1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tax increase for new payments

Discussion in 'UHall' started by G.v.P, Aug 13, 2011.

1. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I was looking at the new billing site and now I have to pay $3 tax for $59.99 / 6 months. I never had to pay tax before (live in VA). What's up with that?

2. jojo_la

jojo_la Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Same thing in Florida.

3. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

hmm maybe its a error? I would report it or call and ask

4. RedEmbers

RedEmbers Guest

I think they passed an internet sales tax lately,if not it may be because they're passing it soon as it looks inevitable.

5. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Hmmm I'll have to look at the fine print ;P...hasn't changed for me since 1999 ;o

6. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

By the way, if you try to look it up at EA:

Answer

Why am I being charged sales tax on my UO subscription?

>>
    8936 of 31015 people found this answer helpful.
    QUESTION

Why can't I find my answer?
    ANSWER

This FAQ has been moved or is no longer available. Please utilize the search bar above to search for your answer.

====
    lol....

7. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

The old site started telling me about a year ago I had to pay a tax for Colorado but the dollar amount for said tax always came out as $0.

8. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable

Umm How can they charge a sales for a State EA is not located in?

How can we be sure that the appropreiate state gets the tax that is collected?

However NOWHERE does that include serve access. Which basicly what you are paying for.

Secondly if tax is supposted to be collected on my UO account which EA HAS NOT collected. According to Oklahoma tax law if EA was SUPPOSED to be charging me sales tax all along then I am REQUIRED TO PAY THE TAX!

Not gonna happen I'm not paying the tax if EA didn't bother to collect it, it ain't my problem.

P.S. If ya'll don't here from me in six months please send you correspondance to the Oklahoma Department of Corrections....ROTFLMAO

9. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The California sales tax applies to all sales of tangible goods, but does not apply to services.

10. Cirno

Cirno Purple Pony Princess
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Isn't there a separate tax on all internet sales, that's inconsistent between states?

11. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Don't worry we'll send you letters!

12. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I have to pay 5 bucks tax per account in Kansas.

13. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Yes, I'm pretty sure each state handles it differently. All I really know about gaming tax, from reading, is the 17.5% VAT Europeans have to pay, and how much of an upswing that was. But from what I remember, players have had to pay a tax on UO at least since Mythic moved to Fairfax, VA. And that thread has some good, old, information about tax rates:

From 02-11-2008, "Guest" post (a copy and paste of the then-current official FAQ, which is now blank at EA's support site):

I guess the question is what changed for those states and provinces not originally listed. The Streamlined Sales Tax initiative is still going strong, with an update in June at the latest. Hm.

14. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Bad enough that we in the UK have to pay £9.99 a month because EA doesn't believe in currency conversion, now theres a £1.66 tax on top of it :/

15. Faenwen

Faenwen Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

hello there,

have to say for europeans its way cheaper to buy gametimecodes here:

http://www.uogamecodes.com/store/prod_detail.asp?ProdID=UOSTYCODE&CartID={42076DB3-8544-42FF-919D-4DCB091BE699}&PromoID=996

you are even able to pay without creditcard.

16. S.P.A

S.P.A Journeyman

I'll be watching my online banking to see what they are charging in the UK.

When updating the subscription in the new website, first gives you the options of paying £9.99/month* and the * says Including VAT, then the next screens says it is £9.99 + £1.66 taxes.

That's not allowed; British law requires prices to be quoted including VAT and no other taxes apply in the UK.

So we'll see in a few days - at least one of my 10 accounts is due to be paid momentarily.

17. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master

You live in a Capitalistic society, everything revolves around the almighty dollar.

By the way........three dollars for 6 months? Ok, that's 50 cents a month......12 1/2 cents a week.......1.78 cents a day.....

Break that down to an hourly rate, and it reminds me of the scam from office space....the movie.

18. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

rofl office space...good point...yeah some of my friends are getting on me because "$3 is nothing," and I know a lot of other people have had to pay more tax for a lot longer, just trying to figure out what law(s) changed because they tried to pass Internet tax in VA in 2010 I think but it failed...but there's a separate tax, actually--in VA at least--which you are required to file yourself. It's called a consumer's use tax.

So basically they tax you on stuff you aren't taxed for, so one way or another I've been paying tax on UO even though I haven't, if that makes sense.

19. Rupert Avery

it said i had to pay tax an i am in the UK despite the values being in £ and it saying VAT (our good tax) is included!!

20. BahamaMama

BahamaMama Seasoned Veteran

Hmmm.. it charged me tax when I re-actived an account just now... but my state wasn't in the taxable list. I don't think "services" are taxable.