1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Thanks to UO team and thanks to all! They listen to us!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by imported_athos_uo, Feb 28, 2008.

1. I have written a little about this already in a reply to Kilandra's post, but I'd like to add some more points.

What Kilandra wrote in her post has an epoch-making importance for us Japanese players. I'd like to write about it chronologically.

I posted on January 12, 2006 as follows:
    <blockquote><hr>

athos_uo
    Adventurer
    Re: Knock' Knock : Whos not there [Re: Wilki_EA]
    #6375000 - 01/12/06 08:10 AM

I think EA should make a path, through which devs could get feedbacks from UO community of Japan. We Japanese players cannot pass on our feedbacks or wishes directly to the devs of EA because of the language barrier.

For example, we were aware of the problem of "Parry's dependence on dexterity doesn't work"(cf. my post ) before over one year. It is very difficult for us to explain such a complicated thing in English. I have once posted about it, but no one paid attention to my post at that time. The poster from Japan must explain it most clearly in order to get attention paid. Therefore, I made an experiment by myself to convince the UO community of Stratics of the fact. But it took me one hour to carry out the experiment and two hours to explain it in English. I am now logging in UO for about an hour every day, so this post equals to three days of my UO experience.

Please consider making the path through which we Japanese could pass on our feedbacks to devs, which would make both you UO community of Stratics and us UO community of Japan happy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ( To tell the truth, a dev sent me a PM about this post - it was from Draconi. I was really happy at that time, because I could feel I was not alone. Thanks!)

Shortly after that, the official web site of EA Japan was renewed and provided with a feedback form. This was a great step, but one thing that is very important still lacked - informations.

Players can not send good feedback without getting enough informations, even though there is a way to send feedbacks.

You the members of Stratics might not be able to understand what I say. Stratics plays actually the role of an official tool for communication between players and UO team, but it is formaly a player-run community. So EA Japan treated posts of devs on Stratics as their private messages and didn't translate them into Japanese, even if they included very important informations about the game. So we Japanese couldn't get those informations officially. My site or some other Japanese player fan sites translated them, through which Japanese UO players got informations.

I had posted over and over again that these important informations should be posted not privately on Stratics but officially on uo.com, and bothered Jeremy several times. But this didin't function well at all.

--

But since about two weeks, EA Japan began to translate the contents that posts of devs on Stratics informed into Japanese on their official site. I had thought, at first, that they have changed their way and decided to treat Stratics as official, but it was not correct. It was Kilandra that informed EA Japan with these contents. At last --- at last we can have a path through which Japanese players get to devs' informations officially!

I thank you very much to devs and to UO team and to all here! *bows*

2. Guest

Guest Guest

That's great, Athos! [​IMG]

I'm glad the Japanese players will get to spend more time playing now that information is easily found *and* understood!

I hope that you and your friends have a great time, in-game and out! ^^

3. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

What they *should* do is have focus groups.

IE - Find 4-5 people with deep understanding of various areas and then bounce ideas and plans off of them for input.

It exactly what we do at my software company. We find some customers we can trust - invite them to a summit - and listen to what they want regardng our products.

I would be more than happy to chair a smith/tailor/fletching/tinkering group that would provide feedback regarding bugs, changes etc.

When you throw out stuff to all of stratics you get too much noise. IE people hop on the crafting threads to start going off about their thoughts and they haven't picked up a hammer in years if ever. You get a tamer thread and every person tamer and non-tamer come in to toss in their .02. Its hard to get an understanding of what is good for the game.

The best thing is to find the subject matter experts and create focus groups. A 1 hr conf call with the focus group once a month would provide alot of feedback and take minimal effort.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

That's pretty cool Athos. [​IMG]

5. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I'm glad that Japanese players are finally getting a bread crumb thrown at them, but....

I also find it ridiculous that it has taken 10 and a half years to get this in place. I've made comments about how the EA/Mythic/UO management appears to believe they have all the time in the world to fix things, when in reality LONG TIME vets are leaving, and not returning, due to the speed in which things get resolved. Oh sure, if there's revenue at stake, EA will do a shard revert and have a patch in place within hours. If the issue is a broken system or an oversight, it takes FRIGGIN YEARS to get any action taken. Making a list to support this assertion would take entirely too long, but I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about.

I do sincerely hope that this (once again) "new" dev team will turn things around, but I am years beyond having any faith in EA at this point.

$.02