1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Stratics Transition Timeline

Discussion in 'UHall' started by BlackXGlass, Apr 27, 2015.

1. BlackXGlass

BlackXGlass Visitor

Just wondering if there is any updates as to the progress of transferring all the old Data to the new & Improved Stratics Website .
    I know I am already missing some of the skill guide info as well as the questing information that has not been transferred over yet . I appreciate all the work being done and was just curious as to how long the process is supposed to take . Hopefully none of the data gets lost along the way as there is a ton of usefull info from the old site .
    My characters are kind of on hold until this is completed as much of the info I look at while developing the Characters has not been transferred over yet. It gets done when its done but was hoping for a timeline or update.
    Keep up the great work
    Thx

2. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

You can still access the Old Hunter's Guide . As we go though everything listed there, eventually the old one will be removed from access. The Stratics Volunteers are working as fast as feasible. Thank you for asking!

Everything is still over at the "old" site. You can access all guides and such at stratics.com as we haven't moved the root domain just yet.

Captn Norrington likes this.
  3. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

What skill guides? Just curious, I'm not sure what all is or isn't on the site anymore.

4. Kirthag

Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

5. Lord Taliesin

Lord Taliesin Seasoned Veteran

I'm still getting an invalid certificate warning about stratics, do I need to clear the ole' browser cache or is it an issue with stratics?

6. Kirthag

Try clearing your cache. Our SSL is indeed legit and will not expire for some time.
    You may be getting a warning due to content displaying (most likely images used in siggies and such) that is not secure. That is normal.

To elaborate on the "timeline" question..

the new site (uo2.stratics.com) is in soft-launch phase. kinda equates to a "final beta" phase in software development. things are there, being populated, but there still might be changes to the overall site during this time.

when it is complete (functionality & bulk of old data content), a formal announcement will be made to alert the community as to the exact date the stratics.com domain will be flipped to the new interface.
    another announcement will be made when we are ready to close down and archive the old data content.

Because we are a group of volunteers, we cannot set hard-dates for planning things like this. We have to be flexible and move as best as we can based on the time available from our volunteers.

7. BlackXGlass

BlackXGlass Visitor

Thx a bunch Kirthag
    I didn't realize the old domain was still active

8. BlackXGlass

BlackXGlass Visitor

Totally understandable and again , Greatly appreciated! All the more so when you consider this is all being done by volunteers

9. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Why can't you do both and let people pick which format they want to look at.

10. Kirthag

Right now, we have several portions of Stratics...
    • stratics.com = our main and root domain
    • uo.stratics.com = the old data site
    • uo2.stratics.com = the new infrastructure

When the new infrastructure is completed, then we will have this:
    • stratics.com = main site and root domain on the new infrastructure
    • uo.stratics.com = the old data site
    • uo2.stratics.com = an alias pointing to the main site & root domain
    • old.stratics.com = the old site
    Eventually, the old.stratics.com will be archived and closed down.
    uo.stratics.com & uo2.stratics.com will both be redirected to stratics.com at that time as well.

This is not something that will be completely quickly due to the nature of the old data site. It is because of the old data site that we have been working on ways to modernize the UO content for years... this is not a new project by any means.

11. Kirthag

The old data site (uo.stratics.com) is run on old software that is no longer supported, cannot be upgraded, and was obsolete in 2006; the last version of the database that is behind the old data was commercially released in 2012 - but the link is dead and the original developer has not replied to my inquiries. That leaves us with something that any modern host almost refuses to work with.

Because of this, the old data (which includes the Hunter's Guide, calculators, the old atlas) was slowly being migrated into another framework - but that, too, is built on old tech which is no longer supported, cannot be upgraded, and went obsolete in 2010. That is the current site at stratics.com. We are lucky to have a very customer-oriented host, but there is a lot they will not support in our architecture, thus we are modernizing it. This means moving the information, cleaning up and organizing that information, and putting it into a framework that is flexible, modern and works.

When I came onboard as VP of Publishing in 2012, one of my primary projects was to modernize all of Stratics. That is again my primary project as Publisher and something I am working on, as a volunteer, as my time allows - with others who are helping me as their time alloows. I do have a time-line - as flexible as it is - to have everything completed before the holidays of this year. I cannot get more specific than that. If it is sooner, awesome!

Kayhynn and Zuckuss like this.