1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tamer Event...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by IPlayUOTOOMuCH, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Seems like this is a tamer only event...esp ppl who have the Greater Dragon. If you dont have this yer pretty much SOOL. It is possible to kill the darkwisps with other then tamer but, most of the other spawn is very hard to kill with a melee ore mage temp.

2. [​IMG] ... I have not seen this to be so ...

3. I guess playing on a low population shard like Siege... it may be different. I could see it being easier with more players around.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I guess playing on a low population shard like Siege... it may be different. I could see it being easier with more players around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have my 7x gm archer on Atlantic having a great time, I don't think I'll be back to siege with its current player base.

5. <blockquote><hr>

I guess playing on a low population shard like Siege... it may be different. I could see it being easier with more players around.

[/ QUOTE ]

pfffft !
    theres a subtle difference between "can see" and "am imagining"(aka "dreaming")
    [​IMG]

6. angelus aconitum

angelus aconitum Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

<blockquote><hr>

Seems like this is a tamer only event...esp ppl who have the Greater Dragon. If you dont have this yer pretty much SOOL. It is possible to kill the darkwisps with other then tamer but, most of the other spawn is very hard to kill with a melee ore mage temp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use a pixie swatter on the fallen angels and a mystic, vanquishing or power weapon on the berzerker and you will do fine.
    The fallen angels hit pretty hard though, so you have to run alot and they spam poison on you .... strong poison, so either use cleans by fire or pots. I fail sometimes with healing the poison.
    I have also seen mages doing very high damage with flame strike, so I think fire damage is the best against the angels, dark wisps and the others.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

You want things to be easy on Siege? [​IMG]

8. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I play my archer, I use a wildfire bow on the Fallen and Dryad on the others. I get plenty of looting rights.

9. I found tamers to be one of the worst characters to play at the event. Yeah my pets kill stuff easier than most but I seem to see the grey screen more frequently. One reason is that people seem to enjoy bringing fetid esences around tamers and with the area damage, reaggro against the tamer and bam dead.

Also a lot of the stuff hits HARD. My tamer, who has a fairly decent suit but lacks resists, gets beat to a pulp by just about everything as opposed to warriors and established mages with capped resists etc.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, on Siege I would indeed use my tamer not only cuz that´s my best bet there to be able to deal with the spawn but also it gives me the best chance to survive a PK.

On Europa on the other hand I do just fine with my archer even when I´m alone there for a while.

But on Siege a tamer or a small/larger group would be the best alternative I guess...

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I use a chiv swords dexxer and I have not had any problems. I got the special loot from everything that drops it so far. Hell yesterday alone I pulled 3 berserker scythes in the small amount of time I played.

12. BadManiac

BadManiac Guest

Actaully My rather mediocre chiv/bushido archer outguns the greater dragons all the time, against most stuff. Sure they can tank better, but they don't deal nearly as much damage. And even then I don't do anywhere NEAR as much damage as some dexxers with pixie swatters! I have virtually NO chance against an angel solo, I need someone to get it's attention, 2 hits and I'm monochrome, and I have all 70's. Yet I se people soloing them all the time meelee.

So bottom of the foodchain just above taste id'ers are tamers, then archers and mages, and kings of the hill are invulnerable immortal meelee dexxers. :/

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a pixie swatter and all 70s and can't solo those damned fallen warriors close but not quite I would have to run back and heal for sure.

Your only real hope is to use orange and trinsic petals pots and be careful the whole time.

But I agree the dexxers are the top guns in this fight with archers at an equal because they can stay distanced which is crucial at this point.

14. I've done this event on a tamer, necro/mage and dexer.

You're REALLY far off on this. You may not have a char build that does well on this event, but that doesn't mean other people aren't successful with similar builds.

On my tamer, I've been running beetle/bake rather than the dragon. The dragon is definitely best for berzerkers (for a tamer at least), but beetle/bake is really fun in this event.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Fallen Angels have 90% Phys Res/0% Fire Resist/50s Cold Resist/50s Poison Resist/80s Energy Resist if i remember right. Great Wyrms don't do so good at damaging them because they do 100% Physical Damage with Melee, which does about 16 damage a hit with a Fully Trained Great Wyrm. Only time a Great Wyrm does alot of damage to a Fallen Angel is with it's Firebreath.

Pixie Swatter is a Weapon of Bane against Fallen Angels, not only does it hit them in their' Slayer Vulnerability, it also hits them in their' weakest Resist. The rumor about Bird Slayer Talismans working on Ethereal Warriors/Fallen Angels appears to be false, i noticed no more damage with one on when wielding the Overseer Sundered Blade. Fallen Angels hit Melee Warriors who are in all 70's Resists hard, high 30s to 40s damage. A GM Armored Swampy or Paroxysmus' Swamp Dragon can help make them easier (Although i don't recommend riding a Paroxy Swampy, there's still a bug to where they can be permanently destroyed if a Monster/Player casts Dispel/Mass Dispel on them).
    The only Melee Warrior Template that can reliably tank a Fallen Angel is a Necro Warrior, which if they're using a Pixie Swatter, they'd still have problems with Stamina after getting hit. My Necro/Swordsman has GM Focus, is in Vamp Form and wears a Ring of the Vile, and after getting hit by a Fallen Angel, his Stam drops alot, making him swing real slow with the Pixie Swatter. Although, Pixie Swatter does 160s damage to them a hit after i Corpse Skin them, making the Fallen Angel have -15 Fire Resist.

16. While I see alot of people using tammers. I have been there on my spellweaver/mage and my chiv/bush dexer and I am doing great. I can't solo the fallen warriors but I can get looting rights on them and solo the rest of the spawn. Have no clue about the deamons GL still has not seen them. You just have to mess around with your temp and try out different weapons till you find what works for you.

17. mrarsonal

mrarsonal Guest

2 words... stealth ninja

18. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

[​IMG] ... I have not seen this to be so ...

[/ QUOTE ]So says the tamer...

19. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Also a lot of the stuff hits HARD. My tamer, who has a fairly decent suit but lacks resists, gets beat to a pulp by just about everything as opposed to warriors and established mages with capped resists etc.

[/ QUOTE ]Leave your luck suit at home and wear your 70's suit like the non-tamers have to. Which would survive better? An overpowered dragon with 1000+hp and sky high resists or a melee warrior with only 70's max resists and about 120-140 hp? The choice is easy.

20. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I used my tamer for the first day or 3 just because i wanted payback on the fairy dudes. It became a pain in the butt because the wisps and fetids retarget alot when they do the aoe spells. Also, people love to use your dragon as a tank and lead stuff to it or wait for you to attack something and then jump on it and get looting rights. I switched back to my swordsman and use a mystic broadsword on the bezerkers (Armor ignore FTW) and the soul seeker on everything else. I am doing much better now.

21. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Also, people love to use your dragon as a tank and lead stuff to it or wait for you to attack something and then jump on it and get looting rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it comes full circle. I remember when tamers could walk right into a dungeon/spawn point with as many dragons as they could tame and completely take over.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd use any char that has hiding or magery, lol, for real. Tamer, mage, archer, warrior, bard, whatever. The Fallen have 1000 str, 50 anat, 100 tact, and a base damage range of 25-25 (they pretty much always do the same damage, in melee). That's 125 damage a hit in melee before resists are considered. They do 50/50 phys and energy, so if you have 70 in both, they do 38 a hit to you in melee (more likely 44 when they curse your energy down to 60). Then they'll do maybe 18-20 damage with flamestrike, and they can cast flamestrike a few times in a row rather fast, and from a few screens. Basically, never be satisfied with less than 40 hitpoints. Run until safe, hide, or exit. Hahaha.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

I tried both my tamer and my archer ...... and honestly My Archer Rocks... stealth archer for the win!..... the tamer.... well with those crummy Essences always coming over from 3 screens away or getting 4 of them lured on you there is NO way to stand and heal your dragon with 4 of them and a fallen on it.... you can't stay close enough to heal the poison and stuff off those essences will kill you in seconds flat... so no I thought having a tamer there stunk..

24. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Also, people love to use your dragon as a tank and lead stuff to it or wait for you to attack something and then jump on it and get looting rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it comes full circle. I remember when tamers could walk right into a dungeon/spawn point with as many dragons as they could tame and completely take over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not recall such a time

25. Stigmatas

Stigmatas Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Your not an old vet then :p

It has indeed come full circle. How sweet it is.

Tamers still have the advantage in many situations, but at least now melee'ers and mages are on par if not (in certain situations) beyond the power of a tamer.

There is a lot of tamer angst leftover from the pre AoS period due to the reasons he stated. Tamers, with no armor or weapons, only clothing, ruled over Sosaria. Many of them let you know it too. No more.

I'd have to agree though, that my tamer is my least favorite template to take into the Rift. Even with the new pet AI changes, those Fetids suck. At least playing a tamer in situations like this now requires some skill.

I can't think of a period in UO's history that PVM style hunting templates have ever been more balanced. Each fulfills it's role for any high end pvm these days.

26. It's not an event for tamers, they die a lot. It's an event for vanq bows.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

I've taken tamers plural:- mage-tamers, discord-tamer, even unstoned peace to try a peace-tamer.

I've also taken an archer, a chiv/swords/parry/dexer and a weaver/discord/mage. The archer with vanq bow &amp; the discord/weaver are both handy to be sure, but...

I've actually had the most success with my ninja stealther simply trailing a zerker and looting the threads/planeswords/planeshields from the corpses it leaves behind in its wake.

For the Shadowlords, Armageddon can be cast in animal form. Think in terms of "Boom!" &amp; scamper off to hide/stealth, then drop earth ellies - repeat as necessary.

10+ Cloaks of Corruption, 100's of swords/shields, 100+ threads, the odd helpful hci/deci jewel and all with zero taming skills or pets required.

28. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I agree....

The Tamers can tank the fallens, but are susceptible to the essences...

The Dexxers can take the wisps and the essences, but have to hit and run the fallen...

The Archers can add in damage from range, but often need the other two to help should a creature target them.

The most successful times I've had in Moonglow have been in a group (partied or not) with 2 tamers, an archer and my swords paladin (using the UBWS Pixie Swatter). I cross-heal the archer (and we both heal the tamers, if the essences get too close), the tamers hit us and the greater dragons with greater heals, as they can manage. For the most part, we hold our territory, even rez the unfortunate - but if one of us drops, it typically triggers a chain reaction where there is soon a grey robe for each of us. Typically, it's when we get 5 or more foes on us at once.

I don't know about other shards, but Lake Austin has become the most selfless &amp; combat-cooperative I've seen in over 5 years of playing there. I've yet to see someone complain that someone jumped in on "their kill" - in fact, there's been a lot of "TY" messages, as nearly everything is a LOT more survivable if two people (or more) are hitting it, instead of just one.

29. I've managed to solo every creature there with my archer. It's especially easy to do when you can manage to get Honor on them. I never even thought about bringing my tamer out.

I've seen just about every template there, and for the most part, most are fairly successful. Some die more than others, but I think that's more due to inexperience than the template.