1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Switching characters without logging out

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Redxpanda, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Is there a way to do this or a reason why we can't. It's not a big pain to keep typing the password over and over but it would go a long way if we could log to character selection instead of all the way out.

2. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

/signed

They should get rid of the logout timer from autodefending as well. If you didn't initiate combat with a player, you should be able to log out without hassle.

3. Phangs_of_Phage

Phangs_of_Phage Journeyman

No thats to prevent abuse. I know you probably dont understand half the game but its a bad idea

4. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Care to elaborate on how me running home from a spawn cause I realize my macer aint gonna cut it, and I need my mage is abuse?
    Or is it the dreaded overpowering ability to quickly switch from Smith to tailor, even tho smith was pecked by a mongbat on the way in the house???

No he had it right, as long as you were not aggro towards a PLAYER...where's the abuse? and what is the abuse lol
    I can multiclient all I want to, but I cant switch chars on one account without a time out?
    I disagree, so I too must understand less than half the game...

Ludes likes this.
  5. Phangs_of_Phage

Phangs_of_Phage Journeyman

I will concede. I did not see the player part of the post.

Uriah Heep likes this.
  6. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

And I apologize foroverreacting :oops:

7. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Well, the bolding of player was my first clue....

Just sayin....

Leather Lucy likes this.
  8. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

We usually seem to disagree on a good deal of stuff.... but you are 100% correct here :)

Eaerendil likes this.
  9. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Yes to both of these... Logout should return you to the Character Select screen, and 1 hp damage from a mongbat or sewer rat shouldn't force someone to sit through a logout timer (although it is nice in the EC with Pinco's UI to have it run a timer before logging you out so it's the 2 minute timer instead of 5).

10. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I was doing several things yesterday. Making pots, gathering ingredients and crafting and i realized how i have gotten so used to just typing that password over and over. I think adding a sub screen after logging in would help this. This would be the screen you go back to when you log and from there you can select shard/character again. This should also reduce the pounding that the log in server is taking.

11. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I'm sure it's just a matter of how the client and server interface with each other... but yeah, it would definitely be nice.

12. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Would be nice but the "save password" in UO does not work so I don't know how they would do this.

13. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

Well, it's all up to how they have it programmed... the server already knows you are logged in when you are playing... all it would have to do is tell the login server that you were already connected too. It would have to be server-side, and expect only server-side information incoming, but most modern MMOs don't require you to log out to switch characters (or servers for that matter).

14. Xalan Dementia

Xalan Dementia Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

i have had a couple times where i will log out a character, log in to another character on the same account and actually have my first character still standing in my house, for about 2mins.

But yes, absolutely would be great if the flagging timer for non pvp could be adjusted in someway without breaking anything else.

15. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

i'm thinking this config line was disabled for those that share their account, multiple users, single acct, a needed level of security. and it worked.
    Now, using a special measure...
    Say, accessible thru an acct. management setting, enabling the toggle? Client side only is unsafe - like "remember me, remember my password" used by many sites, exc. an extra level of initial security configuration. Many users have their own acct now (or i hope they do), unlike earlier UO days when it was not uncommon to share.

16. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

You lost me here.
    If they are sharing an acct. then all users of that account have to have the password already...
    tbh, I don't see a security problem with letting people changechars without re-logging...anyone who logged in the first place has the password. :eyes:

17. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

It's been several years, but i 'think' it had more to do with "friends" of the users, since they could come later and not need a login. They were indeed malicious in a few actions and people asked for a security measure, Twice i think this was visited.
    But like you, there are many among us that don't need it, or don't need it anymore. When I go on holiday, i'm glad nobody can just insta-log into my acct, but most of the time it's just an annoyance (no kids/other users here)

ot-btw, Heep has a 2012 album release

18. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Okay I see what you mean now. But what we (or me) are talking of, isnt saving your password. It's just when you log a char out, you go back to the character selection screen, instead back to the login screen.

O f course, if you log a char out, and arent coming back in as someone else, then you just hit quit and you're in the clear, just like now.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  19. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Yes. It would even be nice if they would give you an option on the pop up window when you click log out. Instead of just cancel and ok can be a third button that says switch or something like that.

Samaira, christy1221 and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  20. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Excellent idea!

21. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

I like the "Log Out" and "Quit" as separate functions. There's also the condition of lost connection, IP or server down unexpectedly.
    Right now a lost conn automatically acts as a "quit". A time-out period, (like the inactivity timer), except client side? in case you just walk away

22. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

What he said.

23. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

I agree it wouldf be nice to just go back to the character selection page rather then have to do the whole login again... I am already in the game.. so i have entered the password... why make me do it over and over on the same account. Now i can see the login if I change accounts.

24. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I think you're talking about something like letting your kid (or a friend) play on one character on your account that he can't do much with (maybe there's no house for that account on that shard or something and the character's wearing junk armor and stuck in Haven). You know that if your kid hits Quit and OK, he's logged out and if he doesn't know your password, the worst that will happen is that UO will sit there at the log-in screen and eventually your computer will overheat because that screen is such a memory hog. But your kid can't log back in and get to any other characters because he doesn't know the password.

25. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

having a quit button, vs log-out.
    yeah, If they that had that today, I think it'd be good, kinda like a fast log-in.
    The other issue I had was about involuntary stops... ip goes down, "lost connection" issues, or when such as when you just get up and walk away -
    At what point does it do a complete quit?

another issue is 'scripted'. i think right now if they get booted, they're stuck at the login screen?

26. Barok

Barok Grand Inquisitor

Having to log in with password to switch characters is an extra level of protection so if someone nasty finds an account still logged in they can only strip one character instead of all of them.

27. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Who would leave their account logged in at a place where you would have to worry about someone doing something to it? Anyone who does that can't possibly blame anything but themselves

28. Barok

Barok Grand Inquisitor

Drunken roommates that you would normally trust.

29. rareitem

rareitem Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Other games like AoC already use that system, when you logout, you dont get disconected you just go to character selection screen so no need to retype password to change character. I dont see that having to retype password everytime you want to change character would add a level of security. Anyway as an old player I asume that there is a reason for that, Im thinking in scripters that would find another way to exploit the game.