1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

TAXES!!!! AUUUUGH!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kirthag, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

omg is that time of year.... i almost forgot.... whipped onto TaxAct - and they seem to have similar account woes as a certain gaming conglomerate!

so, bounced over to TurboTax... wow... BOTH my federal and state returns are free to file there! that's kewl! guess i'm changing services now!

and... wow... i get money back!

i am amazed.

now, i think i will go to bed and sleep easier.

don't forget ppl... taxes are due soon!!!

2. Prime

Prime Visitor

I never understand why people wait to the last minute..

3. Kirthag

Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

it wasn't by choice, believe me... had to wait for a client to send me 1099.... o.0

4. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

yah, I never could either until I got to the place where I still owed them money at tax time..... these are the same people that made me wait nearly a year for a form so I could settle an estate, so uhh... yeah, not payin' til I have to ;)

5. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

Tax returns bring bad memories for me....a few years ago the IRS audited me, I fought it, eventually I won and proved that they were wrong. Two weeks later they audited me again. They were still wrong, but it would have cost more to fight it again than it was worth. I'm completely sure if I fought it and won again they would have done it a 3rd time....they said it was random selection....pfft sure it was lol. :thumbdown:

6. Kirthag

oh! i was audited once... worst invasion of privacy EVEH!
    and yeah, i won... and yeah, i went through it another 4 times before they finally left me alone. o.0

7. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Stratics Legend
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

RNG

Captn Norrington likes this.
  8. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

When I am made Empress, the first thing I'll do is abolish the IRS as it exists today and replace it with a simple system that requires only one page of easily understood instructions. :scholar:

9. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

Take it from a CPA: If you're being audited, then going forward, you should use a service such as H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt. Yes, they will probably charge you a few hundred dollars, but its worth it. Buy the "peace of mind" protection (usually only an additional $35-$50) when you get your return finished, and if you get audited or have to go to court, H&R Block will do it virtually free of charge (as long as you didn't lie or intentionally leave any information out). I'm a CPA and I still have H&R Block do my taxes every single year. It's worth every penny.

Also... Turbo Tax got majorly hacked this year. A lot of people had information stole. Do. Not. Use. It.

10. Kirthag

When last I used "the block" - that is when I was audited... and the subsequent four times also after going to different offices of the block. I will not go to the block again. Maybe Hewitt - but should I trust a tax office that sets up temporarily in WalMart? :eyes: I dunno....

Personally, I will elect @old gypsy as empress and let her abolish the whole IRS system! Yeah... i like that! :banana:

11. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

Actually (although I realize it will never happen) I think only individual states should be able to tax individuals that live within their borders; and then the state governments could pay a fair portion of the taxes they've collected to the federal government.

Kolka likes this.
  12. Kirthag

Interesting concept.... hrm, maybe I'll have my baby sister write some letters. Everytime that woman writes a letter, something in the world changes. :eek2:

old gypsy likes this.
  13. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

After the tax solution, my next act as "empress" would be to disband the U.N. :D

Needless to say, none of my schemes are likely to succeed. :naughty-angel:

Kolka likes this.
  14. Kolka

Kolka Babbling Loonie
    Professional Campaign Patron

I would recommend using an accountant. One with a permanent location. These are the people who generally do the accounting and taxes for the local businesses, and as such have kind of seen it all. And with a tax system where the rules change often and without notice, and the IRS makes frequent mistakes, it is money well spent. Plus, it's hard to put a price on the peace of mind that comes with being able to say "here, this came from the IRS. Take care of it".

Kirthag likes this.