and addons are no longer compatible with the new template system. Many of these addons have been updated for 1.3 support, but some have not.

The Solution: Research and Testing

In anticipation of our upgrade, we have been researching and testing themes and addons to make the transition as seemless as possible.

What's Staying the Same?

In terms of themes, I will personally be redesigning the UO Classic theme for 1.3 compatibility. The Scroll theme is still supported by the author and is expected to also survive the transition.

In terms of functionality, we expect virtually all front-end features to be upgraded or replaced. We are particularly sensitive to the features offered under our "Stratics Pro" upgrade. These features will be upgraded, but in words of one addon author, "1.1 to 1.3 is a big jump." We'll work through any bugs in conjunction with addon authors--or in some cases, build our own replacement solutions. Should any of these features have temporary outages, we'll be giving all existing Stratics Pro users a free month extension to their subscriptions.

What's Changing?

The biggest change will be the decommissioning of our most popular theme, Animate. The theme author has decided not to provide any updates to the theme. Also, many less popular themes, like Flexile, Blackend, and Class will remain behind.

That being said, I think you'll like our two new default themes even better. In addition to UO Classic and Scroll, we will have a dark and light version of one of the most sophisticated XenForo themes ever build. Both of these themes will allow users to perform on-the-fly color, font, and background changes with the click of a button. You can make the theme look and feel exactly the way you want!

Timeline

I am currently leading the research, testing, and styling progress, which I expect to be completed sometime this weekend. When this is complete, we'll make sure all documentation and customizations are memorialized in preparation from the migration.

On Friday night, 21 February 2014 at around 11:59 PM EST, we will close Stratics Forums and begin the upgrade process. We'll work through the night with hopes of re-opening sometime on Saturday. Throughout this process, you'll be able to follow updates on our Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ accounts.

I Have Questions/Concerns/Ideas!

Please feel invited to voice questions or concerns below. Alternatively, feel free to contact me via private conversation or e-mail: [email protected].

2. Felonious Monk

Stratics Veteran

Shake it! Don't break it!

Taylor likes this.
  3. Taylor

Ha, for sure. Lots of backups first. :)

Queen Mum likes this.
  4. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Taylor, do you know yet if the Tapatalk application will still work with the Stratics forum during and after the upgrade process?

5. Taylor

It definitely will! Already tested this. The updated version of Tapatalk is even better.

6. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Flutter lives on Tapatalk...

Scribbles likes this.
  7. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

what time will it start?

8. Taylor

Friday night, 21 February 2014 at around 11:59 PM EST.

9. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

ahh.. ok. :) thanks taylor!

Taylor likes this.
  10. Speranza

Speranza Slightly Crazed

Looking good! I can't wait to get some more themes. Not sure quark is doing it for me at the moment and I can't stand white backgrounds so the other themes are out :p

AirmidCecht likes this.
  11. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid

Speranza, I kept my dark background but use the purple/wrath to make it more like purple blackend from the previous forums. I've played around with it some and the options to customize our look is way more than we've had. I'd love to see what others start using too. :)

old gypsy likes this.
  • About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!