1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Blacksmithing] Sturdy Shovels

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Dizzy, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Benefactor Treasure Hunters

I have enough.

When you get an LBOD for, say, 10 normal small weapon, do you just throw them away? Or is there a use I've overlooked?

2. Percivalgoh

Stratics Veteran

I don't know what everyone else does but I bribe it up to an excellent weapons LBOD then fill it.

3. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran

The gargoyles pickaxe or mining gloves have any value? I realize the prospectors tool might, but I have a lot of those, too.

4. Tuan

Tuan Slightly Crazed

I do a lot of mining. I generally fill them and turn them in, in the hope that I get a better deed when I do, so that I can then make something for PoF or a copper hammer or something.

5. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran

Ok, that makes sense.

How do you track of your bods? I have like 9 bod books, and no easy way to see if I have all the necessary smalls to fill a large without going through each and every bod book. There used to be a uoassist agent that would let you export your bods to a program, but I can't find it anymore and I'm using the ec client now.

6. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

As long as your miner has the ability to kill elementals, the gargoyle's pickaxes should be part of his/her arsenal. I mine almost exclusively with GPAs, and often in dangerous locales.

Typically, I take 6-8 GPAs, 1-2 prospector's tools and 1-2 sturdy tools on a trip. How I use them is as follows:

I dig once with a sturdy tool.
    If the results is colored ore, I decide whether I need that ore, the next ore up, or two ores up, more.
    • If I want that ore, I continue with the sturdy tools (doesn't happen much)
    • If I want the next ore up, I switch to Gargoyle's pickaxes (With the chance of even more ore from the elementals).
    • If I want the ore two steps up, I use a prospector's tool then go to the GPA.
    If the ore's iron, I use the Prospector's tool, which gives me a 1-color elevation and tells me what the ore type is.
    • If the new ore type is Dull Copper (most common, as half of all sites are iron), depending on if I need DC or Shadow Iron more, I will either stay with a sturdy shovel for DC or switch to the GPA for SI.
    • All other ore types, I use the GPA - even if the result from the PT is shadow iron, I get more than enough shadow iron from elevating Iron/DC to Shadow with the PT/GPA combination anyway. Plus, I like fighting ore elementals (heck, I mine mostly in Ilshenar for the thrill of fighting paragon ore elementals).

7. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Dizzy, what I do with my BODs to better sort them involves 9 paragon chests - one for each ore color (including iron).

Then, in the iron chest, I put 8 backpacks, while each of the colored chests get 3 backpacks. Each backpack is engraved with a BOD type (ringmail, Chainmail, Platemail, and for iron, the 5 weapon LBODs as well).

Each backpack then has 6 BOD books in it, 1 each for 10, 15 & 20 normal LBODS as the top row of 3, then the bottom row of 3 books being 10, 15 & 20 exceptional count. Each is named specifically for their count, quality, and LBOD type (and, if not dyed with the book covers, the ore type is specified in the name as well).

Outside the backpacks inside each chest, there is usually a book for the non-combinable small BODs.

With this system, you end up with each book having only one specific type of LBOD, and only smalls that will fit with it. As everything is labeled (and the chests color-coded), you know exactly where to look for a BOD.

The downside is that you need to make or buy about 205 BOD books for the storage system itself, plus 32 backpacks (24 of which you will probably dye ore colors), and get 9 colored chests of the appropriate colors - just for the smith BODs.
    The same can be done for tailor BODs, but only requires 4 wooden chests (3 dyed to leather colors), 5 backpacks per chest, and a 5th chest with 8 backpacks for the tailor BODs.

8. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran

Wow, Basara, those two posts should be in a faq somewhere.

9. Percivalgoh

Stratics Veteran

I bribe up the normal weapons LBODs to exceptional and for the normal wepaons SBODs I buy the weapons from the smith to fill the SBOD and turn it in for another. I throw away lots of shovels but the +5 mining gloves I use to make armor for my smith and treasure hunter

10. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran

I'd guess you'd have to throw them away, there's so many of them. Good ideas.

What do you do for cloth bods?

11. Armani Exchange

Armani Exchange Seasoned Veteran

If you're willing to sell your cloth bods I'll pay 3k per small bod

12. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran

So if I had a SBOD for 10 normal cloth skullcaps, you'd give me 10k?

Why?

hungry4knowhow likes this.
  13. Armani Exchange

how did you work 10k out, I said 3k

14. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran

Heh. Sleep deprivation. SO you'd give me 3k for each cloth sbod? Why?

15. Tuan

Tuan Slightly Crazed

He'll fill em, and turn em in, in the hopes that he can get a LBOD for a horned/barbed kit.

16. Armani Exchange

17. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran

Excellent. What do you do with cloth LBODs then? Throw them away?

18. Armani Exchange

Yes sir, nothing you can do with them, maybe the clothing bless deed ones might be worth keeping though

19. Armani Exchange

Yes sir, nothing you can do with them, maybe the clothing bless deed ones might be worth keeping though

20. Tuan

Tuan Slightly Crazed

4x 20 normal cloth LBOD = spined kit. As needed I will fill the clothing bless deed ones. Otherwise, yeah I just toss them too.