1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: Story Arc Events need to be Scripted and Instanced

Discussion in 'UHall' started by deadite, Mar 29, 2008.

1. deadite

deadite Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend It's My Birthday

I know, I know... I said a dirty word... "instanced"

But imagine if, for the Inu type plot quests, the devs set up a scripted instance. There's an entry point that is available for a certain period of time. You gather some friends and hit a private instance, or join a public instance that regularly resets on a timer.

Everyone gets to experience the event. Everyone gets to follow the plot. Everyone who wants to enjoy the event can do so on their own schedule (within the available time period - a week or two).

I'm not saying that all events should be scripted and instanced. Smaller quests or seer type events should continue to be done live... even spontaneously if they were common enough. But the big story arcs that get built up by the devs need to be engineered so that everyone who *wants* to take part *can* take part. That seems very obvious to me.

Comments?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I like your suggestion...

3. Guest

Guest Guest

*votes no*

Events, big or small, are generally an excuse for whole shards to get together in one area and take part in building the canonical lore of the land. I feel that instancing them takes away the primary reason for them to exist ... if they were to instance them, I feel it would be better to design them to simply be new permanent content.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

The Ricardo trial with its squelching made a really nice compromise that allowed people to party chat without spamming the whole scene, but that only works for what is essentially a scripted show, its hard to get people to behave without taking away all their freedom. Perhaps the Britannia theater group could be encouraged to replay the experience on the test center afterwards?

Based on what's been said and what some of us who attended the stress test last year believe is going to happen, the event tonight presents the background for what will actually be a two week continuous event. I can't comment on the special reward for people showing up last night/tonight ... I honestly have no idea what that is about.

(by the way, although I have no idea what was really going on in chaotic parts of the scripted event and although there may have been some optimizations made over the intervening time, I would warn that there was some extreme lag at some points ... the semi-scripted part really did stress the clients/server to their limits)

5. deadite

deadite Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend It's My Birthday

Yeah, I did think the replay schedule of the Ricardo stuff was pretty nice. It gave everyone a chance to check it out. The squelching was also a bonus.

Now if they would only take it a step further...