1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest! On January 27th Stratics will be brought down for an extended maintenance period. This period may take upwards of 12 hours to complete. Please check the thread in the Announcements forum for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

the 3 new factions?

Discussion in 'UO Developer Feed' started by UODevTracker, Mar 27, 2010.

1. UODevTracker

UODevTracker Guest

2. Mark_Mythic

Mark_Mythic UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

New fiction will be coming out soon to give backstory to the change to 3 factions and what kind of "personality" they will have.

I think we are going to give some kind of legacy title to the players who are in the current factions whenever we finally retire them... something like, "True Britannian Loyalist" or "Reputed Shadowlord Worshiper" or whatever. Just to memorialize the old system.

The old system has some stuff in it that is just broke. Like, for example, the faction silver system. We couldn't put enough stuff to buy in the game to soak up all that silver. We are making some pretty big changes to the way things worked and we felt like it would be easier to swallow if players felt like it was a whole new ball game.

Also, we talked to EMs and some other testers and the general consensus was that we are going to make someone feel singled out if we just hit the D button on one of the factions. If we just make 3 new factions it is more fair.

The good news is... you get to try it today on a TC.

3. Mark_Mythic

Mark_Mythic UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Didn't mean to be insensitive, I said, "or whatever," because I've seen a bit of backlash on our working names of the factions and I didn't want the post greeted with "it's a terrible title for a former TB" when I had spent all of 2 seconds considering it.

All I can say is, I really hope you all try what we put on the test center. We would love your feedback. The most helpful feedback is from people who actually try it. Our intent is to improve the system not break it, which is why we are putting it up incrementally on a seperate shard and going to test the heck out of it.

Currently, everything that we haven't explicitly said we have changed is exactly as it is on live shards so the whole thing should feel familiar.

As for the point system being broken, we agree... that is why it was changed in the first phase.

There is no plan to have faction fighting in Trammel. However, there is intent to let a non PVP character be associated with a faction... like a rebel sympathizer or something. It will probably use a variation of the loyalty system we added in Stygian Abyss.