1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Fishing] Template Advice for non-combat Fisher

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Loren, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Loren

Loren Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

If I do not intend to do the Fabled Fishing Net Spawns with a particular character, would GM Magery do for defense/combat from random mobs?

Would fit nicely on utility toon if so.

2. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

DJAd likes this.
  3. Loren

Loren Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Roger. I do not want to solo him. My inquiry was a different way of asking: "is GM Magery sufficient for all other fishing tasks, where the concern is random mob encounters, Tram waters only"

4. DreadLord Lestat

Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

You would want a reptile slayer spell book for the Leviathan, Kraken, and sea serpents

Loren likes this.
  5. Tamais

Tamais Lake Austin Reporter
    Reporter Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Editor

Yes, gm magic is fine for killing the sea serpents and water elementals. It is also high enough to do green nets. My friend Nikka has non problems. She doesn't use a slayer spell book instead she uses a sea serpent talisman fron the heartwood quest. And if you should die on board the ship, your helmsman still follows orders.

Loren and DreadLord Lestat like this.
  6. DreadLord Lestat

Yes, I forgot all about the Talisman. I might swap out my book for a talisman so I can use a different book. Thanks Tamais!

Loren likes this.
  7. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I use the following basic template for my resource gatherers on quite a few shards:

100 Mining
    100 Lumberjacking
    100-120 Fishing
    80-100 Magery
    100-120 Musicianship
    100-120 Peacemaking
    Remainder could go to tinkering or evaluate intelligence.

I used to have lumberjacking on my carpenter and mining on my blacksmith. However, changes made over the years to carpentry and blacksmithing skill made it unnecessary to continue trying to jam those extra resource-gathering skills onto crafter characters and it made sense to me to just put everything related to gathering resources that doesn't normally involve much combat into a single character and give that character peacemaking skill to help handle the occasional pesky mob that she would need to subdue to either flee from or try to kill a bit slowly with limited magery skills. While fishing, I usually cast a fire elemental to help with killing sea serpents and water elementals. As long as magery (real or boosted with book or jewelry) is about 90 or higher, that's all that's needed in the magery department. Mind blast spell works well for killing stuff with magery that isn't boosted by evaluate intelligence skill and 90 magery is more than sufficient for marking runes or casting gate spell.

I've never used any of my fishers to toss a fabled fishing net. They seem to be pretty hard to get anymore and I figure if I ever did get a chance to throw one, I'd probably try to get some guildmates to go with me to kill the spawn.

DreadLord Lestat likes this.
  8. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I use a water elemental slayer scrappers compendium on my fisher (and, although I don't need it, it has additional +magery on it), and when I'm fishing, I will often summon a water elemental and an air elemental (to use all 5 slots, and give me two caster allies) if there's a chance something will show up.

I would suggest using a 105 or 110 Magery PS so that if you have jewelry or a book to put you over 100, you can utilize it (and summons fail a lot more than they should; every little bit helps).

If you run without Eval int, then the only spells you need worry about are travel spells, healing/curing, summons and Mind blast. All the damaging spells that the slayers would help on are dependent on Eval, and I don't know if they ever changed Mind Blast to get SDI from bonuses or slayer (it definitely didn't a few years ago, at least for the slayer).

9. Seelendolch

Seelendolch Adventurer

My temp is
    Lj
    Mining
    Fishing
    Cooking
    Magery
    Med
    Eval
    Magery is 96 atm, have had no trouble from sea serpents, i normally move boat a few tiles, cast a demon, move it back. Might try other summons that people above mentioned though, cause it seems i am becoming evil lol.