1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

taming magical baddies

Discussion in 'UO Tamer' started by RazicGL, Mar 24, 2015.

1. RazicGL

RazicGL Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Hi there been outta action for several years on my tamer so my old pets are Ok. My Gdrag is a 4.4 so he fine but my rune beetle and bake only come on at 3.1 each... want a bit more punch as I like hunting with that combo. I put a suit together then head out last night . Gosh darn it I tried about 6 times to tame a rune beetle and it chewed me up and spat me out each time. Granted suit needs changing no so I got all 70 resists but I remember I had SW back in the day so would tame with ethereal voyage. Not got. It.now.so what do you guys do to tame them? And do you smash em up first?? Ta.

2. Lord GOD(GOD)

Lord GOD(GOD) Lore Keeper

Personally I just lead tame with a 3 line macro in the classic client (Use Skill Taming, Wait For Targ, Last Targ), once the attempt starts stay 3+ tiles ahead, and use lesser heal. If you get hit physically with armor corruption then pre cast greater heal and use lesser in between until it wears off. I can't remember if you need to beat them down, but if you don't then no, as I think it gives additional skill loss like parra or peace Taming.

3. RazicGL

RazicGL Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Thank you. I'll keep trying.

4. drcossack

drcossack Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

For Rune Beetles? You do not. However, I like to do it anyway, for everything I tame. They move much slower at low health, which makes staying ahead of them more manageable (especially applicable for greaters, so you don't get mauled by the combo of a physical attack & firebreath) and, if they have a breath attack (*cough* greaters *cough*), you'll take a lot less damage from it.

5. Marisa Kirisame

Marisa Kirisame Seasoned Veteran

But rune beetles have magery, right? How do you keep away while lead taming if they cast para or poison. on you?

Also as I heard peace gives no extra penalty, is it right?

6. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Im not a tamer but ain't there some honor trick or something?

7. Marisa Kirisame

Honor is but u don't wanna waste it.

Messy boy likes this.
  8. drcossack

drcossack Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Peace does not, Paralyzing them does.

And yes, rune beetles have Magery. You also have...I think it's 7 tiles before you're too far away to continue taming? I just stay a few steps ahead while they're slowed to a crawl. If they cast on me, it doesn't bother me at all. I just heal through it, and Paralysis never lasts long on me because the AI is dumb and keeps attacking.

9. Giles

Giles Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

try using 60% rune beetle protection tally

10. Marisa Kirisame

Its not the problem, its the darned paralyze spell!
    I guess I could bring orange petals and trapped boxes (break para), but its far easier to just get peace from a soulstone. Or just bring a bard friend from a guild.

11. RazicGL

RazicGL Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I must say I am finding this rather hard... The blighters are freezing me then toasting me up... think I will train peace lol. Second thoughts I will stone on sw and use ethereal voyage hehe.

12. Messy boy

Messy boy Adventurer

I like to use two bakes on a dragon first, honor dragon and say "all kill" after you kill a few dragons like maybe fifty you get a lot of honour and you click your star gump select honor select beetle and you get like maybe fifty seconds where they won't attack, so tame, fail, tame, fail, tame, fail, RUN!

13. Marisa Kirisame

Honor is a waste on anything except GDs or when you need to single a bosses' backup. Ether voyage has a cooldown so iunno. Trapped boxes are the best bet against para.

14. Lord GOD(GOD)

Lord GOD(GOD) Lore Keeper

Could just stone on resist spells.

15. Marisa Kirisame