1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'UO Crime' started by Salty Pete, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Salty Pete

Salty Pete Guest

What types of templates are good for a UO thief right now? In particular a good PvM/PvP template?

I am thinking about converting an existing character into a thief I am curious as to the best kind of character to use... I think I would like a character that is built on the idea of being able to effectively navigate champ spawns for both PvP and PvM. Is it better to roll with a melee character, a mage or a tamer? Or would a defense only character be better?
  2. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Dread Lord

May 12, 2008
    My preference at the moment is magery+ ninja for escapibility. Magery is the most versatile of skills. *nods* Remember every death you avoid is a win.
  3. Leto

Leto Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

May 12, 2008
    I don't think there is a template possible for a Thief to effectively steal from players and kill lots of monsters.

To steal from players you must have Snooping. Hiding & Stealth are highly recommended aswell as Ninjitsu. That's 5 skills (including stealing) you need, all at a decent to high level, which will leave you with only 2 or maybe 3 more skills to choose.
    Stealing from players is all about the get-away. So I would recommend adding skills to aid you in that. Possibly magery for it's versatility but rather a mix of wrestling, magic resist and chivalry.

Now a PvM/E-Thief is entirely different. While having Hiding, Stealth & Ninjitsu helps, moving around and escaping from monsters is much much easier then around players. You could opt to forgo stealthyness entirely and just fight your way in and out. In which case you only really need the Stealing skill. Now that leaves a lot of room for offence!
    You could fit the Stealing skill into any template you like really. Though I would recommend going for a template with magery: The invisibility spell is great!
  4. weins201

weins201 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

May 14, 2008

Magery - 102.2 - 115 Can be 120 when i get scroll
    Eval - 101.2
    Med - 101.1
    Stealing - 82 - 120
    Snooping - 90 - 90
    Hiding - 100
    Stealth - 56 - 120
    Ninja - 87.5

As you can see there are alot of points from items: Stealt/Steal Mark, Shadow Dancers, Investigators Cloak, Tomb of Knowledge.

Add the new oak leaf cloak when i get one and ill lower ther real on stelath 5 more i think and raise nija.

I can move freely aorund ALL over and steal from players easily enough at spawns and escape as well. There is enought mager to fight also at spawns.

Hope this helped.

Rem ITEMS :scholar:
  5. Hi Salty,

I've had just about every kind of Thief template you can think of and then maybe a few you wouldn't think of. Anyway, I'm currently running a Mage/Thief with just a 110 steal scroll.

Mage - 100
    Med - 100
    Eval - 100
    Snoop - 84.5
    Steal - 100
    Wrestle - 100
    Tracking - 20.4

While obviously I'm not the beat all at PVP, I can usually hold my own. I also do pretty decent at PVE, but I'm not soloing the hign end mobs.

Other temps to consider,

Steal - 100/120 (120 Not neccessary for PVP, but maybe for crate/mob steal)
    Snoop - 100
    Hide - 100

Wep Skill - 120
    Tactics - 100
    Necro - 100 (wraith/vamp)
    SS - 100 (Heal)

Tame - 110
    Lore - 110
    Vet - 100
    Mage - 80/100 (Heal/gate what not)

Someone else posted their temp, so i won't go over that. And the list goes on,
  6. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Jun 24, 2003

My thief is a mix. somewhat for fun somewhat serious.

Stealing GM-(120 eventually)
    Stealth-GM probably drop to 80
    Hiding GM
    Begging GM
    Herding GM
    Magery GM
    Eventually will add ninjitsu enough for animal form at least.
    Still toying with were to put the rest maybe med?

Seems we have a wide range of templates to look over. YAY!!
  7. Oriana,

I've had many a Thief templates over the years and I have to say that is a most interesting temp.
  8. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Jun 24, 2003
    LOL, she's been a lot of fun I must say. I don't PvP. So never needed any real fighting skills on her. She's kinda new, I started her about 2 years ago as a beggar, and she's been stealthing around herding animals to drive people nuts. Mostly friends. Then I figured after 8 years it was time to start a thief, she, having the hiding and stealth already was the natural choice.
  9. Salty Pete

Salty Pete Guest

I have two characters that I feel would be the best characters to convert:

1 is an inscribe mage;

GM Scribe
    110 Magery
    110 Eval
    110 Med
    110 Resist
    GM Wrestling
    75 Focus (convert to stealing and use items to hit 120)

2nd has this template;

80 Stealth
    GM hiding
    110 Magery
    110 Eval
    110 Med
    105 Chiv (convert to and lower to 95 +/- stealing hit 120 with items)
    GM resist (raise to 110)

I realize that without snooping I can't target steal from players, but PvM stealing is completely random steal right? I suppose I could drop resist for snooping on the second template to go with a more or less traditional mage/thief..... Is ninjitsu a must have for a PvP sneak thief? Would a warrior/ninja thief work?
  10. Robthemilt

Robthemilt Guest

My thief is a Mage thief with Detect.
    Detect 100
    stealing 120
    snooping 100
    stealth 120
    ninja 100
    hiding 100
    and tracking 20.1

or at least he will be going back to this soon. I've done everything I would want my thief to do within game limits. The only real Flaw is having to count on summons to kill for me. With all my gear the standard PLUS specialized skill jewels (45 extra). I have plenty of skill points left over. I'm not sure if they'll go into focus or med. OR maybe some spellweaving. Geez Anyone have any input? focus, med or spellweaving?

Oh ya, I dont remember who said 120 stealing isn't required for PVP thief, but If i had missed the steal, when i got a ****** with uninsured Inquis i'd have put my laptop through the wall. As well as some other minor stuff.
  11. Mazulat

Mazulat Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

May 26, 2004
    Been running mine now for awhile. I have snooping on a stone but I rarely target players anymore so it's a waste of 100 points.

120 stealing (gm real with shadow dancer legs and a 20 ps)
    120 stealth ( gm real with shadow dancer legs and a 20 ps)
    100 hiding
    100 tracking
    100 detect hidden
    110 magery
    110 eval

Until the addition of the new faction items (quit factions over that junk), she was mainly a faction sigil thief and a crate runner but I sometimes dropped eval for snoop when I wanted to take aids, regs, or ect while defending. Not the strongest template by any means but very diverse in uses and strong enough to live thru most fights with the proper suit.
  12. J0KING

J0KING Guest

Although my thief doesn't do to well in the PvP circuit... I have no trouble with PvM...

120 Magery
    120 Eval
    120 Meditation
    120 Music
    120 Provoke
    120 Stealing

Before music/provoke... I had hiding and stealth... but then I realized I was hunting in between spawns so I really didnt use the skills that much so I swapped them out and depended alot on invisibility...

Sorry couldn't offer more help with the PvP thief... good luck and have fun!!!
  13. Quenchant

Quenchant Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend 4H

Jul 12, 2004
    I actually prefer Chiv for recall (doesn't apply to Siege of course). The delay in the spell before transporting, allows me to hit the hide button and arrive at the new destination hidden 100% of the time.

Yes, folks will here me recall in , but they never see me.

I think herding is fun little skill to put on a stealther thief too. It's kinda fun to herd some critters around and cause some havoc with folks. It also has it's benefits for defense a bit too.

I have 3 thief's, but the one I play the most is my faction thief.

14. Good Point, I didn't even think about that aspect of it.
  15. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Jan 5, 2001
    My thief is still semi-set up for use in Magincia releasing ghosts, I stoned her begging to put back her magery to give her more ability to kill off her marks to get fresh spawn. Currently she has this:

Stealing 120.0 (Shadow dancers leggings)
    Stealth 120.0 (Shadow dancers leggings)
    Spirit Speak 110.0 (some from Bloodwood Spirit)
    Necromancy 106.1 (some from Bloodwood Spirit)
    Magery 101.3
    Hiding 100.0
    Meditation 100.0

Character attributes aside, on a 'personal' level, I'm a wuss who doesn't like to upset people so I'll never be a pvp thief.