1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Talk about pushy neighbors

Discussion in 'UO Homes and Castles' started by Arabella, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Arabella

Arabella Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I logged in this morning and this is what I found in my house!
    [​IMG]

2. feath

feath Guest

at first, i was amused, as it looked like an illutional house.
    but looking at it, it looks more like he's somehow overlapped your house?
    can you get into his house? can he get into his?
    perhaps a (heheh) call to a gm?

is that YOUR house sign, or his? wow, this thing is confusing

3. Arabella

Arabella Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry to confuse ya! I was on test center this morning working on a house design, when I switch to Great Lakes and logged in I found that in my house. So it was just a glitch I suppose, but I was working on a 18 x18 so I dont know where the castle came into play. I logged in and out and everything is normal. That was my house sign btw :)

4. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

That used to happen to me on Atlantic when I went from fel to tram.

5. Desperado_SE

Desperado_SE Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Same thing here as Patty, except mine was on Catskills and it was always at the Honor moongate in Ilsh. For some reason a house would always pop up half finished there around the gate when I would go there.

6. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I've seen this happen before. Usually along server lines in my experiance. A few years back this happened when my neighbor and I were checking out what size houses were placed in our locations in fel. When we came back to tram the fel houses stayed on the screen and melded with the houses in tram. I was able to open and close the door of the other house that went though the main downstairs room of my villa at the time. I think I had to restart my client to make it go away. Annoying, but kinda cool to look at at the same time.

7. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

went into sheer and utter panic one day because of this.... had been messing with a design on test and logged into Legends to my little Skara house and there were walls blocking entry in the open design.... this was during a time of many hacking posts so naturally that was my first thought.. talk about a heart stopper... flipped around checking accounts, changing passwords, sending IM's to everyone I knew to please check my houses.... I still forget sometimes to close the client down after a test center run, difference is now I know not to panic ;)

8. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Hehe, I get this doing fel/tram. Usually scouting fel for idocs, when I hit the yew area my keep there is blocking all the lil houses. Can be annoying when you have to run for your life suddenly and your own house walls are blocking your exit. :D

9. Same thing happens to me every time I go to TC then back to Sonoma. I have to log out and back to fix it.

10. Jafanarae

Jafanarae Guest

I've found this annoying at times and really helpful at other times... the ghost house can be a great template for exactly where and what to place on the other facet!

11. this happens alot to my mother and husbands castles they end up with each others castles well pieces of it in the other if they recall to either one from the other as well as some of the nieghbours houses at times. We assume its because there houses are in the same spot just different facets.

12. Bodhi

Bodhi Guest

Cant remember for how long people have been complaining about not being able to use the indoor courtyard from a castle, now that they get it, still not good enough... Always complaining .... :p j/k

13. feath

feath Guest

I was like 'what!? What!? we can use the courtyard now?' ... then realized what thread this was.

*creeps off*:loser:

14. Old Wolf

Old Wolf Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd respond.

What happens is the house is stored in your UO cache at that lfacet/x/y location on the other server you were on. Then when you switch to your shard, for some stupid reason, the client neither clears it's cache between shard switches, nor identify houses by location AND shard (note that I'm talking about the UO client cache, not the server). This leaves you with the old cached house, plus any houses on the new shard... and you get crazy building combinations!

This is worst when your flipping through multiple shards checking the same place. I did this to see if I could place a castle at a certain spot after a house fell. I thought that I might find the castle there on another shard to answer my question.... big mistake, lol. Every 3-4 shards, I'd have to close and reopen UO to clear the cache, otherwise I had to walk through a maze of broken houses that my client wouldn't even let me pass through (despite the fact that I knew they weren't there!).

It's a bug they really should fix, but I imagine it will never be fixed. :(

15. Scratch

Scratch Guest

you can change the housing cache in your options
    just change it to 0
    this was told to me years ago by a gm when i suffered from this

16. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I had it happen to me this morning in Ilshenar while on Origin. Was exploring near the Honor gate and all of a sudden stumbled upon what at first glance appeared to be a custom house in the elven style. Ran all the way around it and boy was it a mess. Have no clue how a caching issue like this would pop up in Ilshenar but it did.

17. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I occasionally see a ghost of MY OWN HOUSE overlaid on the entrance road to Mistas (corresponding area in Trammel - the Yew Crossroads near the cemetary) - only due to elevation differences, my house is floating in the air!